Next Bible Study Theme!

The Christian Crew's weekly Bible study. Discussions are welcome!
ShaddaShk
Event Coordinator
Event Coordinator
Steam Profile: ShaddaShk

Re: Next Bible Study Theme!

Postby ShaddaShk » August 7th, 2016, 8:06 pm

If there is a study on SOS, I'm not sure it would be appropriate to do it among single mixed company given the very descriptive, no unclear translation of some of the Hebrew texts. Yes, go ahead and do it totally, I'm not against a study in it especially since it is God's Word. But given that females are the minority in the group, I would probably bow out so the men can have any frank discussions that they need. In our quest for a study on sexual purity I would hate to cause hardship for those of us that may struggle to keep our purity when faced with such descriptive texts of a sexual nature.
"We've just put a hit on the man that just got married." ~Winged
"Get a Sunder and run people over. That always makes you happy." ~Kes

KustomElvis
Steam Profile: KustomElvis

Postby KustomElvis » August 8th, 2016, 1:33 am

I actually have not been to a Bible Study that focused on SoS probably since early college years, so to hear it from someone else would be interesting and I did say I would come if Winged and Ongurth jumped in to create something out of it.

The Winged Scribe
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ChronicleStone
Battle.net Profile: WingedScribe#1340

Postby The Winged Scribe » August 8th, 2016, 1:13 pm

Why do I feel the temptation to rename this thread to "Petition for Song of Solomon in the Bible Study"?

Personally, I can't ever recall hearing or sitting in on a study of Song of Solomon. I've read through it, sure, but actually having been in a study on it? Yeah, that's not something I've experienced, and I suspect that there are a LOT of people like me. It's just one of those topics that we all know exist, yet no one wants to dabble into.

"But that's a house!" ~ Michael Fedora
"Always good to have a plant." ~ Ongurth

Gidget
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Gidget » August 8th, 2016, 5:06 pm

The Winged Scribe wrote:
Personally, I can't ever recall hearing or sitting in on a study of Song of Solomon.

Really? I can think of 3 studies I've sat under, 2 in fairly recent years. Our church did a whole sermon series about a year ago and went through the entire book. My church is approximately 50% single too and I don't think they felt like it was a waste of Sunday morning sermons or useless

Could fear be a tool the enemy uses to keep us from studying such a rich portion of scripture? [Rhetorical question, but still something we need to think/be aware of]

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 10:2

http://www.lifeofkilo.blogspot.com

The Winged Scribe
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ChronicleStone
Battle.net Profile: WingedScribe#1340

Postby The Winged Scribe » August 8th, 2016, 5:19 pm

I never said it was useless (and if it came across that way, I certainly didn't mean for it to). Quite the opposite, in fact: it's not a topic that I've ever had the chance to study in detail, and there are probably a number of other people like that. It's not that I consider it useless (II Tim. 3:16, anyone?). It's just that whenever mention of it comes up, there's a certain amount of unease that seems to come with it. You're probably right in saying that it could be a tool of the enemy to keep us from studying it. Certainly fits his MO, if you ask me.

"But that's a house!" ~ Michael Fedora
"Always good to have a plant." ~ Ongurth

Gidget
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Gidget » August 8th, 2016, 5:29 pm

Oh, I wasn't wanting to imply that you thought it was useless. Sorry if I came across thay way. I was just mentioning it because I'very heard a rendition of that excuse from many single people.

I don't really care what you guys study. Our church small group meets on Thursday night so we can't come anyway. I'm just trying to fuel some thought and remind people that just because you aren't married doesn't mean you can't study the book.

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 10:2

http://www.lifeofkilo.blogspot.com

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: MikeFed
Origin Profile: MichaelFedorai
UPlay Player: MichaelFedora
Battle.net Profile: MikeFed#1151

Postby Michael Fedora » August 9th, 2016, 11:53 am

That is a problem as well, yeah Shadda. If only we had a girl leader to take the women...
Spoiler! :

We'll discuss it eventually:tm:
Arca Jeth (SW Legends) wrote:"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light."
On the Kingdom

"I didn't even know we had an army!" ~ Hunter, UK

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » August 9th, 2016, 11:26 pm

lol Michael =D

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » August 9th, 2016, 11:28 pm

Giveaway style.

Have people pick numbers.

Whoever gets the number closest to the generated one, picks the next topic.

It's the apex of wisdom.

(Not really. :nowink: )

Return to “Thursday Night Bible Study”