Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
The Winged Scribe
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ChronicleStone
Battle.net Profile: WingedScribe#1340

Sermon Notes

Postby The Winged Scribe » June 27th, 2017, 2:44 pm

Taking notes at church is a fun exercise. One that I've neglected for far too long. Sunday, I had the opportunity to jot a few notes on the message. The passage was Philippians 2:12-13, and the focus of the sermon had turned to how we are still a work in progress. And on one wall of our church, there's a large banner of a mosaic from our most recent Missions Conference. My pastor looked at it and saw his own picture up there and used that as an illustration to show how so often, we become caught up and enamored with our own self and our own lives that we fail to see the rest of the picture that God is painting around us. So, bearing that in mind, I jotted down some notes for discussion:

1) God is painting a mosaic.
2) I am far too often overly attracted to myself.
3) God calls me to be his bondservant.
4) When I focus on my own "picture," then I am a captive of a prison of my own making, because I restrict myself from being part of something bigger.
5) Submitting myself as a slave to God opens my life to a bigger picture.
6) Denial of self frees me to act within God's will to serve the entirety of the body as God enables me.
7) Therefore, slavery to Christ is supernatural liberation.

Thoughts, guys?

"But that's a house!" ~ Michael Fedora
"Always good to have a plant." ~ Ongurth

Crosser
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: crosser222

Re: Sermon Notes

Postby Crosser » June 27th, 2017, 4:06 pm

The Winged Scribe wrote:Thoughts, guys?

Visit the doctor already! :unsure:

Edit: I know my comment is technically off topic, but I'm just saying what everyone is thinking at this point. I'll delete my post once you see a doctor. #sorrynotsorry :blush:
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." - Gandalf

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » July 2nd, 2017, 5:11 pm

5) Submitting myself as a slave to God opens my life to a bigger picture.
6) Denial of self frees me to act within God's will to serve the entirety of the body as God enables me.
7) Therefore, slavery to Christ is supernatural liberation.

One's reaction to this (especially 7) depends on one's view of God's character. If, to them, He is God the Cosmic Bully, and He is on therefore on the side of bullies to the point where His servants really don't want anyone reporting domestic abuse (Bill Gothard, John Piper) it's a terrifying thought. Slavery in that atmosphere is a kind of hell.

But what if He is a good God, and not just absent-mindedly benign but fervently devoted to our ultimate good? Dorothy Sayers says "...for whatever reason God chose to make man as he is - limited and suffering and subject to sorrows and death - He had the honesty and the courage to take His own medicine... He has himself gone through the whole of human experience, from the trivial irritations of family life and the cramping restrictions of hard work and lack of money to the worst horrors of pain and humiliation, defeat, despair, and death... He was born in poverty and died in disgrace and thought it well worthwhile." (Creed or Chaos, p. 4)

Chesterton adds: "That a good man may have his back to the wall is no more than we knew already, but that God could have His back to the wall is a boast for all insurgents forever. " (Orthodoxy... using digital, not sure of pb page)

Being slave to a God so fiercely loving and powerful that He can and does cause everything to work for my good is... well TBH it's still terrifying sometimes, but in a different and liberating way. This is a God who is very much against others misusing me and will hold them accountable for it (Ezekiel 34).

I'd say more, but I have to go to work.

Edit: fixed typo in the Sayers quote. :wub:

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » July 3rd, 2017, 10:30 pm

The Winged Scribe wrote:2) I am far too often overly attracted to myself.

4) When I focus on my own "picture," then I am a captive of a prison of my own making, because I restrict myself from being part of something bigger.

7) Therefore, slavery to Christ is supernatural liberation.

2: there was a point in my life when I came face to face with the self I was when I wasn't trusting God. It was frightening enough to drive me to "Thy will be done even if it means letting go of the last vestiges of control over my life."

4: I realized that even if I got everything I wanted on earth, I wouldn't be happy because I would always fear losing it and become willing to do awful things to keep it.

7: It's true. Counterintuitive as it is, absolute surrender (the book by that title is hard reading btw) brings peace. If God is in control, and it is His definition of success that matters, then I can trust that my personal mistakes, failed plans, failed relationships and family garbage won't stop Him from making my life successful in His time, His way. I can stop worrying about it and stop being controlled by what other people think.

Supernatural liberation, indeed.

(As for the other points... cherry picking for the win. Someone else take them. ^_^ )

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » July 3rd, 2017, 10:33 pm

watermage's discussion has been split off into its own topic:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=23065

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » July 3rd, 2017, 11:04 pm

Thanks, Ms. Moderator, I knew it was a good idea to hire you!
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Kesarahk

Postby Kesarahk » July 4th, 2017, 12:31 am

Thanks! Now try convincing Football; he was all ready with a fire extinguisher. :cool:

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Postby DynamiteTiger » July 12th, 2017, 10:42 am

I believe this is something that God is saying to the church at large. Throughout the Bible we read verses that say, not my will but yours, and he only has our best interests at heart with a perfect plan for our lives. Only in submission can we attain that kind of relationship.

Whenever I am preparing a worship set to lead, I spend time seeking God to hear what he is trying to say to his church and in what direction I should lead the congregation in worship. There is always a theme or message that develops from that set of songs. This coming Sunday is no different in my song selections which range from the hymn "All to Jesus I surrender" to this great worship song by Brian Johnson which I think sums it up quite well, "Where you go, I go".

* For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever
will lose his life for My sake shall find it. Matthew 16:25 *

Return to “Serious Talk”