Real-Time Ray Tracing

Have questions about streaming or video production? Want to discuss CC's Streams or YouTube videos? Here's where the magic happens!
NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Real-Time Ray Tracing

Post by NeoJabez » March 25th, 2018, 12:39 pm

So, ever since I was a kid, the coolest form of graphics has always been 'ray tracing'...
Wikipedia wrote:In computer graphics, ray tracing is a rendering technique for generating an image by tracing the path of light as pixels in an image plane and simulating the effects of its encounters with virtual objects.

It has recently been announced that upcoming generations of graphics cards and video games will feature graphics 'helped along' with ray tracing tricks of light, shadow, and cinematic depth of field.

A brain-concussing example of this is the recent Star Wars themed demo "Reflections", please have a look:

Please note that the main graphics engine in this short is the Epic Games Unreal Engine, it has only been augmented.

Wait until graphics like this make it into VR, and everyone can afford VR! Imagine the possibilities!
word count: 141
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Re: Real-Time Ray Tracing

Post by shadowsbane » March 25th, 2018, 2:56 pm

I saw this demo. That technology looks amazing, and there's no way my current PC will ever run that at better than 1fps.
word count: 24

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Re: Real-Time Ray Tracing

Post by DynamiteTiger » March 25th, 2018, 7:20 pm

Ark Survival Evolved uses the Unreal Engine and has many problems running on anything but the best computer setups. There is one bug in particular, (D3D device has been lost), that has plagued those with cards anything less than the best for about a year where the unreal engine will crash cause it overloads the GPU with information instead of throttling the information being sent. There's a mega thread on it on the Ark bug report forums and it's been concluded that the problem lies with the engine itself and not something that the Ark devs can address directly. As such there is a bug report address on the Epic Games site that they are aware of the issue but will not fix it until their next upcoming version which will be in several months from now.

With all that said, all this new tech is exciting and impressive. But I think it's several years away from being attainable for most people.
word count: 165