MoBo + CPU Recommendations

Programming, Servers, Hardware, Software, Tech Talk!
Amroth

MoBo + CPU Recommendations

Post by Amroth » March 7th, 2018, 7:21 pm

Hey everyone!

I am starting to look for an upgrade for my current computer. I am currently running a i5-3570K with a 5-6 year old Gigabyte MoBo. I have been looking at some sites and reviews, and it seems like I should either splurge for an 8th gen CPU, or get a 7th Gen 7***K CPU (better performance with the option of overclocking). Anyone know of a better option? (Note: I am going to use Windows 10 either way, so 6th Gen CPU doesn't make sense to me.)

Does anyone have any suggestions for a MoBo? I have no idea how to buy one these days other than making sure that it supports the CPU going in. :wub:

Thanks all! Out! :D
word count: 124

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: MoBo + CPU Recommendations

Post by NeoJabez » March 7th, 2018, 7:36 pm

I've been pretty happy with my MSI X99A Gaming 7.

MSI Gaming 7: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X99A-GAMING-7.html

They start on Amazon at like $120. If you'd prefer the "Gaming Carbon Pro" version with all the RGB doodads, and the ability to run up to 128gb of ram, it's more like $400-$700.

Crazy Expensive Carbon Pro: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

I run a 6 Core Intel 6800k at 3.4 Ghz on it. The only bottleneck I might have is that I need my next RAM upgrade to have a higher clock speed.

Core i7 6800k: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product
word count: 114
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Amroth

Post by Amroth » March 9th, 2018, 2:35 pm

That looks like some good information for MoBo, but I am more concerned with CPU. I found a thread in World of Tanks Reddit about a computer build and people were suggesting the 8th gen Intel i5s because of the low power requirements and improved performance.
word count: 46

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » March 9th, 2018, 3:42 pm

I think I'm going to have to agree with you there...

The following article says that all new generations of chips should be expected to be faster, but that this 8th generation has made (technologically) like a 3 year leap.

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/kaby ... vs-7th-gen

But yes, this motherboard is extremely stable, and is ready for expansion. I run 18tb of HDDs and two GPUs in SLI off of this mobo as well.

(I'm especially intrigued by the video rendering numbers. I remember when I made my first light saber video it took like two days to render a 60 second video. Now it takes me like 3 minutes?)

Here's an example of what I mean:

word count: 123

Samuraid
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Samuraid » March 10th, 2018, 1:56 am

I'd definitely go for 8th gen. Getting 6 cores from a ~$200 CPU is far better than any overclock of a 7-series quad core could give you.
word count: 29
:ninja:

cappiman
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823

Post by cappiman » March 10th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Well do you want to pay for new ram or keep the current ram that you are using? If you want to keep the ram and save some money stick with CPUs that use your RAM (I'm assuming DDR3) if you do upgrade then you will need to get different ram which right now is really high in price.
word count: 60

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » March 10th, 2018, 5:11 pm

Cappi is 100% on the RAM prices...I was looking at RAM for my current system, and it's astronomically high. RAM has always been one of those commodities that rise and fall with supply and demand but it's been years since I saw it get as expensive as it is right now.
word count: 54