A verse a day before you play

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Re: A verse a day before you play

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » August 16th, 2010, 8:46 pm

2 Cor 6:3
"We put no stumbling block in anyone's path, so that our ministry will not be discredited"

As Christians we try to spread the Love of Jesus and of Gods salvation through him. But what about the times that we allow or might allow others to stumble?? Although that would never be an intention of ours but I know there are times that we all do just that. Are there ways that we behave or actions that we take that might not be a threat to our own walk with Christ but might be to another.

1 Cor 10:23 states ..
" All things are lawful for me, but not all things are helpful; all things are lawful for me,but not all things edify."

I like the way the two verses can be used hand in hand.
In todays culture the vampires sagas.. movies, books ect. are very popular with todays youth. If you view these movies strictly as entertainment then you have the freedom to enjoy them. However do they fill you heart with things that further your relationship with God? How does it take away the time that you could be spending in the Word of God? 1 Cor10:23 talks about this very thing.

Lets take that and put it to use in 2 Cor 6:3. If you are invited to the same movie or are engaged in conversation with someone about that type of entertainment how does that effect them? How can we effectively minister to someone while they saturate themselves with those kind of thoughs of violence and "love"?

Times will come when we are faced with decisions on how to act, where we will spend our free time and how we behave. This will often involve friends, family, and even strangers. Always take the opportunities to have a succesful ministry and put yourselves in situations that honor God and what you stand for in him.
word count: 326
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » August 16th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I love taking the time to post on this thread and it got off to a great start.. My hope was that this be a community project. I will continue to come in as often as possible to post but I would love to see what others are reading and what thier thoughts are on what they did read
word count: 59
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

WisconsinJim

Post by WisconsinJim » August 17th, 2010, 12:38 pm

Last night I read the entire Book of Lamentations (it's a short book, those of you who haven't read it yet). I had been really depressed and this book really put things into perspective.

The beginning of it was mostly someone lamenting over the fall of Zion. The person was sure to point out that God had let all of this happen because Zion was so sinful, so disobedient. In the face of all this grief, the writer still continued to have hope and praise God.

Much like the Book of Job, the Book of Lamentations really reminded me that God can punish a man as easily as bless him, and that one should continue to praise God through said punishment.

In specific, the verses Lam 3:22-24 made me feel so much better. "Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. I say to myself, 'The Lord is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him.'"

Well, that's my verse (er, book haha) before I play. Sorry if I stole your post style Fa7h3er Mik3, I just like how easy it is to read haha.
word count: 207

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » August 17th, 2010, 4:47 pm

You didnt steal a post Jim. I put it up for all to read and participate in. Keep posting.

Thanks
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Acts 9 Saul's conversion

The song I Am a Friend of God goes..

Who am I that you are mindful of me
That you hear me, when I call
Is it true that you are thinking of me
How you love me, it's amazing (Who am I Lord)

Even during our most trying and sinful times God holds on to us and loves us. Even Saul who was feared by Christ's followers, prophets and disciples. In the story I get less pumped about what a great guy Paul turns out to be from where he came than I do the man in Saul the God chose and what great power he has to turn the life of him around.

Who was Saul that God was mindful of him,
Im sure Saul attempted to talk to God. He was a very knowledgable person about the law and about who God was.
Unfortunatly he didnt listen to the message that Christ's disciples where trying to teach with his heart. Only with what he knew about the law. Dont eat this, sacrafice this animal for this reason and at this time, pray in this manner..
Christ opened up a whole new world for Saul when he shut his eyes. For three days he did not see, eat or drink. Ever wonder what he went through for those days. What a transformation. Saul died that day and he awoke Paul, one of the greatest Godly man of all time. (although I think he would discredit himself a bit)

God has a plan for each and everyone of us. Some plans change.. right now Im a good "worker bee". I do a great job on projects at the church and like doing service in the AV booth at church. I also enjoy hanging out with the CC gang and doing a bit of writing here. But He could change that at anytime. We all need to be attentive to God and keep our hearts close to him by staying grounded in the Word.

Who am I that you are mindful of me
That you hear me, when I call
Is it true that you are thinking of me
How you love me, it's amazing (Who am I Lord)
word count: 391

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » September 16th, 2010, 8:33 pm

1 Cor 3:1-4
Spoiler! :
And I, brethren, could not speak to you as to spiritual people but as to carnal, as to babes in Christ. 2 I fed you with milk and not with solid food; for until now you were not able to receive it, and even now you are still not able; 3 for you are still carnal. For where there are envy, strife, and divisions among you, are you not carnal and behaving like mere men? 4 For when one says, “I am of Paul,” and another, “I am of Apollos,” are you not carnal?

Where are you in your walk today?? Paul's writing and analogy of where we are in our relationship with Christ hits the nail on the head. How are we to accept God's word or his plan for our lives when we have clogged our spiritual arteries with junk. We allow ourselves at times to be weighed down with not only worldly and meaningless issues in our lives that we cant hear Him when he calls or speaks to us.
word count: 181

Clarence
Council Advisor
Council Advisor

Post by Clarence » September 17th, 2010, 3:31 pm

Romans 13:11
And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed.

I was driving home on the motorway (freeway) last week and I came behind a large lorry. On the back there was a slogan:

'Life is full of unforseen incidents, so eat your pudding first'

I laughed at first then I saw the seriousness of the statement.

Salvation is ours for the asking but we have to make that decision and the sooner the better because we dont know when our time will come.
word count: 103

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » September 17th, 2010, 5:40 pm

1 Corinthains 5 and 6

One thing that I notice about Paul's writings or letters is that he spends alot of time on sexual immorality. The things the people did back then I have heard may have eclipsed some of the practices we as a human species do today. The only differance is that technology has made it easier for us to do such things in the pricacy of our own homes with little or no chance of getting caught by fiends and neighbors. It puts a facelessness to the sin.

5:6 Don't you know that a little yeast works through the whole batch of dough?

Paul is stating that all it takes is a glance.. an opportunity taken by a pull in the wrong direction.. just once. Then we tend to ask for forgiveness and let that sin go for some time. Then again.. it can be a vicious cycle. Next thing you know your caught in a downward spiral.

One thing I also see in this verse is the "light at the end of the tunnel". As yeast can work through a batch of dough as a metaphor for sin in your life it can also be a translation for what Christ can do if you allow him to heal you of your sin. Addiction, whether it be chemical, physical or emotional can only truly (in my opinion and experiance) be cured by the blood of Christ.
word count: 241

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » September 20th, 2010, 5:05 pm

1 Cor 7 (Marriage)

Paul takes this time to give us an idea of a life in marriage vs. a life of service. Paul thought that a person should spend his or her life in service to God and that marriage was something that would take to much energy away from that. In a way, he was right. Think about how much time today we spend just trying to fit in a night out with our spouse with a family schedule. Monday kids to soccer.. Tuesday scout meeting.. Wednesday.. now add up all those nights and hours and substitute them for things that Paul would have done. A night at the mission, a few hours with a couple at the Hospice center or at a senior center....

A life of service with your spouse on the other hand can be very rewarding. My wife and I have recently gotten involved in a new ministry at our church which allows couples with experiance in a particular area in life with couples that are struggling in that area. Although it is a new area for us we are looking forward to our first experiances. I am positive that Christ will allow us to work through him.

On a more serious note, one of my favorite verses from Paul is in this chapter.

Spoiler! :
28(b)But those who marry will face many troubles in this life, and I want to spare you this.

Paul had a great sence of humor
word count: 248

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » September 23rd, 2010, 5:12 pm

1 Cor 12

In vs12 through the end of the chapter Paul uses the human body in relationship to our deeds and responsibilities within our church (and also I believe in our families, jobs and even in this community) Every part of our body holds a specific function. Each of those parts are designed and place by God in a specific spot to preform that function.

Some part are to be held in modesty more than others and not every part seems to hold as high of a function as another, but make no mistake the roll that every part plays is lost without the other. The same holds true to you in your church. The part that I play in my roll seems small compared to that of our worship minister or to our pastor but I know that God gave me the desire to serve there and I have in my own small way become a working part of my congregation.

What is your roll??
word count: 166

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » October 4th, 2010, 9:07 am

"The first link between my soul and Jesus Christ is not my goodness but my badness, not my merit but my misery, not my riches but my need" C.H. Spurgeon
word count: 31