Is it possible to lose your salvation?

Post discussions or questions regarding Christianity here.
Kurushii Drive
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Kurushii Drive

Is it possible to lose your salvation?

Post by Kurushii Drive » March 8th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Hi guys,

I understand it's been a while since I've really been around here. I recently heard Hank Hanegraaff mention on his Bible Answer Man radio show that it is possible to lose your salvation (and I believe he quoted excerpts from the end of Romans 8 to justify). However this is something hard for me to come by, given that our being saved isn't determined by our actions or 'works'. But before I say anymore, I first want to hear what you guys think about this.
word count: 90

Clarence
Council Advisor
Council Advisor

Re: Is it possible to lose your salvation?

Post by Clarence » March 10th, 2018, 8:25 am

Saves me typing, but there are a lot more references to confirm the statement below, not just one reference which is taken out of context.
A Christian cannot lose salvation. Most, if not all, of what the Bible says happens to us when we receive Christ would be invalidated if salvation could be lost. Salvation is the gift of God, and God’s gifts are “irrevocable” (Romans 11:29). A Christian cannot be un-newly created. The redeemed cannot be unpurchased. Eternal life cannot be temporary. God cannot renege on His Word. Scripture says that God cannot lie (Titus 1:2).

Two common objections to the belief that a Christian cannot lose salvation concern these experiential issues: 1) What about Christians who live in a sinful, unrepentant lifestyle? 2) What about Christians who reject the faith and deny Christ? The problem with these objections is the assumption that everyone who calls himself a “Christian” has actually been born again. The Bible declares that a true Christian will not live a state of continual, unrepentant sin (1 John 3:6). The Bible also says that anyone who departs the faith is demonstrating that he was never truly a Christian (1 John 2:19). He may have been religious, he may have put on a good show, but he was never born again by the power of God. “By their fruit you will recognize them” (Matthew 7:16). The redeemed of God belong “to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit for God” (Romans 7:4).

Nothing can separate a child of God from the Father’s love (Romans 8:38–39). Nothing can remove a Christian from God’s hand (John 10:28–29). God guarantees eternal life and maintains the salvation He has given us. The Good Shepherd searches for the lost sheep, and, “when he finds it, he joyfully puts it on his shoulders and goes home” (Luke 15:5–6). The lamb is found, and the Shepherd gladly bears the burden; our Lord takes full responsibility for bringing the lost one safely home.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian- ... ation.html
word count: 359

Grizz Gallant
Ark: SE Division Leader
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » March 10th, 2018, 8:30 am

I am a Nazarene, so my thoughts on this subject are largely shaped by that theology. As such I believe my views on this subject are in the minority here.

Where you stand on this topic will in large part come down to your understanding of free will and predetermination. The relationship between those two things causes my head to hurt. But here is the best answer I am currently able to give you. We can not lose our salvation. God is not going to revoke it because I failed Him at some point. However, God gave us a choice to accept salvation in the first place, and for better or worse He also gives us the choice to walk away from a relationship with Him. If I chose in the past to follow the Lord and accept salvation, but today declare that I no longer believe and die as a suicide bomber someplace, I don’t believe we would meet in Heaven. Many would argue that if you walk away from the faith you never had it in the first place. That may be true of any individual. I just happen to accept that one could also reject what was once a genuine belief.

Anyway here are a couple of links if you would like to explore where I am coming from a bit more.

http://maryvillenazarene.org/Question%205.htm
http://www.coylindsey.com/2013/07/17/ca ... salvation/
word count: 241

Clarence
Council Advisor
Council Advisor

Post by Clarence » March 10th, 2018, 8:42 am

I totally agree with you Grizz, however, that is not losing it, that is giving it away or back, which is a different context.
word count: 24

Grizz Gallant

Post by Grizz Gallant » March 10th, 2018, 8:48 am

True.
word count: 1

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » March 11th, 2018, 11:26 am

This is the most repeated debate here at CC. We've been discussing this for years and years.

I would argue losing your salvation and rejecting it are two different things. I believe the Bible teaches you cannot lose your salvation (no one can pluck you from God's hand - John 10:28)
But I also believe the Bible teaches of the possibility that man can reject his Savior after accepting him. It even goes as far as to say that these people that commit this action are beyond retribution. That they truly did accept Christ, and cannot do it again. They can't crucify the Lord twice, it says. (Hebrews 6:4-6)

I do not believe you can commit a sin to cause this or any type of lifestyle decision. I believe that this is the sin. The conscious decision to reject Christ after you've accepted him.

Typically, people who believe that apostasy is a real thing use Hebrews 6 as their main argument. Surprised the speaker you heard didn't.
word count: 174

Tobekan
Battle.net Profile: tobekan#1266

Post by Tobekan » April 4th, 2018, 11:40 am

Kratos, Grizz and Clarence pretty much said it all.

I think losing your salvation and walking away are two different things. I do not think Jesus can lose one of his followers. I think living in willful rebellion to Jesus is how anyone either rejects or walks away from him. The biblical references are a tad too many to list here. But if you're struggling with this concept, I've been there.

-tobe
word count: 74

Kurushii Drive
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Kurushii Drive

Post by Kurushii Drive » April 5th, 2018, 12:10 am

Thanks for your responses, guys. I really have been thinking about this a lot over the past month. I really don't know where to find myself if it were possible to lose the hope we have in Jesus Christ.

I am blessed to be a part of the group here. Thanks for making this environment a good place to serve the Lord and walk in truth. I've been struggling quite a bit this school year, I don't know what to say about it. I guess I will make a new thread for it to keep this one on topic.
word count: 102

Grizz Gallant

Post by Grizz Gallant » April 5th, 2018, 5:40 am

Whatever it is know the Lord loves you and we will pray for you.
word count: 14

Tobekan
Battle.net Profile: tobekan#1266

Post by Tobekan » April 5th, 2018, 3:00 pm

As some encouragement, Kurushii, if you're concerned about it...that would tell me you're heart is in the right place. There are some really good sermons out there. If you want some resources, pm me and I'd be happy to help. I went through the same struggle for a couple years when I was younger.
word count: 58