Bad People

Post discussions or questions regarding Christianity here.
Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Bad People

Post by Grizz Gallant » January 30th, 2019, 6:04 am

I am working on a rough draft of a Chapel lesson I am going to teach at school this week. If you have a minuet to look it over and give me some feedback it would be appreciated. It goes along with a puppet script so you are missing a bit of context, but still.

Prayers would also be appreciated. Thank you.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

So why doesn’t God get rid of all the bad people in the world? Surly if God is a loving God he would fix all the problems of the world and make it a better place for the good people.

That is a big question that many people have. Often it causes them to feel a lot of doubt and pain. There are alot of other questions tied into this one as well. For example “Doesn’t God care that I am hurting?”. Since there is so much depth to this question there is also a lot of depth to the answer. More than we can get into in one day. But let’s do our best and look at one piece of this question today.

Let me start by saying though that it is okay to ask questions like this. God is not scared of questions. If you pray about them, and study them, He will help you find an answer. It might not be the answer you wanted, or hoped for. But He will give you an answer all the same.

Let’s have a look at John 4: 4-18.

7 A woman from Samaria came to draw water. Jesus said to her, “Give me a drink.” 8 (For his disciples had gone away into the city to buy food.)9 The Samaritan woman said to him, “How is it that you, a Jew, ask for a drink from me, a woman of Samaria?” (For Jews have no dealings with Samaritans.) 10 Jesus answered her, “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is that is saying to you, ‘Give me a drink,’ you would have asked him, and he would have given you living water.” 11 The woman said to him, “Sir, you have nothing to draw water with, and the well is deep. Where do you get that living water? 12 Are you greater than our father Jacob? He gave us the well and drank from it himself, as did his sons and his livestock.” 13 Jesus said to her, “Everyone who drinks of this water will be thirsty again, 14 but whoever drinks of the water that I will give him will never be thirsty again. The water that I will give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life.” 15 The woman said to him, “Sir, give me this water, so that I will not be thirsty or have to come here to draw water.”
16 Jesus said to her, “Go, call your husband, and come here.” 17 The woman answered him, “I have no husband.” Jesus said to her, “You are right in saying, ‘I have no husband’; 18 for you have had five husbands, and the one you now have is not your husband. What you have said is true.”
In this section we see Jesus talking to a Samaritan woman. She was also a woman who was living with a man who was not her husband. Both of these things are things that Jews of the day would consider to be proof that she was a bad person. And yet Jesus talks to her. In fact he talks to her about salvation.

Now let’s look into the book of Romans. Romans 3: 11-20.

None is righteous, no, not one;
11 no one understands;
no one seeks for God.
12 All have turned aside; together they have become worthless;
no one does good,
not even one.”
13 “Their throat is an open grave;
they use their tongues to deceive.”
“The venom of asps is under their lips.”
14 “Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness.”
15 “Their feet are swift to shed blood;
16 in their paths are ruin and misery,
17 and the way of peace they have not known.”
18 “There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
19 Now we know that whatever the law says it speaks to those who are under the law, so that every mouth may be stopped, and the whole world may be held accountable to God. 20 For by works of the law no human being[c] will be justified in his sight, since through the law comes knowledge of sin.
This section of Romans tells us that there are no good people in the world. All of us have done bad things. All of us sinned and are deserving of God’s judgment. If God suddenly chooses to get rid of all the bad people in the world, we are all on that list. Fortunately, Paul does not stop the book of romans there. He keeps going.

Romans 3:22b-25a

For there is no distinction: 23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24 and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25 whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith.

Even though God know all the bad things we have done, just as he knew all the bad things the woman at the well had done, He still offers us salvation through faith in Jesus Christ.

So why doesn’t God get rid of all the bad people? He is being patient with us. He wants as many of us as possible to accept the gift of salvation. If you have already accepted that gift he was patient in waiting for you to do so. So if you find yourself wishing that some mean or cruel person would just disappear forever. Remember God is being just as patient with them as He was with you. Maybe we should stop more often and pray for those people, instead of wishing bad on them. When compared to the holy standard God sets for us I am no better than even the worst person on the planet. I should be thankful that God was and is patient with me, and understanding that he treats others that way too.

I want to leave you with 2 Peter 3:9

9 The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.

If you have not yet received salvation. Today would be a good day for that. While God is patient he is also just and He won’t wait forever. One day we will have to face the judgment of God. Either we will be justified through faith in Jesus, or we will have to face the fact that without Him there is no way to be good enough. If you have any questions please come talk to me, your pastor, or any other teacher here. With the Lord’s help we will do our best to help you with any questions you may have.
word count: 1217

NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Nils Sargon
Origin Profile: Nils Sargon
UPlay Player: Nils Sargon
Battle.net Profile: Nils Sargon

Re: Bad People

Post by NilsSargon » January 30th, 2019, 7:29 pm

It looks like a good lesson to me Grizz, one verse that came to mind while reading through it was Isaiah 64:6 "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags..." goes along well with the Romans 3:11-20 passage. it is also a verse that has a great visual representation, which could possibly go well with your puppet skit. Just my two cents :)
word count: 73
"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » January 30th, 2019, 9:16 pm

Grizz, I appreciate that you pointed out that God isn't afraid of questions. That's important (because what kind of god is afraid of you finding out the truth?).
word count: 30

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » January 31st, 2019, 5:36 am

Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback. It is appreciated.
word count: 14