Career Job vs. Job Career

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Amroth

Career Job vs. Job Career

Postby Amroth » June 22nd, 2017, 1:53 am

Hello.
You are probably clicking on this post to find out the title means. That means you are curious, and maybe that curiosity will lead you to answers, but curiosity can lead you to places you do not want to be, so be aware.

Now that the weird intro is done, let's get down to this topic.

Which is the better way to go for your life:

Have a career doing a job that you like doing

OR

Having a job/jobs that keep you satisfied enough to let you focus on a career of personal hobbies and ambitions?

I have been fighting back and forth on this topic for the last 6 months, and here is how I see the sides:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Career Job

From the moment I started university, I have always had it in the back of my mind that what I am learning will lead me to a career that will keep me stimulated and enthralled. That career will be the reason (besides God, family, or friends) I wake up every day. I see this side as the more common way to look at schooling and the eventual outcome that becomes the result. But this path comes at some costs.

You may or may not have large student debts to pay off, you may not be able to find that dream job right away, and you may put having a life on a serious halt until everything falls into place. This can push you back into starting a family or being well established (house purchase, financial stability, etc.) unless you have serious drive to work part-time or during summer and do school in between. I believe that some other issues include becoming too job focused and losing sight of everything else, and making your job more important than everything else.

But there is something to be said for finding a purpose for your life, or "Your Calling" if you will. When you find the career that excites you for life, that exhilarating desire to do your best every day because you LOVE. YOUR. JOB. When you go out the door to work, you look forward to every day as a

For me personally, I will always have a desire to find a career that leaves me always thirsty for more to do and more to learn, but maybe that isn't for me. Maybe my life will go in a different path.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Job for a Career of Life

When you look at those who don't care about their job, I think that it comes down to two main areas: they really just hate their job OR they find that everything else in life is more exciting and enticing. (I am not going to worry about talking about the first area, because of how I am focusing this topic.)

I believe that the reason people find the rest of their life more interesting is because of where their interests lie. Those interests could be games, spending time with friends and family, exploring the world, or just spending time delving deeper into topics of personal desires. Whatever the interest is, their job becomes a means to spending more time in that interest or being able to put more money towards the interest. That desire for life comes from outside work and earning money. Now maybe that personal interest can become a source of money, who knows, but I am more interested in the general idea of doing a job to focus on other things. This too comes at a price.

Without a desire for your job, you could become frustrated with your work and have to find a new job to keep it from becoming stagnant or repulsive. Alternatively, you could do something so simple and basic that requires so little thought that you can just run on auto-pilot during work hours. You become disengaged at work not being able to grow at all.

For me, I will always be interested in playing games. The time spent delving deeper into a story to experience something different or hanging out with a bunch of friends being goofy and silly can be so enjoyable. Also, spending time with friends and family are where most of my most memorable moments in life are, so it is hard to keep myself from those things. But I have try to be aware of balancing the time spent. If I become so attached to everything else with life, I could find myself just trying to fight against doing any kind of work so that I can spend more time elsewhere, and I believe that this isn't right.

Maybe this all comes down to attitude, ambition, and desire. Maybe something else. I am not sure, and I don't if I ever will be. I try to find a balance in all parts of my life, and I hope and pray that I choose to live each day doing all things to the fullest, so that I may experience everything that happens to me each day with a full and happy heart.

I want to end with a thank you and a request. First, thank you for reading through this post, I don't usually go all deep dive of thought in public, but it was refreshing to say the least. Second, and finally, I am requesting that you approach this topic, and your possible response, with an open mind and prayerful heart so as to grow more through a greater understanding of yourself, a better understanding of this topic, and how others view this topic.

Thank you, Amroth.

The Winged Scribe
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ChronicleStone
Battle.net Profile: WingedScribe#1340

Re: Career Job vs. Job Career

Postby The Winged Scribe » June 22nd, 2017, 7:51 am

Wow, what a great discussion topic. I'm about to head off to work myself (irony!), but I want to visit this later and put up my thoughts. But thank you, Amroth, for being open about this and putting your thoughts out there to prompt some conversation about this. I suspect that you're not the only one who's got this subject on their mind.

"But that's a house!" ~ Michael Fedora
"Always good to have a plant." ~ Ongurth

Crosser
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: crosser222

Postby Crosser » June 22nd, 2017, 8:23 am

Amroth wrote:Have a career doing a job that you like doing

OR

Having a job/jobs that keep you satisfied enough to let you focus on a career of personal hobbies and ambitions?

Just wanted to point out that the two statements above aren't mutually exclusive. Meaning, a person can both love the career they have and be motivated by their career to pursue personal interests and hobbies they love as well.

I love my career (most days anyway) and I really love to game, have fellowship with others and Youth ministry as some of my interests.

And, of course, one could dislike their job and not really have any real deep interests in anything. Of course, I would say that's a very rare situation, but I think the point stands.

I really like the topic and potential discussion here though! I just wanted to point out that I think there are 'at least' four options here instead of the two mentioned. However, I'm sure many people fall into the two categories you've already listed.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Grizz Gallant
Ark: SE Division Leader
Ark: SE Division Leader
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Postby Grizz Gallant » June 22nd, 2017, 9:39 am

In my opinion I believe both categories place the emphasis in the wrong place. God has a plan for each of us and a place where he wants us to be. So a better question might be "Lord where should I be and what should I be doing there?" Being where the Lord wants you to be and serving Him is very satisfying.

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » June 22nd, 2017, 6:10 pm

Amroth, I can't help hearing the intro in your voice.

Setting aside for the moment everything that kept my life from being a series of A/B choices... I wanted a career doing a job that I loved: animating. I have friends who wanted the same thing at the same time; they're now graduating from animation school, and I'm finding myself in new and strange places to which I never planned to go.

I think it's possible that, at some point, I identified myself so much as an artist -- that was who I wanted to be, that was what I wanted to do, that was the identity I wanted to present to the world -- that God took time out to remove that aspect of my life for a season so I would understand who I was on a deeper level, instead of finding identity in an aptitude that I planned to make into a career. I am who I am even if at some point I become unable to draw...

In some ways, B was forced on me instead of A -- not even so I could pursue my interests, but so I could focus on things in my life that were more pressing than that or a fulfilling career; namely, I had to survive. BUT.

I have found that in those McJobs, there is endless opportunity to observe people and their personalities and interactions, to have the negative experiences that give authenticity and "grit" to creative work, and to be emotionally present as a human being for people whose dreams have not exactly come true either.

When I think about what I'd do if I had the chance to go back in time and get an animation degree then instead of the very nonlinear life I've lived, I consider the scene from "Prince of Persia" in which
Spoiler! :
Dastan meets Tamina for "the first -- again" after he uses the Sands of Time to prevent her death... and she doesn't remember him; by going back in time, he lost the relationship he'd built with her throughout the movie.
The intangibles I've gained from my experiences are not things that are handed out during class, and I wouldn't trade them.

(If you haven't seen the movie, sorry, I don't have a good alternate movie scenario. X) Also, I'm not crossing off animation school until I'm dead, just saying that if it were an either/or I know what I would choose.)

I know I'm not falling neatly into either box here, but I hope this is a meaningful contribution to your worthy topic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts sir.

watermage856

Postby watermage856 » June 24th, 2017, 4:32 am

Amroth wrote:Hello.
You are probably clicking on this post to find out the title means. That means you are curious, and maybe that curiosity will lead you to answers, but curiosity can lead you to places you do not want to be, so be aware.

So I would just say that this is a interesting way of wording this and I can understand what you mean. Interestingly enough u seemed to have really emphasized on "curiosity can lead you to places you do not want to be, so be aware." ? I am not asking or looking at this in the view of any position just really seemed to stand out in your verbiage.....

That being said I have found many people in my life that flip flopped jobs, careers, and hobbies many times in their life ultimately to provide a life. Usually its not till their more experienced years or even retirement that they truly just start doing what they love period when life is afforded them. Simply put aim for the future endeavor. Note though If you are not happy at home you are not going to be happy at work and vice versa...

Good Luck

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » September 20th, 2017, 2:08 pm

So, I feel like there was more good discussion in this topic, but too many of us had things to do at 4am to get into it at the time. Anyone mind a redux?

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » September 20th, 2017, 3:02 pm

I'm really surprised (and sorry!) that this thread fell through the cracks for me, I've never seen it before!

At first glance, Amroth, I actually know exactly where you're coming from, as most of my life has been about one option or the other, as life seasons go, but I have actually come to a place where I realize there's a third option, and it's the most harrowing and scary of them all. I might take on the original question later but right now, here's that third option:

Option 3: Doing what you love, and making a living doing it.

It's the hardest choice...You have to live, breathe, eat, and sleep what you love. You have to love doing what you do SO MUCH that you can never get bored doing it, even if you have to, by necessity, do it for 12-16 hour stretches.

Option 3 carries some significant weight because you almost always have to schedule yourself, since you are invariably working for yourself, you have to keep focused, there's no supervisor or boss but you. There's always the chance, (even if it's minimal) that you might burn out on what you love having done so much of it, and wish you'd never gone this direction.

It takes courage to go that route...big-time courage. But I also want to point out something spiritually...

You have to be willing to try again. Sometimes, what we do doesn't produce fruit, and eventually, we have to make the decision to 'throw it in the fire'. We have to be willing to let God prune and care for us, as Jesus is the Vine, and we are only the branches. But you have to give it due effort...You can't throw something into the fire immediately because of one failure...There are lots of stories in the Bible where people didn't achieve their goal on the first try...And sometimes failure teaches us something we needed to know, like...maybe we were trying to do too much, or learn too much, at once.

This is a great topic, and it could be the theme for dozens of uplifting sermons, let me tell you. I wonder if you've gravitated towards one choice or the other since first posting this?
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Return to “Serious Talk”