Do you pray everyday?

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Preast
Steam Profile: philip_preast

Do you pray everyday?

Postby Preast » November 22nd, 2017, 11:35 pm

I had just a general curiosity and I'm hoping that this discussion could spark a little more interest and thought from the community.

So as Christians, we know that in order to draw closer to Him we must do a few basic things:
1. Pray
2. Read the Bible

So, how many of you pray everyday? How many of you read your bible everyday?

Sure, most of us pray and read everyday. It's fairly easy to form a habit to say a prayer before work or bed. It's easy to read the Word perhaps while eating breakfast. But when was the last time that you went 'into the prayer closet', on your knees and really prayed to the Lord? When was the last time that you opened your bible and really studied the word instead of reading a few paragraphs and getting sleepy?

I sometimes find myself, days or weeks down the road, and I realize that I've prayed but i haven't PRAYED. Or that I've been reading the bible and I've finished the entire book of Genesis, for example, and I can't remember anything past Adam and Eve.

Is this you too? What do you do to overcome? Have you been there done that and now you know how to avoid this type of slothfulness? Did you lose interest and have to pick yourself back up?

As a Christian, it's hard to admit that I may not be following The Lord as closely as my responsibilities require. I want to follow Him and love Him as much as I possibly can and I feel like i'm really failing in my responsibilities as a servant/Son/etc...

I welcome any and all replies, experiences, suggestions, discussions and/or advice!

God Bless,
--Preast

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Do you pray everyday?

Postby NeoJabez » November 23rd, 2017, 1:06 am

I think this is a wonderful topic, actually.

Do I pray every day? Absolutely not. And it is a rather large source of consternation for me when I realize it, like when reading your post, hah.

Honestly, when I do pray regularly, it's almost always prompted by my concerns for what others are dealing with or going through. I always feel a little off because I'm coming to God only asking for something, even if it's for others. So, I try, very hard to pray more often and keep it as contemporary to my daily thoughts and struggles as I can. God knows what we deal with, but I think He finds joy just like any parent, when a child gives Him 150% of their attention. :)

Do I read the Bible every day? I do a little better here. I might actually go so far as to say yes to this one, though I sometimes ruminate on only one verse or one group of verses, as opposed to reading a whole chapter, for example. Part of the reason for this is that I have been putting together some devotions for a while, and when you really sit down and kind of study verses for yourself the way you might when following a sermon...When you take your time to really understand the context, the story behind every facet of that verse...Read commentaries on it, see how the different translations might differ in some way...You end up with a much greater understanding.

They say that, for example, imagining a goal is great, but writing it down, or setting it to a document tends to solidify it in your mind, and make it more possible in your thinking. Similarly to this, when you don't just study, but TAKE NOTES or compose thoughts based on the verse in questions, you come away with a much more specific education of what you've read.

So I guess that this, in part, is a little of my answer to your query on how I might pick myself up. I went without really reading the Bible, verse by verse or otherwise, for some time, until I started composing my own analyses of the verses.

I think many people find themselves studying more when they do this, and that's why there's more and more Christian blogs popping up. People are finding that writing their interpretations of God's Word helps them internalize it all the more.

But it could just be me. heh
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Preast
Steam Profile: philip_preast

Postby Preast » November 23rd, 2017, 10:50 am

NeoJabez wrote:I think this is a wonderful topic, actually.

Do I pray every day? Absolutely not. And it is a rather large source of consternation for me when I realize it, like when reading your post, hah.

Honestly, when I do pray regularly, it's almost always prompted by my concerns for what others are dealing with or going through. I always feel a little off because I'm coming to God only asking for something, even if it's for others. So, I try, very hard to pray more often and keep it as contemporary to my daily thoughts and struggles as I can. God knows what we deal with, but I think He finds joy just like any parent, when a child gives Him 150% of their attention. :)

Do I read the Bible every day? I do a little better here. I might actually go so far as to say yes to this one, though I sometimes ruminate on only one verse or one group of verses, as opposed to reading a whole chapter, for example. Part of the reason for this is that I have been putting together some devotions for a while, and when you really sit down and kind of study verses for yourself the way you might when following a sermon...When you take your time to really understand the context, the story behind every facet of that verse...Read commentaries on it, see how the different translations might differ in some way...You end up with a much greater understanding.

They say that, for example, imagining a goal is great, but writing it down, or setting it to a document tends to solidify it in your mind, and make it more possible in your thinking. Similarly to this, when you don't just study, but TAKE NOTES or compose thoughts based on the verse in questions, you come away with a much more specific education of what you've read.

So I guess that this, in part, is a little of my answer to your query on how I might pick myself up. I went without really reading the Bible, verse by verse or otherwise, for some time, until I started composing my own analyses of the verses.

I think many people find themselves studying more when they do this, and that's why there's more and more Christian blogs popping up. People are finding that writing their interpretations of God's Word helps them internalize it all the more.

But it could just be me. heh

That’s a great idea! I could start studying on certain areas of the scripture vs attempting to read the entire thing. If I can take it piece by piece and digest it a little more then that may help me quite a bit. I like your idea of taking down notes and thoughts about what I am studying. I think this may help me better than to sit down and reread a book or verse which can become mind numbing.

I too find myself coming to God eithbjust requests most of the time. And while it’s ok to ask in abundance, it shouldn’t be the only time we talk to him. I do a pretty good job talking to him and keeping him on my mind throughout the day most everyday. I struggle with going and finding a quiet place to sit down and concentrate on a prayer that is simply just to say “thank you” or “I love you”.

I wonder where we would be in our spiritual walk if we spent more time talking with him!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » November 23rd, 2017, 5:04 pm

That's a very good question. I mean...if we had but the faith of a mustard seed, we could move mountains. And we can be pretty sure our faith is directly proportional to our relationship with God, or at least, I would think so.

}SoC{SB Leader
Steam Profile: sbleader

Postby }SoC{SB Leader » November 23rd, 2017, 9:03 pm

Good topic, Preast.

One thing I take great comfort and joy in is that even if I don't pray everyday or read my Bible; the God of the Universe still loves me and desires a relationship with me. That's incredible. It's good news for someone as forgetful and ungrateful as me.

There is no doubt, however, that our relationship is built through these two practices (And many others! Fasting, solitude, and even celebration! There are so many "disciplines" that we can grow in). Just like with our friends, we may not get to know them better if we don't ask questions or talk with them. One practice of prayer that I have found helpful is this: to listen. Just like with our face to face conversations we don't talk all the time; why should prayer be different? Sometimes I pray "Lord, you have heard my requests. Now, I ask that you would help quiet my heart and that you would speak to me if you so desire."It has been perhaps one of the most profound additions to my prayer life. And expect to be frightened (In a good way. Perhaps surprised is a better word). God is not silent and He will speak. He has to me. :)

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » November 23rd, 2017, 9:59 pm

I really like that, SB Leader, and to expand upon what you said...

A cousin of mine shared a great prayer with me once...He said that he prays that God's Will be done...And then he prays that if he gets in God's way, that the Lord will gently push him right aside and keep right on doing His Will.

In other words, if I'm messing up your plans for me, Lord, nudge me and keep on doing what you want with me. heh

Grizz Gallant
Ark: SE Division Leader
Ark: SE Division Leader
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Postby Grizz Gallant » November 24th, 2017, 9:01 pm

In my experience the best way to ensure that you are studying the Word is to be responsible for teaching someone else. Teaching requires prep time and a certain familiarity with the subject, and that leads to accountability.

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Postby DynamiteTiger » December 1st, 2017, 4:48 pm

I've been meaning to post in here for a week..

For me, living with my wife in a small 1 bedroom apartment I find it difficult to get that "prayer closet" time. But fortunately, everyday I go to work, I spend about an hour and a half alone in the car on my commute. Turn the radio off, forget about the traffic, and just have some alone time with God. It can be really powerful. There's been times I've had to pull over cause I couldn't see through tears.

There are many great teachings I've heard on prayer but the most profound that has stuck with me was a break down of the Lords Prayer. When the discples asked Jesus how to prayer he gave them a template. I can't remember it all, which means I need a refresher as well, but the beginning is what I will never forget.

"Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name"
You're starting on the right foot in this mentality of worship. He is are loving Father, and yet He is Holy and Sovereign and worthy of our praise.
"Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
As Neo mentioned above, before getting to pur requests we need to first come boldly in worship, and then pray the Sovereign Lords will be done abovepur own. I heard a funny quote recently: God:"Give me a good laugh, and tell me your plans." :D Not that God would do that, but it just slightly puts into perspective and reminds us that His way are much higher than our ways. He works in the miraculous.

In all my prayer time, I always come boldly to the throne of Grace with thanksgiving and worship in my heart to my Holy Father and pray firstly His will be done. It reminds me of an old chorus based on a Psalm, "I will enter his gates with thanksgiving in my heart, I will enter his courts with praise.."

Let's not forget, God wants to bless us and give us favour. (Dont know the reference and the following paraphrased) The Word says "you being evil know to give gifts to your children, so how much more does your heavenly Father want to give to you all good gifts." This is where the Word of God comes into our prayer life. If you're concerned or believing for something in your life or someones else's, find scripture that speaks to that and use those in your prayers. That is no different than saying "your will be done." "Lord I ask according to your Word that you minister to these people in this circumstance."
* For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever
will lose his life for My sake shall find it. Matthew 16:25 *

Return to “Serious Talk”