Suggestions on Laptop?

Programming, Servers, Hardware, Software, Tech Talk!
TigerAceRay
Steam Profile: Tigeraceray1993
Origin Profile: TigerAceRay
UPlay Player: TigerAceRay
Battle.net Profile: TigerAceRay#1743

Suggestions on Laptop?

Postby TigerAceRay » September 7th, 2017, 5:07 pm

I'm pretty well versed on my tech but laptops aren't my forte so to speak. So I just wanted to go over a recent find I am thinking about buying for my fiancee to replace her basically destroyed Toshiba. Speaking of laptops.. in the last decade I have never bought a new monitor for my desktop that wasn't at least Full HD 1920x1080 and when you go look at the $500-700 range the most common resolutions are just 1366x720 or 1600x900. Seriously lol why has this lagged so badly. I would have thought at least 1080p would be the standard now for well.. anything besides a chromebook. What she is going to be using it for is school and some work but was hoping she could use it to get into some light gaming and that I was going to be able to use it on the go as a replacement for my Dell laptop and inevitably for random gaming and maybe streaming if I get back into Twitch again (random streams like cooking in the kitchen kind of thing, I would do most of the streaming 99% of the time from my desktop).

https://www.staples.com/HP-17-bs061st-1 ... ct_2721077

The price is currently $400 but it's only on sale until 9/9/17 and it goes back to $530. My main concern with it was the i3. I would really prefer an i5 minimum but the i5 version isn't on sale sadly and it's $630. Other than that.. it seems like a steal for that price. 17", 1TB storage (hope to one day upgrade it to a SSD) and 8GB Ram (also hopefully upgradable to 16). Oh and it has the latest architecture with Kaby Lake even if it's an i3.

My last laptop purchase was a 2013 Dell that I really only got because I needed one almost immediately but it was also an i3 but had a blu-ray drive (sadly.. that was the selling point for me at the time.. We all make bad decisions at some point lol). So it's lasted some time and got good mileage out of it but noticeably slowed down about 2 years ago when I stopped using it except for occasional use on the road. So in terms of laptop tech I've kind of kept up with the tech but haven't actively done so. Ask me almost anything about desktop tech and I could probably answer it with confidence. So is this a good laptop for the sale price? Like I said I'm sold on it except for the i3.

Thanks for the input :)

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Suggestions on Laptop?

Postby NeoJabez » September 7th, 2017, 5:54 pm

I wouldn't waste the money on an i3, honestly.

If you're going for HP, why not:

https://www.amazon.com/HP-Flagship-Performance-i7-7500U-Dual-Core/dp/B06ZZMBYJ6/ref=sr_1_6?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1504824219&sr=1-6&keywords=laptop

A Core-i7 dual-core? (For a little more money?)

or

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-17-3-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-memory-1tb-hard-drive-hp-finish-in-jet-black/5884809.p?skuId=5884809

A Core-i5 for $450?

Just some ideas. For $50 more you get an i5 and Intel 620 instead of 520.
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

TigerAceRay

Postby TigerAceRay » September 7th, 2017, 7:15 pm

That's my thoughts. I wouldn't normally touch i3 with a 10 ft pole lol but figured for what she wants to do most of the time it might be enough. That i5 definitely looks enticing! I originally told her we weren't getting a new one until I had the funds to buy a "gaming grade" or at least one with a 1060 in it. And then I realized how silly that was. The i7 is also pretty tempting. I'll have to see if I can swing the full $550 because I was hoping to do a down payment and pay it off over the course of the next 6-9 months.

Thank you very much for the suggestions!

TigerAceRay

Postby TigerAceRay » September 8th, 2017, 8:30 pm

Thought it'd be interesting/funny to show her current laptop. I've never seen one break the hinge and plastic bezel.

Went to Best Buy and they have it in stock (in store is somehow $499 instead of online $449) and did the credit check. Apparently we were kind of declined. Waiting to hear back via. mail if we get approved for a payment plan. So the laptop plan is now on hold sort of. But progress has been made for once.

Thank you for your help Neo! Stay safe down there with the Irma coming through.

Return to “Tech Talk”