Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Re: A verse a day before you play

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » November 23rd, 2010, 4:12 pm

James 1:2-4
Spoiler! :
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. 4 Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything

This is a great couple of verses this week as I have been doing some work in a workbook about standing up in the face of temptation. James discusses in the first chapter about this very subject but I wanted to narrow it down to these 2 verses for this week in partucular, as this is an area that I struggle with often in my own life, and we are heading into Thanksgiving.

Thinking of the times and trials that we go through in our life, should it be school, work or socially, we often think... when will this end? The though of being "joyous" in our troubles seldom if ever crosses our minds more or less our hearts. But that is exactly what God expects us to do to make it through to the other end of the darkest of lifes tunnels.

God allows us to go through trials so he can mold us like clay.. to strengthen or to refine our character. One of my greatest failures at times.. ok.. ill be honest.. usually, is starting out my day with an attitude of being completely gratful for my job and the blessing that I have been given over the last 20+ years to be at such a great company regardless of the daily challenges that are put in front of me, only to start the bitterness that swells inside when things start to take a stressful turn. Now I dont deal with nuclear material nor is anything I do save countless lives, but the time that I spend there I need to learn to rely more on God and give up all that frustration that builds and accept that I am to be a bondservent for Christ and do things to the best of my ability.. but this time with the true Joy of Him that should be living in me at that moment.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yet another couple paragraphs of ramblings from the laptop of FM
word count: 377
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » November 26th, 2010, 4:48 pm

Mark 12:14
Spoiler! :
“Teacher, we know that You are true, and care about no one; for You do not regard the person of men, but teach the way of God in truth

I have read that Jesus' critics were greatly frustrated with him when he encountered misplaced spirituality. When we decide to bend God's rulebook to fit our own will or try to justify our actions when we announce that we feel that downloading unpaid for music (stealing) or looking at another woman (commiting adultry) isnt a sin, we are going in the exact opposite direction that Christ is trying to lead us.
We have two choises in this short time on earth. His way or the worlds. We can be in this world or on a path to His.

"There is no sadder or more pathetic man than one with a heart and no spine"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
word count: 159
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » November 30th, 2010, 4:47 pm

James 3:2-3

Spoiler! :
For we all stumble in many things. If anyone does not stumble in word, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle the whole body. 3 Indeed, we put bits in horses’ mouths that they may obey us, and we turn their whole body.

Today was one of those days at work where my mouth didnt find the brake pedal fast enough. What started out as what should have been a simple employee/employee working differances out kind of moment turned into ... well me being a butt. It was also one of those days where shortly after that that I was able to practice the great art of humility. (an art which I have had alot of practice)

During my lunch I went out to my Jeep to spend some time studying and reflecting on what a putz i can be and I opened my workbook and the new chapter I was starting was all about controlling your tongue and how it can be the window to your heart. God couldnt have been speaking to me any lounder without something falling out of the sky.

Although I tend to get discouraged at my attitude and behavior at times I know that He still cares enough to show me these things as a reminder to treat others with gentleness.. to guard my own heart and allow Him to work through me (and my tongue).. and to think before I speak to make sure that I build up and not tear down.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
word count: 267

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » November 30th, 2010, 6:21 pm

Great stuff Mike. That's a lesson that doesn't seem to sink in very well for me :S You nailed it, though... God never holds back on giving us opportunities to practice humility...
word count: 34

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

A Verse a day before you play

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » December 14th, 2010, 6:38 pm

Matt 7:13,14
Sometimes when I read scripture I wonder most who He intended it for the most. I feel that every word was ment to touch someone and serves a purpose. Matthew writes of Jesus' teachings I believe are meant for Christians.

Spoiler! :
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

Jesus teaches us in parables how to understand the things that only he himself can understand. I have rambled on alot about how we tend to skew our outlook on what we think, or try to manipulate what His plan is, or what we view as right or wrong in an attempt to not only help others try to understand what lies ahead but also as a reminder to myself of HIs expectations. (Sorry.. that was a horribly constructed)

In the Parable of the Hidden Treasure and the Parable of the Pearl of Great Price (Matthew 13:44-46) Jesus tells us of great treasures that are so awsome the they are worth collecting all our posessions and selling them to obtain it. That is the kind of narrow road that He talks of. Our worldly things tend to drag us down and hold us back from a true relationship with God. (I picture a commercial that I have seen about some gas aditive and some guy is dragging a big anchor behind his car giving the idea that the crap in his motor is holding his performance back).

The story of the rich young ruler in Mark 10 tells of a guy with immense wealth who approached Jesus and wants to know what is missing in his life. He keeps all the laws and the commandments but feels empty inside. All along missing the fact that he is breaking the first commandment "Thou shall have no other gods before me."

I know that the things that I treasure the most in this life weather it be a house, car or even a relationship if not put behind my relationship with Christ can push me off the side of that very narrow bridge.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
word count: 398

jagged
Steam Profile: 0:0:5314772

Post by jagged » December 16th, 2010, 6:49 pm

I really like the idea of a verse a day before you play. I struggle with making time to read God's word. It is so easy to get caught up in day to day activities that you can loose sight of what is important.
word count: 45

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » December 16th, 2010, 9:00 pm

Exactly, jagged ^^ I find that it's easiest to read my bible before I go to bed, and sometimes I can't even get to sleep because I know I forgot to read it. The fact is, if we have time to game, we have time to read our Bible ;)
word count: 50

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » December 17th, 2010, 4:29 pm

jagged wrote:I really like the idea of a verse a day before you play. I struggle with making time to read God's word. It is so easy to get caught up in day to day activities that you can loose sight of what is important.

That was the initial idea behind the thread. To get people to post some of the things that they are reading.. kind of a way to get people to become accountable in thier daily studies.
word count: 82

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » December 31st, 2010, 10:03 am

Romans 12

Spoiler! :
I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that you present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable to God, which is your reasonable service. 2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Serve God with Spiritual Gifts
3 For I say, through the grace given to me, to everyone who is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think, but to think soberly, as God has dealt to each one a measure of faith. 4 For as we have many members in one body, but all the members do not have the same function, 5 so we, being many, are one body in Christ, and individually members of one another. 6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, let us prophesy in proportion to our faith; 7 or ministry, let us use it in our ministering; he who teaches, in teaching; 8 he who exhorts, in exhortation; he who gives, with liberality; he who leads, with diligence; he who shows mercy, with cheerfulness.
Behave Like a Christian
9 Let love be without hypocrisy. Abhor what is evil. Cling to what is good. 10 Be kindly affectionate to one another with brotherly love, in honor giving preference to one another; 11 not lagging in diligence, fervent in spirit, serving the Lord; 12 rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly in prayer; 13 distributing to the needs of the saints, given to hospitality.
14 Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse. 15 Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. 16 Be of the same mind toward one another. Do not set your mind on high things, but associate with the humble. Do not be wise in your own opinion.
17 Repay no one evil for evil. Have regard for good things in the sight of all men. 18 If it is possible, as much as depends on you, live peaceably with all men. 19 Beloved, do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, “Vengeance is Mine, I will repay,”[a] says the Lord. 20 Therefore

“ If your enemy is hungry, feed him;
If he is thirsty, give him a drink;
For in so doing you will heap coals of fire on his head.”[b]

21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

A couple things that I most enjoyed about this chapter:

1. Being humble toward others in our hearts reminds me of Christ's teaching of how the first shall be last and the last shall be first. Putting the needs of others before ouselves. Its amazing how selfish we can become in our society today. We cant forget why we are here on this earth. For each other. To comfort, pray and give ourselves to each other. The way He gave himself up for us.

2. Loving your enemies. We each have struggles with family, co workers, friends.. how do we handle those disputes? Or maybe we should ask how would Jesus handle them? WWJD.. seems like its been used so often that it has lost its meaning. But in reality our hearts should already be "tuned" to that. To go back to the first point how do we put others first in our daily struggles and by doing this how do we further the Kingdom of God?

Allow God to handle your stuggles today. Be humble before Him and others. Christ came to this earth to show us how to live in the greatest of trials including death. In His world the grass is ALWAYS greener on the other side of the fence.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
word count: 662

Kunkali
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Kunkali » October 4th, 2011, 12:42 pm

Looks like this thread has been dead almost a year so time to wake it up. Galatians is one of the books i'm reading for my bible time and this passage struck out at me last night:

Galatians 5:24-26
Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk by the Spirit. Let us not become boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.

[ Post made via iPad ] Image
word count: 85
“Our greatest fear should not be of failure but of succeeding at things in life that don't really matter.” - Francis Chan, Crazy Love