A Sinful Woman Forgiven

Post discussions or questions regarding Christianity here.
Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

A Sinful Woman Forgiven

Post by Grizz Gallant » February 26th, 2019, 5:58 am

My turn to lead school wide chapel is coming up again. I am having trouble focusing my thoughts on this and would appreciate prayer for this lesson.

Also I have posted some rough thoughts on where I am going below. There is a puppet script that will be performed first so you are missing that. But I would still appreciate any thoughts or feedback you have on this. Please do not feel intimidated to just reply. I am in no way better than you, and an off the cuff response would be just as helpful as a well thought out on.

Thank you!

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Luke 7:36-50

A Sinful Woman Forgiven

36 One of the Pharisees asked him to eat with him, and he went into the Pharisee's house and reclined at table. 37 And behold, a woman of the city, who was a sinner, when she learned that he was reclining at table in the Pharisee's house, brought an alabaster flask of ointment, 38 and standing behind him at his feet, weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears and wiped them with the hair of her head and kissed his feet and anointed them with the ointment. 39 Now when the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, “If this man were a prophet, he would have known who and what sort of woman this is who is touching him, for she is a sinner.” 40 And Jesus answering said to him, “Simon, I have something to say to you.” And he answered, “Say it, Teacher.”

41 “A certain moneylender had two debtors. One owed five hundred denarii, and the other fifty. 42 When they could not pay, he cancelled the debt of both. Now which of them will love him more?” 43 Simon answered, “The one, I suppose, for whom he cancelled the larger debt.” And he said to him, “You have judged rightly.” 44 Then turning toward the woman he said to Simon, “Do you see this woman? I entered your house; you gave me no water for my feet, but she has wet my feet with her tears and wiped them with her hair. 45 You gave me no kiss, but from the time I came in she has not ceased to kiss my feet. 46 You did not anoint my head with oil, but she has anointed my feet with ointment. 47 Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.” 48 And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.” 49 Then those who were at table with him began to say among themselves, “Who is this, who even forgives sins?” 50 And he said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”

We have just heard the Answer Guys explain to us that in the eyes of God all sins are the same. In one sense this is true. The Pharisee in the passage I just read ought not to have thought so little about this woman who came to Jesus seeking forgiveness. Like we talked about last time I was up here all of us have sinned and all of us need the forgiveness of the Lord. We should never try to justify doing something because it is only a small sin. Like the Bible tells us in Romans 6:23 “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” By our actions all of us deserve hell. However, those of us who have accepted Christ as our savior have been granted mercy through that faith just as the woman in the passage I just read did. Since there are no small sins in the eyes of God, no sins that are no big deal, we should not be intentionally doing things that are sin, then lying to ourselves about it being a small sin. There are no small sins.

Likewise, we can not look down on others because they have done worse things than us. If someone with a terrible past has been saved, they are just as forgiven as any of us who have been saved. If they have not been saved, than rather than looking down on them, or hating them, we should feel sorry for them. They don’t have God’s forgiveness. They have not accepted it. We need to be praying for them, not looking down on them. We were just as lost before we found the Lord as they are now.

If you have not accepted the Jesus as your savior please talk to me, your teacher, or your pastor about that. We would be happy to help you with that.
word count: 804

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Re: A Sinful Woman Forgiven

Post by Kesarahk » February 27th, 2019, 1:35 am

It's a pleasure to read your posts, Grizz. =)

It's brief and to the point. I think in the setting you're giving it, that's good; you'll be done before young attention spans implode.

I'd use the phrase "have compassion on" rather than "feel sorry for," the reason being I perceive the first phrase as less liable to being interpreted as an invitation to patronize (which is opposite your intent).

If we're saved, our sins are actually worse than those of unsaved people. We know better; they don't.

I don't know if this serves the focus of your message, but I personally find it life giving that God can actually use my biggest sins for good -- not that they ARE good, ever -- but His ability to redeem their fallout is unlimited. So a person with a terrible past is not barred from being used mightily by God. He's in the business of "wrenching good from evil." Ginger told me once that regret is a weapon of the enemy and not to give in to it.

I saved the best for last, and it's very much not mine: a Spurgeon quote. =) (I'm not saying add it to the lesson, just thought it had the same spirit of compassionate outreach.)
“If sinners be damned, at least let them leap to Hell over our dead bodies. And if they perish, let them perish with our arms wrapped about their knees, imploring them to stay. If Hell must be filled, let it be filled in the teeth of our exertions, and let not one go unwarned and unprayed for.”

― Charles Spurgeon
This is how I feel about my family. It's how we should feel about everyone.
word count: 293

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » February 27th, 2019, 5:53 am

Thank you to anyone who prayed for this lesson. I found it much easier to work on today.

Thank you for your feedback Kesa. I changed “feel sorry for” to “feel kindness toward”. I have also added this section:

None of what I just said said is easy to do. It is not easy to feel compassion toward somebody who has hurt you. I know, I have been there. When I know I am lacking something that the Lord wants me to have, when I have difficulty reacting in a way I know the Bible says I should, I pray and ask God for help. I am a broken person, with many flaws, who makes mistake everyday. But I ask God to help, and He does. Little by little he has made me a better person. What is more he uses me, and loves me even though I am such a broken person. I am amazed that the God who made the entire universe, is willing to listen to the pain of one peice of it, and help me. Turn toward Him and ask for his help and he will help you too. Thank you Lord for being willing to take the time to help us.
word count: 206

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » February 27th, 2019, 9:06 am

You're so welcome. You know your audience best. I meant to add "these are just suggestions." x) Everything you added is true.
word count: 23