A verse a day before you play

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Nacho Cheese
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: NachoCheese

Re: A verse a day before you play

Postby Nacho Cheese » June 14th, 2010, 5:53 pm

I've started back on my old reading pattern: 5 chapters a night before bed. It's the reading plan I used a few years ago to (finally) read through the whole Bible.

Recently I've been in Leviticus, having just finished up Exodus. I've been struck by the fact that God gave people the skills necessary to make beautiful art for his tabernacle and the tent. God can be honored by excellence! It gives me a reason to put effort into work: if we do anything, we should do it for God, and if we do anything for God, we should do it to the best of our ability, because He's worth it (and more)!

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » June 14th, 2010, 6:01 pm

Great point, Nacho!

(I LOVE threads like this, Mike, thanks!)

In my case, Clarence's Word of the Day from yesterday got me thinking...It's about Luke 14:18, and how when a great man invited all of his friends to a huge banquet, they all started spouting excuses for why they couldn't attend.

So the great man filled his house with the poor and needy, and anyone else he could find who was hungry.

It really makes you think...God is trying to invite you to the Greatest Love of All, and to partake (in even a small way) in Glory that belongs to Him Alone.

If you find yourself making excuses why you can't get with God when he freely invites you, especially while chasing after property, money, or other things you hold more dear, you've completely missed the point.

SYAOTA = Set Your Affections On Things Above, not on things of this world. God deserves your worship, your love, your very life, they all belong to Him, and He doesn't even FORCE YOU TO AGREE. How glorious is that?
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Cuda
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: gbreuk

Postby Cuda » June 14th, 2010, 10:25 pm

You may not know it, but you made my night guys. Thanks.

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Fa7h3r Mik3 » June 15th, 2010, 5:47 pm

So as I have continued to read in Judges through the 6th chapter and time and time again after Isreal has been delivered into the promise land they have found themselves calling out to God after they have broken thier end of the bargan.

This has gone on for a couple hundred years after they stepped foot into this place and they still find themselves putting other things before God.. having Him set them under another nation only to cry out to him again. Sound familiar?

Generation after generation this goes on. It makes me think of Deuternomy 11:18,19. " Therefore you shall lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. 19 You shall teach them to your children, speaking of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up."

I would have assumed the they did a somewhat decent job of telling thier children about all the God has done for them and what promises he made to thier forfathers. I know that what my folks think that they tried to do for me wasnt what God comands in the Bible. Oh sure, they clothed me, fed me, gave me all the opportunities of a good education and such. But in the long run I was unable to pass knowledge of that to my own children and now I find myself playing catchup trying to get it through to 3 young adult children and in some cases thier spouses.

Joshua 24:15. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. To only know what I know now. For those of you with young children raise your kids in the way of the ONE
TRUE GOD. Dont let society give your kids the lessons of this world. Take control of thier young minds and mold them in His teachings. "..And when he is old he will not depart from it."
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » June 15th, 2010, 6:14 pm

Today, I've been continuing in Luke, and reading quite a bit of Jesus' Parables.

Sometimes younger people ask me WHY He chose to speak in parables, and there are a few reason:

1) Prophecy dictated that the Messiah would speak in parables to teach those ready to hear... Psalm 78:1-4 "Give ear, O my people, to my law: incline your ears to the words of my mouth. I will open my mouth in a parable: I will utter dark sayings of old: Which we have heard and known, and our fathers have told us. We will not hide them from their children, shewing to the generation to come the praises of the LORD, and his strength, and his wonderful works that he hath done." Matthew 13:34-35 says "All these things spake Jesus unto the multitude in parables; and without a parable spake he not unto them: That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, I will open my mouth in parables; I will utter things which have been kept secret from the foundation of the world."

2) Jesus called upon people to THINK and FEEL His Message, check this out...You can't have the word HEART, without the words: EAR or HEAR. Remember when The Lord says, "He who has ears, let him hear." in Matthew 11:15? If you don't take Jesus' words to HEART, then their lessons are wasted on you.

3) Jesus spoke in parables because He could use metaphor, allegory, and imagery that COULD be understood to mean he's referring to the Pharisees, Israel, or other topics, but without coming right out and saying so. Why do this? Frankly, because it confounded the Pharisees to no end. If you read something that you THOUGHT might be about you, but it never directly mentioned you, you couldn't sue anyone, could you?

4) Parables cause you to CHOOSE. Since you have to think about the subject of the parable, you come to a conclusion that the person in the story was just, or unjust. Choosing the same answer as Jesus can show you pretty quickly if you are For GOD or Against Him.

These are just a few reasons why Jesus spoke in parables, hoping to have people THINK and come to conclusions on their own, that were inescapable truth. The parables I've been reading in Luke really put a fine point on many issues, and honestly, I wish there were more than there are in the Bible, because Jesus' Parables challenge us to open our ears and hear with our hearts.

My verses of the day: Luke Chapters 13-15...

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » June 16th, 2010, 6:42 pm

My verses today:

Luke 16:9-12 "And I say to you, Make friends for yourselves through the wealth of this life, so that when it comes to an end, you may be taken into the eternal resting-places. He who is true in a little, is true in much; he who is false in small things, is false in great. If, then, you have not been true in your use of the wealth of this life, who will give into your care the true wealth? And if you have not been true in your care of the property of other people, who will give you that which is yours?" (Bible in Basic English)

Now, I'm not going to get into the full parable that precedes this, because it has more than one purpose, not only to illustrate Jesus' point, but to confound and call out the Pharisees.

These verses themselves, after the parable though, are important too.

You cannot serve two masters. Money can be one, (or possessions), and God is one. If you know the truth, you know that you can not take money or possessions with you beyond this life. They are transient, decaying THINGS that mean nothing. Whereas God is everlasting, and ever loving.

Having said this, God wants us to use these tools we've been given to store up GOOD for others, and Glory for Him. Whether you have great sums of money, or small, the act of helping another with these funds not only proves that this money is NOT your master, but you have given the best you can of what you can't keep to support the needs of someone else.

When you freely (and preferably secrectly) give of your means to others, without keeping record, without nitpicking upon repayment, and without guile, you are giving from the heart. When you do this, God can see you are trusted with His True Gifts! Not only that, but rather than being "paid back" by the person you supported, GOD HIMSELF REWARDS YOU! Those who are nitpicky, greedy, and obsessed with even the smallest of their possessions don't realize that those posessions themselves are ALL THE REWARD THEY'LL EVER HAVE. God will not trust them with further.

This even goes back to my earlier post about the great man and his banquet. Those people with possessions, land, animals, etc...They were too busy with their accountings of their wealth to take the time to come to the Great Master and accept His gifts. They had better things to do. So they didn't receive the milk and honey the Master offered.

Who did? Why, the poor, the downtrodden, people in the street who were probably surprised that the Great Master even KNEW THEY EXISTED, let alone wants to share this gift with them.

The point is: Your money and possessions do not define you. If you have an iPhone or a Droid, a Honda or a Chevy, neither is better, because neither matters. What matters is the enduring love of God and all He shares with you, and that you do not make accounts of owing with God, because truthfully, you could never in a bazillion years pay back all God has entrusted you with!

I would rather give $1,000,000 to someone in need and never receive a cent back from them, for God will reward me in ways far greater than money or anything it can buy.

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Fa7h3r Mik3 » June 16th, 2010, 9:31 pm

Great post Neo and thanks for helping keep this going.
Im getting a late start on my reading tonight but I am going to coninue with my time in Judges both tonight and on my lunch tomarrow.

Night

Mik3
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » June 16th, 2010, 9:46 pm

I have to tell you Mike...I've been inspired for years by Clarence's Word of the Day, it's easy to relate to. It takes Scripture and helps us see how Truth is Truth, even in the 'post modern age', and even with our personal thoughts and feelings.

When you started this, I was like...Whoa...Why not? We are all supposed to be reading our Bibles and learning, why not share our thoughts and ideas based on what we read? I'm going to do everything I can to keep this thread going because it's making ME understand what I'm reading even more, inspired as I am to try and relate it to others.

So thank you, sir, for an inspiring and uplifting thread! This is the kind of thread that (like Cuda said) makes my day! (You know, that day God has made!) :biggrin:

MADEFFEXdotcom

Postby MADEFFEXdotcom » June 17th, 2010, 12:54 pm

Psalm 19:14: "Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."

Proverbs 18:20-21(Amp):
20 A man's moral self shall be filled with the fruit of his mouth, and with the consequence of his words he must be satisfied (whether good or evil).
21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and they who indulge it shall eat the fruit of it (for death or life).

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » June 17th, 2010, 4:56 pm

Very nice, MAD!

Today I've gone into Luke's 17th Chapter:

Luke 17:7-10 "But which of you, having a servant who is ploughing or keeping sheep, will say to him, when he comes in from the field, Come now and be seated and have a meal, Will he not say, Get a meal for me, and make yourself ready and see to my needs till I have had my food and drink; and after that you may have yours?

Does he give praise to the servant because he did what was ordered?

In the same way, when you have done all the things which are given you to do, say, There is no profit in us, for we have only done what we were ordered to do."

____

These words tell us so obviously that All Glory Belongs To God.

In those days, a servant did what was required of him. The master never said, "Hey, rest a bit and take food with me." Instead, he expected his needs to be met first, and then the servant could go and feed himself after.

Does the Master thank the servant for doing precisely what his job requires? Most often not. He has done precisely what he was ordered to do.

Likewise in our relationship with God...We don't get the 'profit', or the 'praise', or the glory for doing as Christ commands us. He gets the glory. God Himself, besides being the Master, created us all for specific purposes, specific jobs, and specific talents, and when we use those talents as He wishes, it is not for us, but for Him we do these things.

I've had the pleasure to praise my brothers recently for using their talents for great things, and almost without fail, those brothers turned away my praising words to God, saying that they are only doing as God has allowed them to do, and that He deserves the praise.

God rewards those who give so freely to Him what He deserves. Most of us would rather receive God's Rewards, than the modest praise for doing exactly what we should have been doing all along, right?

Amen to that!

Return to “Serious Talk”