Jesus, and Religion

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Jesus, and Religion

Post by NeoJabez » May 17th, 2016, 2:59 pm

And this all affects Zidane how exactly?
word count: 7
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Post by shadowsbane » May 17th, 2016, 3:02 pm

Directly? It may not. But the religion/relationship debate is relevant to the video.
word count: 14

Imagine Wagons
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823

Post by Imagine Wagons » May 17th, 2016, 4:00 pm

Going to chime in here: Here is what he says in the clip's description on Youtube.
"A poem I wrote to highlight the difference between Jesus and false religion. In the scriptures Jesus received the most opposition from the most religious people of his day. At it's core Jesus' gospel and the good news of the Cross is in pure opposition to self-righteousness/self-justification. Religion is man centered, Jesus is God-centered. This poem highlights my journey to discover this truth. Religion either ends in pride or despair. Pride because you make a list and can do it and act better than everyone, or despair because you can't do your own list of rules and feel "not good enough" for God. With Jesus though you have humble confident joy because He represents you, you don't represent yourself and His sacrifice is perfect putting us in perfect standing with God the Father."

I actually thought this a long time ago, I personally think that Religion and Jesus can go hand in hand, while there are differences in both, however asking God in your life is the only way to Heaven. While somethings I do agree with him in the video, the Church isn't about a "Museum for the pure at heart" it's about being the body of Christ. The reason why we have "False Religions" is because, well, we don't have a direct connection to God/Jesus. It isn't like he is here right now, but rather in Spirit (literally). We have religions to STUDY God's word, not to praise it directly meaning making it our false God. There isn't, in Christianity, a false religion, but rather Denominations. The Church is supposed to be representing we as Christians, I am a firm believer that you can worship God anywhere and it is still the Church.

Is religion man made? No. Is Religion Man centered? No. Religion was meant to be worshiping God, not other things like he said in the video. like I said before there are some Denominations that have their own Quirks and their "membership" and what not, but it is directly tied to the Bible, like Baptists, and Wesleyans, they both believe that Baptism is the outward expression that you have full faith in God.
word count: 389

Gidget
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Gidget » May 17th, 2016, 4:41 pm

cappiman wrote:
Is religion man made? No. Is Religion Man centered? No. Religion was meant to be worshiping God, not other things like he said in the video.

Good summary, Cap.

And to just point out one more scripture:

James 1:26-27 wrote:If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

James makes it pretty clear there is a form of religion acceptable before God.
word count: 108

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 10:2

http://www.lifeofkilo.blogspot.com

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » May 18th, 2016, 2:14 am

NeoJabez wrote:And this all affects Zidane how exactly?

Thanks, Neo. I think you really nailed this thread :)

Zidane, do you have questions or concerns about the video that went unanswered? If there is something we can help you understand about the video, or if you have something you'd like to clarify for us, feel free to add in your thoughts. Since you posted it I would appreciate hearing your response to the video, not having the same kind of Christian/churched upbringing as others may have.
word count: 88

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » May 18th, 2016, 9:14 am

I remember when this video first surfaced. It's quite the attention grabber and a lot of people used it as an excuse to bash church. There's a distinct difference between "the church" (body of believers) and "religion". Religion is the system and the church are the people. This video is seemingly talking about false religions or at least religions that God wouldn't be satisfied with (as it's been mentioned there is a religion God is satisfied with).

I've always enjoyed the talent behind the video and the true message, which is, it's all about Christ, not the building or system of which you claim. I, however, do feel like this video was used inappropriately, at times, to push the agenda of discrediting the church. Which I don't believe to be the intent behind it.
word count: 141