Daily readings 2011

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Daily readings 2011

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » December 31st, 2010, 7:41 pm

Welcome to the Christian Crews daily reading plan for 2011. We hope that you will take the time each day to follow along with us as we draw closer to God through his written and Living Word. Our goal here is to give Him the first fruits of our day. Being close and intimate with our Creator should be our top priority so reading the "Bible in a year" should be our opportunity to maintain a close and personal relationship with Him.

I would strongly urge you make space in your home and in your heart and pray each day before you read. Ask God to show you a plan for you and to open your heart to that.

So starting on Saturday, January 1st, 2011 our reading plan will be as follows:
http://oneyearbibleonline.com/index.html

This is the 7-day link, which tells you today's reading, and the 3 days on either side:
http://oneyearbibleonline.com/oneyearwe ... tmmdd=0101

This thread will stay up for the year. Post as often as you like on what you have read, something that you have learned or that caught your attention. Also if you have any questions about what you have read, ask them here. There will be enough of us following this study and this thread that we can help with any issues whether they be theological or translational. ( I am sure I will have a few of my own)
word count: 240
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Re: Daily readings 2011

Post by AttolloDeus » January 1st, 2011, 5:23 pm

WOOHOO!! Day 1 is on the way.

GENESIS 1:1-2:25
MATTHEW 1:1-2:12
PSALM 1:1-1:6
PROVERBS 1:1-1:6

I love these starting passages! It's like the pretext to some amazing journey; Creation, Jesus' birth and heritage, the first Psalm, and the pretext of the Proverbs. Reading through those first verses in Proverbs is a great summary of what I hope to achieve through reading this plan.

Last night at a New Year's Eve party, my friend's parents and family came downstairs and prayed with us, shared some personal testimony, and really just set a Spiritual tone for the year to come. One thing the main speaker mentioned (her uncle I think) was that despite all the New Year's Resolutions out there, that starting the new year with a different trend or a different mindset is useless if you do not focus on how you can better serve and glorify God through it.

Several times in the past I have undertaken small fasts, prayer group sessions, and even a previous attempt at trying to read through the Bible for the sole purpose of me being a better Christian. To be clear, this is not a godly motivation. It's for me to be held on a pedestal instead of God.

Starting out with this Bible reading plan as one of my resolutions, please, I hope and pray none of you follow that same mindset I used to have.

~AD / Steve~

PS - Posts do not have to be this long ^^ I just had a lot on my mind after last night.
word count: 268

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » January 1st, 2011, 9:57 pm

Over the past couple of days I have been reading a book designed for married men and found a couple of things in the first part of Genesis that I thought was pretty cool.

When God named the day, night, land, seas, ect he did so because He was to take authority over these things. When God brought the beasts and birds to Adam to name it was to give him the authority over the animals. Same goes for when Eve was created and was to be given a name by Adam. It was God's intention to give Adam authority over his home. (I know I have posted alot about men and women and thier role in the home but I firmly believe that His plan is there for a reason and when a godly man puts Christ first in his home and runs it on biblical principle a woman will naturally give him the respect and honor that is spoken of in vs like Eph 5:22-24)

Genesis 2:23 “This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”
The Hebrew for man is iysh a) man, male (in contrast to woman, female) b) husband and Woman is 'ishshah (opposite of man) b) wife (woman married to a man).
This I have read is the origin of the woman taking the husbands name.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Matthew Henry describes the creation of the world and its total chaos before it was formed to be like our lives, our souls before we are born again. When Christ was introduced to us we began to see things form in our lives.. peace, beauty, order..
word count: 287
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

jeffgordon24

Post by jeffgordon24 » January 2nd, 2011, 11:08 pm

Today's Proverb's passage.
word count: 5

AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » January 3rd, 2011, 5:37 am

For sure, Billy! I love Proverbs ^^

We had a great Teamspeak discussion about Adam and Eve, and Cain and Abel. If anyone sees me on Teamspeak, impromptu bible study ftw!

~AD / Steve~
word count: 32

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Fa7h3r Mik3 » January 3rd, 2011, 6:40 pm

Very cool readings today.. again in Genesis.
The sons on God and the daughters of men. Some have said that the sons of God were angels. The NIV commentaries and Matthew Henry are inclined to show that the Bible speaks of the sons of God were those that walked with God. Men of character that married woman who did not. Basically they were "not yoked". That seems to make more scense that the first explanation. Although the language supporting them as such can be found in Job 1:6 and 2:1. Feel free to discuss your take here.

I am enjoying the Proverbs and Psalms readings this time around more than I have in the past. Psalms 2 is a great teaching of "who do you hang with". What type of people do you surround yourself with? Is it the crowd that constantly talks about others in a negative manner? Sometimes the things that seem the most harmless are the things that drag us down the most. The things that invade our lives slowly are like an infection that does the most damage over time.

However when we "yoke" ourselves with like minded believers we can lift each other up both spiritually and emotionally.
word count: 205

AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » January 3rd, 2011, 8:21 pm

lol I'm gonna have trouble finishing a full year of reading if I keep diving in to the details ^^

I was reading the story of Noah in high school, and I mapped out the genealogy up to Noah (I'm a math geek and I love stats). I remember noticing that Methuselah's age coincided with the year of the flood, and I never bothered to do some more in-depth study to find out what that meant. After searching around I came across this link that lays things out in good detail:

http://creation.com/methuselah-and-the- ... supergerms

Enoch, Methuselah's father, was a prophet of that time (Jude 1:14 refers to him). Methuselah's name means something to the effect of "When he dies, it shall be sent". (That is SO epic!) Thus, when Methuselah passed away in the year Noah was building the ark, it was a prophecy of the flood that was coming soon!

AAAHHH!!!! I love this stuff ^^ It's so cool to see how God is on the one hand not set in stone (there are stories when God "changes his mind", or when a man finds favour with Him) and at the same time, He plans things out centuries in advance! Even to the extent of showing us signs that it's coming so we KNOW it's God's handiwork. Truly God knows SOOOOOO much more beyond what we can grasp.

I've got dinner soon, and I have to finish reading, but I want to type out something relating Adam and Eve's temptation by the serpent (Jan 2 reading) and Christ's temptation in the desert (Jan 3 reading).

~AD / Steve~
word count: 283

jeffgordon24

Post by jeffgordon24 » January 4th, 2011, 1:35 am

Mind=blown
word count: 2

AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » January 6th, 2011, 5:22 pm

Matthew 5:43-48
43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44 But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45 that you may be children of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47 And if you greet only your own people, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48 Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

If you love those who love you, what reward will you get?

Ladyhawke mentioned a post recently about how something as simple as greeting players that join the server can make a huge difference. It's a sign of inclusion, a sign of being welcomed. That's why greeters (in both church and Wal-Mart) have such a positive impact. That first impression is really important to how people perceive us, and if we only say hi to our current friends, what are we doing above and beyond?

This passage is extremely convicting when I realize how many times I fall short of it's call. When somebody offends me, when somebody attacks me, or when somebody simply ignores me and passes me by... oh how badly I wished I could get back at some of them! But God calls us to a standard beyond all logic.

Our good must supersede the wrong done to us. The love we show to others must overshadow the spite and harm we may have been shown. I have mentioned this passage to several of my friends and I know they have just as hard a time with this passage as I do, but there is a lot of power in this passage.

I <3 the sermon on the mount ^^

~AD / Steve~
word count: 337

jeffgordon24

Post by jeffgordon24 » January 12th, 2011, 6:34 am

I read a note in mah Bible regarding when Eliezer was retelling the story of how God led him to Rebekah and stuff. It pointed out how he openly talked about God and worshiped Him. I definitely notice that amongst myself and my peers. We shouldn't be afraid of talking about God with each other!
word count: 56