Reflection (Song) + Dreaming In Sine (Large Piece)

Vivi

Reflection (Song) + Dreaming In Sine (Large Piece)

Post by Vivi » September 27th, 2014, 7:55 am

Hiya

So yeah. It's been like 2 years and some change since my last album. Coming from one who produced one once a year, that's like, unacceptable. That's not to say I haven't been writing anything. I've just not been releasing anything. Mostly because it all sounds like junk to me, and I'm trying to do something different than my last album.

Every album I've done has been different than the last, while incorporating elements from the previous adventure. My first album was piano/orchestra. My second album was orchestra/electronic. Third was electronic/atmospheric. Fourth I did mostly straight electronic/dance, with a couple drum and bass tracks. For my fifth album I expanded on the drum and bass while incorporating something from all my previous works.

The problem I've had since my last album was that I couldn't figure out where to go with it. I have probably 30 or so tracks that I've completely finished and wanted to release, but I didn't want them to be too similar to my last outing with "Losing Focus."

So I sat down and just fooled around with Reason doing what I enjoy: Creating an atmosphere. Everyone has always said I excel at doing soundscapes for the backing of my tracks. That's usually how I start a track (or I use to, rather): Create a few pads, layer in some piano, throw together a beat, and polish. Nowadays I start with a drum track, add in bass, then start working on melodies/pads.

So I decided to try and make a song like how I used to. After a few weeks, I ended up with a couple of tracks that I thought had potential. Couple more months go by and I've got 7 or 8 songs that have a pretty cohesive sound. To me, they sound more mature than anything I've done before, and I'm kinda proud of what I've got.

Anyway, I would like to share the opening track and artwork of my next album, "Dreaming In Sines."

https://soundcloud.com/governed/reflection

It's still got a bit of a drum and bass thing going on, but I think it's far enough from "Losing Focus" that it won't feel like it's dragging, or just an extension of it. It's also not completely mastered all the way, so it may have a rough patch here or there.

Anyways, this post has gone on forever when all I really wanted to do was share the art and song. I'd love for feedback. Love it, hate it, somewhere in the gray area, lemme know.

The song was made with Live 9 and Reason 7. The album cover was made in Black Ink and Photoshop CC.
word count: 472
Latest song: At Last, Clarity

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Re: Reflection (Song) + Dreaming In Sine (Large Piece)

Post by shadowsbane » September 27th, 2014, 8:57 am

Welcome back, Vivi! I'll give it a listen as soon as I can. I like the art piece!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
word count: 23

Mordenkeinen
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Mordenkeinen » September 27th, 2014, 10:34 am

I like the artwork myself but from a design standpoint I'm trying to figure it out. I would assume your focus in the picture is the woman in the middle because my eyes are immediately drawn to her no matter where I try to look in the picture. I think a lot is lost in the potential of this picture for me because it's very very contrasty with lots of very bright areas that have lost all detail and color. As far as the rest of the parts that are still visible the main things I notice are the triangle and the woman in the middle with the main focus seeming to be the woman. Not sure what everything else is but for me it kind of resembles maybe a crowd of people but I am not sure. I would ask though that you would explain the concept behind this art if you would please. I would really like to know where you had intented to go with this artwork. Also albums seem to be related in some way either to the musical artist or the music itself that is on the album. How does this album cover relate to you. As far as the music goes I like it and I was kinda wondering if you planned to try to sell individual rights to your music. For instance some film producer contacts you would you sell them the rights to use your music in their film?
word count: 249

Vivi

Post by Vivi » September 27th, 2014, 10:14 pm

Full Art View: http://i.imgur.com/peo3Y9W.png

The idea was Lost In Sound.

When I write music, I go about it in two ways. Colors and numbers. Bare with me, because explaining this will probably make you think I'm crazy.

I examine what a song needs by what colors I need. Think of it like a painting. There may be a part of a song that I feel needs some orange. So I will create a song that is orange to me. Maybe it's a faster, darker song, and I need a hook that feels red to me (which I rarely use). I tend to stay in my pastels. It's incredibly hard to describe.

Another way I look as music is numbers. It's like mathematics. You know 2+2=4. I know that k(1,3.5)+s(2,4) will create a very basic drum and bass beat. There are constants in making music just like there are in math. Adding a variable, ex: 2(2)+2 will always make the outcome 6 or (k(1,3.5)+s(2,4)+h(1,1.5,2,2.5...4.5)+h(2.75,3.25,)+gs(3.75))3+cbf creates something like this.. I'm probably the only one who does this. Maybe I am a little crazy.

I take a notebook with me everywhere I go so I can write out songs like this when I think of something. Pages filled with colors and equations that, when viewed by anyone else, is abstract. I live in this world 24/7.

The image to me is exactly that: A girl surrounded by the abstract. And somewhere in that abstract, is concreteness. A world that only I can see.

(Not the first time I've explored this concept)
word count: 304
Latest song: At Last, Clarity

Mordenkeinen
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Mordenkeinen » September 28th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Ok not only am I completly confused but I'm comletely intrigued at the same time lol. If it works for you I guess that's all that really matters. I actually enjoyed the music :)
word count: 35

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Post by shadowsbane » September 29th, 2014, 6:55 am

That's a fascinating approach to writing music. It works for you so go for it. I do wonder if you don't have some form of synesthesia. It's a condition with a variety of different manifestations, such as words being associated with a taste or smell, so every time the person hears or says it they smell the smells or what have you. One person described how numbers are like colors to him, and he was extraordinarily good at math and found it very easy. Said he went for years thinking that everyone saw numbers like he did.

It's entirely possible that you have some form of it that allows you to see music in ways others can't.

Or maybe you just figured out a method.

Either way it means we get to listen to good music!

[ Post made via Android ] Image
word count: 145

Mordenkeinen
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Mordenkeinen » September 30th, 2014, 1:38 pm

(Not the first time I've explored this concept)[/quote]

I love this one. I see an older man practicing karate standing on rather large rock next to a lake that has a lot of fireflies hovering above it, that is totally surrounded by fog at Sunset.
word count: 47