The Parable of the Talents

Post discussions or questions regarding Christianity here.
NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: The Parable of the Talents

Post by NeoJabez » April 24th, 2017, 11:46 pm

The CareBear™ hath spoken!
word count: 4
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » April 24th, 2017, 11:53 pm

Cool, now to find metric feet...
word count: 6

Grizz Gallant
Ark: SE Division Leader
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » April 25th, 2017, 10:18 am

Noun 1. metrical foot - (prosody) a group of 2 or 3 syllables forming the basic unit of poetic rhythmmetrical foot - (prosody) a group of 2 or 3 syllables forming the basic unit of poetic rhythm

Now my head hurts.
word count: 39

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » April 25th, 2017, 11:58 am

Somebody kick you with their metrical foot?
word count: 7

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » April 29th, 2017, 1:47 pm

Some of my thoughts:

The 1st and 2nd servants seem to receive the same reward, the joy of their master and more responsibility. This in spite of the fact that they were not given the same things to start out with. Perhaps their master knew that they had different gifts and abilities. At any rate we as the readers of the parable definitely do. Some of us are gifted financially, in speech or in any number of things. It is also important to note that we will be held accountable for how we use those things. Forgive me for using a non-biblical reference but there's a saying that I have taken a liking to, “Act with wisdom, but act.” We ought not to sit on our gifts and make no use of them. Nor should we use them for our own gain. But to bring glory to God. God is not interested in our excuses for not doing so. God will give us all we need to do that which he has given us to do. Philippians 4:13
word count: 181

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » April 29th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Oh, and the secondary moral of this thread, don't put your metrical foot in your mouth.
word count: 17

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Post by shadowsbane » May 2nd, 2017, 9:01 am

The context of the parable is very important, as is the context of any verse. In chapter 24 Jesus was just instructing them about the coming of the Son of Man and the destruction he will bring to this world for those who don't follow him. He tells them that "no one knows the day or the hour" in which he will come, and says this:
"Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom his master has set over his household, to give them their food at the proper time? Blessed is that servant whom his master will find so doing when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will set him over all his possessions. But if that wicked servant says to himself, ‘My master is delayed,’ and begins to beat his fellow servants and eats and drinks with drunkards, the master of that servant will come on a day when he does not expect him and at an hour he does not know and will cut him in pieces and put him with the hypocrites. In that place there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth."
So the context here is the coming of the Son of Man, the destruction of this world, and the coming reign of the Kingdom of God. We can see that continuance in the beginning of chapter 25 with the parable of the 10 virgins:
Then the kingdom of heaven will be like ten virgins who took their lamps and went to meet the bridegroom. Five of them were foolish, and five were wise. For when the foolish took their lamps, they took no oil with them, but the wise took flasks of oil with their lamps. As the bridegroom was delayed, they all became drowsy and slept. But at midnight there was a cry, ‘Here is the bridegroom! Come out to meet him.’ Then all those virgins rose and trimmed their lamps. And the foolish said to the wise, ‘Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out.’ But the wise answered, saying, ‘Since there will not be enough for us and for you, go rather to the dealers and buy for yourselves.’ And while they were going to buy, the bridegroom came, and those who were ready went in with him to the marriage feast, and the door was shut. Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, lord, open to us.’ But he answered, ‘Truly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour.
The parable of the talents immediately follows, starting with "For it will be like", 'it' being the kingdom of God. Also important is the context following the parables:
When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’

“Then he will say to those on his left, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to you?’ Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
The parables of the ten virgins and the talents are metaphors for our lives and what we've been given in them. Five of the virgins were foolish and didn't take any oil with them. When the plan changed, they weren't prepared and, when the reckoning came, they were shut out. Can you think of a direct analog to this? I think there are plenty you can make, but one that comes to mind is scripture. Now I'm certainly not the best at memorizing scripture, but you can imagine the oil in the parable could stand in the place of scripture in our lives. Psalm 119:105 even says "Your word is a lamp unto my feet, a light unto my path." Plenty of us just read enough scripture to get by on Sunday and Wednesday, and hope it'll carry us through.

But what happens when life changes the plan? What happens when it throws a situation at you that you don't know how to handle? Many pastors and Christian leaders will tell you that the two best ways to get your mind right and push through tough situations life throws at you are prayer and reciting scripture. The parable can apply to many things, but don't go through life like one of the foolish ones, unprepared for the plan to change.

And what of the talents? Jesus says clearly after the parables that God will separate the sheep from the goats. Or as Matthew 3:12 says, he will separate the wheat from the chaff, and the chaff he will burn with unquenchable fire.

The servants were entrusted with an amount of their master's fortune, each according to his ability. We know that everything we have is God's. He created all that we see, and he owns the cattle on a thousand hills, as Psalm 50:10 says. Everything we have and everything we are is a gift from God. A piece of His creation entrusted to us. Your home, your money, your stuff, your time, your very life. As the master in the parable entrusted his servants with a portion of his fortune, hoping they would increase his wealth when he returned, so Christ has entrusted us with a small portion of His kingdom, hoping that we will use what we have been given to grow His kingdom.

So the question is: Will He look at you on the day of judgement and say "I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me no drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not clothe me, sick and in prison and you did not visit me." (Matt. 25:42-43) ... "I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness." (Matt. 7:21-23)

Or will you be prepared to pursue God's will through the twists and turns of life, using and even risking everything God has given you (albeit wisely) to grow His kingdom, so that He will welcome you into His kingdom saying "Well done, good and faithful servant"?
word count: 1354