Fasting from gaming for a few days

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Allovore
Steam Profile: AlloClaw

Fasting from gaming for a few days

Postby Allovore » August 30th, 2017, 4:50 pm

"This isn't something I share often so please read this with understanding and mercy."

Hello, this is me AlloClaw. I've been playing Ark alot (maybe almost too much). I'm currently in a situation of "what do I desire most? I'm not sure what I want to do with my life yet(or maybe not at all). I'm in a rather unsuccessful life where there isn't much for me to do. My family and I aren't very close. I've experienced childhood traumas from my past, and family origin of issues. and as a result I as well as all of my family haven't been close to God either. Having Autism Spectrum Disorder doesn't help either. I've also been away from my church as well because there are people in my church who misunderstand besides my pastor and a few close friends. I've made mistakes that have made even my friends and family question me and what kind of person I am. All of this has led me to have thoughts of my life that have tortured me for the past 5 years. As a result I've been unsuccessful. I'm 23 years old and I still haven't got a job(Have one but not traditional), Chose not to go to College('Cause of the harsh truth's about getting a degree), and still can't drive a car. I haven't been out of the apartment much and have been Gaming a lot since. I wanted to get started with my life but everytime I try to do something productive, I'm told, "Not yet."Which lead to more of my Gaming. I would be playing "Ark Survival Evolved" in particular for up to 13 hours a day. I've used gaming as an escape from the realities of life 'cause of all of these issues I've gone through. I've been Talking to GrizzGallant about this issue. And he told me I might need to "Fast from gaming for a few days." I took his advice and I'm trying to focus on more of my life but it's posing more of a challenge 'cause I'm not good with time-management. Because of my Autism, I tend to forget everything I put in checklists, calenders, and even notes. I'm not very organized with my life. :(

Thanks for reading in advance

Dagradon
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: dagradon74

Re: Fasting from gaming for a few days

Postby Dagradon » August 30th, 2017, 8:10 pm

Allo we are here for you and not just in game but as a community and you are in our prays.

Grizz Gallant
Ark: SE Division Leader
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Postby Grizz Gallant » August 30th, 2017, 8:49 pm

We are with you and we are praying for you.

Titan
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: TitanTheOriginal

Postby Titan » August 30th, 2017, 9:43 pm

We are here, Buddy. You dont have to go through life alone. God is there for you and your brothers and sisters in Christ are here for you. Praying for you.

GingerAvenger
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ccGingerAvenger
Origin Profile: ccGingerAvenger
Battle.net Profile: GingerAvenge#1819

Postby GingerAvenger » August 31st, 2017, 12:02 am

<3 you know I am and will continue to pray. Hopefully, I'll be able to come up for air soon from a crazy couple of weeks. :)

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Postby DynamiteTiger » August 31st, 2017, 5:17 am

Allovore wrote:"This isn't something I share often so please read this with understanding and mercy."

Hello, this is me AlloClaw. I've been playing Ark alot (maybe almost too much). I'm currently in a situation of "what do I desire most? I'm not sure what I want to do with my life yet(or maybe not at all). I'm in a rather unsuccessful life where there isn't much for me to do. My family and I aren't very close. I've experienced childhood traumas from my past, and family origin of issues. and as a result I as well as all of my family haven't been close to God either. Having Autism Spectrum Disorder doesn't help either. I've also been away from my church as well because there are people in my church who misunderstand besides my pastor and a few close friends. I've made mistakes that have made even my friends and family question me and what kind of person I am. All of this has led me to have thoughts of my life that have tortured me for the past 5 years. As a result I've been unsuccessful. I'm 23 years old and I still haven't got a job(Have one but not traditional), Chose not to go to College('Cause of the harsh truth's about getting a degree), and still can't drive a car. I haven't been out of the apartment much and have been Gaming a lot since. I wanted to get started with my life but everytime I try to do something productive, I'm told, "Not yet."Which lead to more of my Gaming. I would be playing "Ark Survival Evolved" in particular for up to 13 hours a day. I've used gaming as an escape from the realities of life 'cause of all of these issues I've gone through. I've been Talking to GrizzGallant about this issue. And he told me I might need to "Fast from gaming for a few days." I took his advice and I'm trying to focus on more of my life but it's posing more of a challenge 'cause I'm not good with time-management. Because of my Autism, I tend to forget everything I put in checklists, calenders, and even notes. I'm not very organized with my life. :(

Thanks for reading in advance

Hey Allo. Thanks for being open with us. I know that's not easy. :thup: First I want to say a few things, and then I have some questions if you don't mind expanding on a couple things.

I have had a few friends with Aspergers, and they are each successful in their own right. (I know in the last couple years they've just included that in with ASD but not sure that's what you suffer from. Having spent a lot of time with you I suspect this may be the case.) You are very bright and clever so don't sell yourself short. You have unique abilities that set you apart from others. Your attention to detail is impeccable and you're very methodical. You are still young and have plenty of time to figure out what you want to do with your life.

I know that having ASD often makes it difficult to interact with others and hold a "normal" job. But it is definitely possible because there's plenty of jobs you would excel at. A couple friends of mine who have been in your shoes have gone on to be some of the best net coders I know. You just need to figure out what interests you and that can take time. I know plenty of young people who don't figure out what they want to do for a career until they're in their late 20s or even their 30s. But remember this, a person's success is not defined by their job or career status. Success is obtained in achieving your goals. And for everyone that's different. Figure out what you're good at and focus on that. Not what you can't do.

You're never too far away from God. It sounds cheesy, but true, the saying that goes.. "He's only a prayer away." Be honest with him, tell him what's in your heart and what is bothering you, and just speak plainly. He knows your heart better than anyone in the world.

What do you mean when you refer to the "harsh truths about getting a degree" and being told "Not yet"?
* For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever
will lose his life for My sake shall find it. Matthew 16:25 *

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » August 31st, 2017, 5:56 am

Very well said, DT...
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Dagradon
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: dagradon74

Postby Dagradon » August 31st, 2017, 11:10 am

Allo~

It was great talking to you last night and I know you wanted me to try and put some of the things down here that we had talked about to help remind you so here is my attempt.

Remember there is no problem that God is not bigger than. He is our greatest strength and he will always be there for you. Always know that your past while it has brought you to where you are dose not have to define who you are. 2 Corinthians 5:17 states "Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come:[a] The old has gone, the new is here!" It is OK to recognize the past for what it is, the past. But learn from it and grow from it and let go of the pain and trouble. God wants a relationship with us and the easiest way to build a relationship with anyone is to talk to them. Talk to God and tell him of your worries, your pains, your triumphs, and your joys. He wants to help you, you just have to let him.

Don't let life overwhelm you. Set a big goal in life and then look at how do you get to that goal. From the big goal you will set small goals. There may end up being many of them which is good. Then do not focus on the big goal focus on the small ones, and only one or two at a time. That will help you not be so overwhelmed by the big picture goal and keep you from getting lost in it all. This also helps with feeling accomplished with every victory of your small goals. Then if you are starting to get overwhelmed, take a step back and ask yourself if the goal is too big and if so break it down even further. And above all else GOD is with you. Lean on him always.

The gaming aspect- I understand the desire to get fully immersed and lost in a game. The sense of accomplishment and pride you can quickly feel is great especially when you are not getting that in life. Knowing that players can come to you when they need help or answers gives us a sense of worth and value. This is good to a point but once again do not let it consume you. It is ok to play games and find some value and worth in it especially in a community as awesome as CCG is. However remember our purpose too. Genesis 2 verse 15 "The Lord God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it." We are here to take care of Gods creation. We are one of his greatest creations and we need to take care of each other and if we are so overwhelmed with something, that we are not doing our part, even a good thing can be perverted into something it was not intended to be. I my self know I can get so lost in games that I can ignore my family. At those times my amazing wife brings me back down to reality and lets me know when I'm over obsessed with my game. I know at times I get frustrated and mad initially but when I take a step back and evaluate what is going on I know she is right. And at that moment the only thing I can do is apologies and correct the issue. Non of us are perfect and we all stumble and fall, but when we do it's how we react that shows who we are. Own up to it and work to make it better. If your family says you are playing to much then let them know you understand and your reasons why you are doing that. Trying to do something productive and being told "Not yet" can be very discouraging. But giving up at that moment will not help you. Talk to family and those that say not now and find out why, let them know how important it is to you, and then have them help you make a plan to accomplish your goal.

Being close to God is a choice we all must make individually. He has already chosen us. And while we can choose God we can not force other to do the same. We can only show them God's love and be his light and hopefully their hearts and eyes will open and they will start to grow that relationship too.

Sorry if I rambled. I'm praying for you.

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Postby Grizz Gallant » September 1st, 2017, 6:28 am

I have found in my life that it is the times when I am focused on my relationship with God the other things in life work out more smoothly, if not always in reality than in my perception of them. Work at developing and maintaining a strong relationship with the Lord. Talk to him throughout the day. Look for things to thank Him for. Study His word because it is the guide for life. The Lord gives us strength, wisdom, and purpose. Keep seeking Him and His will. You are in my prayers. I believe that God has a plan for you. Whatever that plan is He will give you what you need to succeed at it, in His due time.

Return to “Serious Talk”