The End of the Year

Post discussions or questions regarding Christianity here.
Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

The End of the Year

Post by Grizz Gallant » May 22nd, 2019, 6:20 am

I am teaching Chapel for the school this week. Would you please be so kind as to read my notes and give me feedback? I know they are not really written for this format but it is good to hear the point of view of others on things.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

The end of this school year is coming. For some kids that is an exciting time, for others not so much. For me it means an end and a beginning. Some of my students I will never see again this side of heaven. Others I’ll see again, but things will never again be the way they are now. That is an end. It also means that I will be starting whatever it is God has planned for me next. I have an idea of what that may be, and I make plans, but I won’t know how things will turn out till the future is today. That can be both frightening and exciting. Life is full of ends and beginnings. When I was younger I didn’t handle that well. I expected people to betray me at any time, and I always expected things to get worse. Since that was my point of view it colored the way I saw the world. I ignored good things, or eyed them suspiciously. There is still a part of me, though it seems to be shrinking over time, that feels uncomfortable when things are going good. It looks past the good, knowing that one day it will end, and the bad will come. And yes, things can always get worse. But I have learned something over time. When that voice inside me that says the end is coming, whispers in my heart that this will all end, I have learned to say “so what”. Yes, there is an end coming. Yes, tomorrow may be worse that today. So what?

Hebrews 13: 5-6
God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” So we say with confidence, “The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid. What can mere mortals do to me?”

Tomorrow maybe rainbows and sunshine, or darkness and despair. Either way God will be with me. Even when I turned my back on Him, when I turned around he was still there. Things might be hard, Things might be good. God will be there to help me deal with both things.

1 John 5 14-15
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

Yes, sometimes God says no. But he takes the time to listen, and he won’t leave us. I was looking at that poster Tuesday. It says draw a picture of God’s love. At first I thought that is really hard. Then I knew what I would draw. I would draw myself curled up in ball crying. The background would be nothing but black, except for one thing. I would draw Jesus standing beside me with his hand right here on the top of my head. The God of the Universe walks into my miserable little life and says “Yes, that happened, but it will be alright.” That to me is God’s love.

I can’t tell you whether this summer will be rainbows and sunshine, or darkness and despair. But I can tell you God will be there with you regardless, and he will listen to you. Turn to the Lord thru good times and bad. He is always there.
word count: 616

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Re: The End of the Year

Post by Kesarahk » May 24th, 2019, 1:35 am

I greatly appreciate that you don't sugarcoat the fact that bad things happen. Your honesty will help those kids trust what you say and hopefully help them hear what they need to hang on. Thanks for sharing your notes; I found them helpful myself.
word count: 45

Globalkoas
Council Advisor
Council Advisor

Post by Globalkoas » May 24th, 2019, 3:06 pm

Grizz I'm not sure what grade you teach, but I'm impressed you've not left out the bad. NOT that I want to promote darkness, but its part of life. Back when I was in school you didn't get a "participation trophy" 1st 2nd 3rd.... that was it.. try harder next time. Praise should be given to anyone who tries and still in the end may finish last, but they still tried.. but a trophy for just showing up imo teach's these kids its ok to NOT try hard.. /end rant... :P

Back on subject: :) the sooner these kids realize that life isn't and won't be all sunshine and roses the better they'll be in the long run imo.. It's ok to fail, not everything we do is a winner. But sometimes you get knockdown and that's ok.. You just have to get up and move forward.

Below are 2 quotes from the last Rocky movie. My Dad and Grandpa taught me this when I was a very young and kept reminding me of it as I got older. To see it in a movie was was kinda neat. When you read through both you can see while no scripture is mentioned, God does say this to us!!!
“The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain’t how hard you hit; it’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you’re worth, then go out and get what you’re worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain’t where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain’t you. You’re better than that!” ~ Rocky Balboa
“Going in one more round when you don’t think you can – that’s what makes all the difference in your life.” ~ Rocky Balboa
For me God's word seems to be watered down greatly in the last 20 yrs of my life. It's about "feel good or prosperity" teaching now. blah blah.. what happened to going to church and having a sermon that left you asking yourself what the hell am I doing with my life??? My family called them "bloody nose" sermons. I'm not saying you need kicked in the teeth all the time, but kids now have no idea something bad can happen. It's all happy happy happy.. It's no wonder they want everything given and nothing earned.. /end rant!!

anyway.. lol.. I like the approach you have taken and hopefully some of these kids will better off from it!!

Global OUt!
word count: 504
#RomansMissYa!
https://youtu.be/ea5A8wEIwIg

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » May 24th, 2019, 7:51 pm

I remember getting that quote in a PM. ^_^
I have that PM saved to my phone for re-reading.
word count: 19