No Bible Study on 12-28- Instead a Talk on Anxiety

The Christian Crew's weekly Bible study. Discussions are welcome!
Ongurth
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ongurth
Location: doing fun and exciting things, such as praying, writing, shooting, or Krav Maga

No Bible Study on 12-28- Instead a Talk on Anxiety

Post by Ongurth » December 27th, 2017, 10:57 am

Hi guys,

No study this week as I want people to take the week off and spend time off (and Winged and I both need a week of break from study prep :) ).

That said, I did a presentation at work a couple weeks back that might help a few people around here.

I know that most people know that I live a pretty aggressive lifestyle. In the last couple years, I have jumped out of an airplane, competed in shooting at a national level, fought numerous MMA style sparring matches, spoken in front of hundreds of people, been hunted by special forces instructors who wanted tie me and my friends up and spray us in the face with mace, and several other extreme activities. I talk about those things a decent amount, but what I don't talk about a lot is how much of my life I have spent struggling with crippling levels of anxiety.

In high school, I used to get sick to my stomach (literally) with social anxiety before the simple activity of going out to dinner with friends. In college, I couldn't eat before a full day before asking a girl out on a date. At one point, several years ago, I was hospitalized because some of my organs started shutting down- the doctors diagnosis was that I was under too much stress at work.

As you may have guessed from reading this, in many ways, the more physical lifestyle that I choose to live was originally just an attempt to start facing my fears. I has been a long journey, and I still have a long ways to go, but I feel I have learned a few lessons that may help others. Most of what we will talk about on Thursday will come from Scripture, but I've also learned valuable lessons from sports psychology and the school of hard knocks that I will bring up as well.

As I said, I will be editing a presentation I did for my team at work for this, so it won't be our normal format. Figure about 40 minutes once we factor in discussion and prayer. We will start at 8:05 and do prayer requests afterward (this will make more sense later).

If you can't make it, no worries. Just wanted to put this out there for those who may be helped by something like this.
word count: 403

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Re: No Bible Study on 12-28- Instead a Talk on Anxiety

Post by Kesarahk » December 27th, 2017, 3:17 pm

Ongurth. I had no idea.
Spoiler! :
I will be there.

(Erm... assuming it's at the regular Bible study time... 6pm PST, yes?)
word count: 23

Ongurth
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ongurth
Location: doing fun and exciting things, such as praying, writing, shooting, or Krav Maga

Post by Ongurth » December 27th, 2017, 3:19 pm

Yep!
word count: 1

TCL_cory
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: kitty_husband

Post by TCL_cory » January 12th, 2018, 10:41 am

that must have been amazing study! My wife rikki and i too have suffered from anxiety most of our life, its not easy battle. thank you for sharing your story ongurth. Truly it gave me cozy feeling of compassion for another. if you or anyone ever need to talk to someone, i am here for you. :thup:
word count: 56
my fav verse: Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."