Samsung s8 and s8 plus review (now with a year use)

Programming, Servers, Hardware, Software, Tech Talk!
cappiman
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823

Samsung s8 and s8 plus review (now with a year use)

Post by cappiman » April 25th, 2017, 9:29 pm

So the Samsung galaxy s8 is finally here, and is making waves in the cellphone technology area, but has Samsung really learned from their mistakes when it came to the note 7? I hope so. I have only had my phone for about a week now and so far it has everything and more than I hoped for.

So what’s in the box? Everything that you need. Comes with a USB type-c adapter, a converter from micro usb to type-c, AKG headphone (more on this later), and a quick start guide.

The version that I got was the Samsung Galaxy s8+, keep in mind my old phone was the Motorola Droid Turbo 2 (made by lenovo), and honestly this phone blows it out of the water. On the front you have the Quad HD+ Super AMOLED screen with the curved display as seen in the S7 edge, and other similar phones, featuring a 6.2 inch diagonal display, and the front facing camera and the iris scanner (more on that later). 73.4mm and 159.5mm sized phone with it being only 8.1mm thick, 0.1mm thicker than the S8. Again this phone is going to be a tad bit bulkier than the s8 due to bigger screen and what not. On the back you have the standard camera however the finger print reader is right next to the camera, and of course the glass back that features a Gorilla Glass 5 on both the front and the back.

Now for the guts, the processor in the US features a Octa-core 2.3GHz Quad+ 1.9ghz Quad 64bit 10nm Processor. This makes it one of the more high end processors for cellphones out there, and it should be since this is basically a flagship phone. The network connection however is very high when it comes to today standards, with LTE Cat.16, and Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac along with that 2.4 and 5GHz capabilities, and Nu-mimo, 1024QAM capabilities, and now it introduces Blue-tooth 5.0 capabilities. This phone can also be upgraded to 256gb Micro-SD card, and some models also have dual Sim slots as well. The operating system features Samsung UX (or originally called Grace UX from the Note 7) on top of Android Nougat (Android 7.xx)

Thoughts of the S8 Plus:
Honestly this phone is one of my personal favorites. The glass back is one of the gripes I have on this phone due to it being a finger print magnet, then again anything black that is glossy is a finger print magnet. I feel that 64gb is great and the fact that this can be used as a desktop with the Samsung Dex makes it a versatile device especially to those who cannot afford a desktop. Although I am going to have to get used to a USB type C connector. I was honestly surprised on the quality of the AKG headphones that are included, and the fact that you can tune your equalizer to how you hear is amazing along with that it actually works on most headphones, I used it on three different type of headphones. The headphones or ear buds that I used were Marley headphones, the included headphones, and Everest 100 wireless ear-buds. Obviously the blue-tooth ones didn’t work but in my personal opinion they don’t need it since they come from JBL. The screen displays colors quite well and even with the Blue Filter on it still looks amazing. The AKG headphones that are included are usually valued around $100 usd, which doesn’t surprise me since Harmon Kardon were bought out by Samsung with in the last year or so, which also makes the JBL brand. However the one complaint I have about these headphones that they are difficult to stay in my ear, but still the sound quality is amazing. All in all this is a really great phone, and if you are in the market for an Android based phone this is one that I highly recommend. Although this doesn’t come with any physical buttons this is still a great phone and with the finger print reader being capable of pulling the notification plane down it makes it easier to view suggestions and what notifications you have, on top of that the bottom of the screen is still pressure sensitive as well and does have mild play in the bottom of the screen. However another gripe I have about this phone is that it is trying to be and iphone, where you have to pull up on the screen to get your apps, however that can also be changed, and the bixby button can’t be changed at all.

4 out of 5
Pros:
+ Screen is great
+ Viewing movies doesn’t have much of a strain on your eyes.
+ Capabilities of changing the resolution
+ Customizable themes
+ Comes with adapters if you don’t have USB Type C

Cons:
- Difficult to hold with the glass back
- USB type-C
- Camera didn’t change from the s7 to s8
- No physical buttons
- Forced use of Samsung’s Bixby
word count: 867

Kurushii Drive
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Kurushii Drive

Re: Samsung s8 and s8 plus review

Post by Kurushii Drive » May 1st, 2017, 12:04 pm

Thanks for taking the time to give a solid objective review, mate. I think it will be worth the trade.

Though I have heard that it is very fragile (for instance, dropping it would be a complete disaster)? Is that correct?
word count: 41

cappiman

Post by cappiman » May 3rd, 2017, 6:13 pm

Kurushii Drive wrote:Thanks for taking the time to give a solid objective review, mate. I think it will be worth the trade.

Though I have heard that it is very fragile (for instance, dropping it would be a complete disaster)? Is that correct?
I haven't seen any durability tests on this phone as of recently but it does have Gorilla Glass 5 on both sides so it is quite scratch resistant. If this is true (as I always do) put it in a case. I have mine in a clear otterbox commuter case, and it is able for the phone to be viewed in all of its glory.
word count: 110

cappiman

Post by cappiman » June 2nd, 2017, 12:43 pm

=Update=
I can confirm that the phone isn't durable as it supposedly. I just had to replace mine a few days ago from this post date, and while that has me somewhat upset, there are ways around this by either 1 putting a tempered glass screen protector on your phone, or purchasing one that is a folio case.
word count: 59

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » June 2nd, 2017, 7:11 pm

I have the s8+ and I love it, so far. I had the s3, years ago when it was released and really enjoyed that phone. I upgraded to the s4 and hated everything about it. So I switched to the g2 (Kingsteve had one at the time and I really liked it on a road trip we went on) and I LOVED that phone. When I got the g3, though, I didn't like it as much and decided to get the iphone next. I've had the iphone for three years now and this is my first android since and I am very impressed with the camera, the screen size (which was the biggest factor for me), and the display. It's a very nice phone, so far.
word count: 129

KingSteve032
Tech Support Director
Tech Support Director
Steam Profile: KingSteve032
Origin Profile: KingSteve032
UPlay Player: KingSteve031
Battle.net Profile: KingSteve032#1134
Formerly Known As: The Boss Man

Post by KingSteve032 » June 3rd, 2017, 10:16 am

Once the glass for my LG G5 comes in today I'll be swapping over to the S8. I would get the 8+ but I feel like putting down 130 bucks. Plus the 8 is about the same size as my current phone anyway.
word count: 44
He said to them,“...if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
Luke 22:36

cappiman

Re: Samsung s8 and s8 plus review (now with a year use)

Post by cappiman » April 30th, 2018, 6:57 pm

(necro-post warning)
So after a year worth of use, and now that the s9 and the s9 plus is out thought that this would be a good time to do s8 vs s9. Honestly I still love this phone, I have come to love the Best Friend Bixby button, and the USB Type C as well. The phone still works as if it was straight out of the box and still feels snappy and the storage on it is quite frankly amazing. I don't ever get any notifications on if I am running out of space (I only have used 12gb of it so far, and that's for Images, some PDFs for TCGs that I play, and primarily music).

The problem that I had when I first got it was the Bixby button but after samsung released on what bixby was supposed to be they changed directions and is now an audio interface for the phone, great for people who have issues finding stuff on their phone or are lazy to touch their screen. Not only that the pairing with Google Assistant is great as that has more functionality than Bixby as they are completely different. They also sent out an update where you can change the Bixby button to do different things.

Now on to the meat and potatoes of this post S8 vs S9.
Nothing between the two has changed dramatically besides a dual camera, better finger print scanner placement, and more powerful insides as well. Other than that not much has changed (which is a good thing) honestly if you are in the market for a new phone, get the s8 or the s8 Plus if you want to save money, but if you are willing to pay the price for the s9 or s9 plus then get that phone.
word count: 306