My guy reloads his weapon/draws his pistol so slow- Mythbusters

Discuss Insurgency here. DL: ?
Ongurth
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ongurth
Location: doing fun and exciting things, such as praying, writing, shooting, or Krav Maga

My guy reloads his weapon/draws his pistol so slow- Mythbusters

Post by Ongurth » January 22nd, 2017, 10:10 am

Ever feel like the guy in insurgency reloads at a glacially slow pace? I know I've been tempted to go change out the laundry in the time that it takes him to draw his handgun. CCbandit claims he once made himself a plate of pizza roles in the time it took his guy to reload his M4. And heaven help you if you ever have to do a reload from empty on an AK, you might as well play a round of overwatch in the meantime.

Someone in the channel last night made a crack about the "guy" in Insurgency needing to practice. This got me thinking: how realistic are his reload times in Insurgency? Are they actually slow or do they just feel slow, because they are certainly slower than the bullets flying back at us?

Only one way to find out!

Let's test it! I happen to have several of the weapons in Insurgency (AR-15, AK, 1911, and a Glock, which will work fine as a stand-in for the Baretta). I also have a shot timer to record my times to the nearest .1 second.

Anyone want to help? If so, here's what we're going to need:

1. Shot to shot times for the following (from an empty weapon, and with a round still in the chamber)
a. M4
b. AK
c. 1911
b. M9

2. Video of an insurgency character doing all the reloads in third person. (we need to see if he is retaining a magazine or not. This changes this dramatically, if he is).

3. Video of the reloads in first person to ensure that he's doing them mechanically correctly.

4. If we could get the same for the draw on the M9, that would be awesome too, as I feel his draw might be a little sluggish, but would love to find out.

Once we get these things, I'll run against them on a timer, and post my times (and video).

Then (this is the fun part) we can discuss if they are reasonable handling for a marginally realistic character to achieve in a game.

One last way to participate: post your hypothesis. Will the character times turn out to be fast, slow, or reasonable? Making reasonably informed guesses is my favorite part of science! :D
word count: 385

raider2473
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator
Steam Profile: raider2473
Battle.net Profile: raider2473#1451

Re: My guy reloads/draws his postol so slow- Mythbusters

Post by raider2473 » January 22nd, 2017, 12:01 pm

I believe you retain the magazines as you can eventually load into a half empty mag. I think the reload/draw times for pistols is reasonable, but some of the assualt rifles/smgs are a bit on the slow side. It'll be cool to see how it compares to real life.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
word count: 59

Ongurth
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ongurth
Location: doing fun and exciting things, such as praying, writing, shooting, or Krav Maga

Post by Ongurth » January 22nd, 2017, 12:11 pm

Yes, it would make sense that he retains the magazines, but it appears he drops it in the first person animation. I think that a MAF (magical ammo fairy) picks up the partially used magazines from the ground and puts them back in his carrier.

The slide lock reload (or empty chamber reload for the AK) will probably be the fairest judge, but we can test them all. :)
word count: 68

Mouse

Post by Mouse » January 22nd, 2017, 12:14 pm

I would add to the testing protocols.

Some way to simulate fatigue, perhaps a sprint prior?

The disorienting effect of gunfire without hearing protection can't really be duplicated in an ethical way, but in my experience, it makes a difference. There's no good way or reason to damage your hearing, though. Safety first.

I'll be watching this space to see what the results are!
word count: 67