Daily readings 2011

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Nacho Cheese
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: NachoCheese

Re: Daily readings 2011

Postby Nacho Cheese » February 28th, 2011, 10:16 am

Leviticus 21:16-23 "The LORD said to Moses, “Say to Aaron: ‘For the generations to come none of your descendants who has a defect may come near to offer the food of his God. No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is blind or lame, disfigured or deformed; no man with a crippled foot or hand, or who is a hunchback or a dwarf, or who has any eye defect, or who has festering or running sores or damaged testicles. No descendant of Aaron the priest who has any defect is to come near to present the food offerings to the LORD. He has a defect; he must not come near to offer the food of his God. He may eat the most holy food of his God, as well as the holy food; yet because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary. I am the LORD, who makes them holy.’”

And what kind of people was Jesus healing during his ministry? The blind, the lame, the cripples, the people with skin diseases...many of the defects listed here in Leviticus.

Jesus was demonstrating that God desires all to come into His presence; in order to do that, He is curing them of their outward deformities. If God will heal our outward deformities, how much more will He heal our broken spirits with His Holy Spirit? God is cleansing us for an eternity in His presence.

Praise be to God for being the one to cleanse us, when we couldn't do anything to cleanse ourselves.

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Fa7h3r Mik3 » March 12th, 2011, 7:53 am

Numbers 16:31,32

31 He had hardly finished speaking the words when the ground suddenly split open beneath them. 32 The earth opened its mouth and swallowed the men, along with their households and all their followers who were standing with them, and everything they owned.

I found it to be more than a coincidence that this part of the reading was on the same day as the earthquake in Japan. I think when we read passages like this we picture in our minds just this hole that opens up and people plop down in them. Something out of a sci-fi movie. I believe or now have more understanding that this particular event was more realistic to what had happend today. Listening to the news and remembering what I learned in school about quakes, movement of plates and things that need to occure for an event like this, probably shook things up a bit for the whole camps of the Isrealites.

Just a little reminder for Him that he is in control. Not "Mother Nature" nor man, nor anything we think we can control.
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Fa7h3r Mik3 » March 16th, 2011, 6:46 pm

I was curious how everyone was doing on keeping up with the readings. One thing that I found that helps is to keep a list of the webpage that lists the vs. and instead of reading the daily readings I have been doing a couple days of the OT then hit the NT and then the Psalms and Proverbs.

I get kind of wrapped up in some of the stories and want to continue somtimes passing the point where I was to stop. This allows me to continue on a topic or story and still keep up with the days.
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Fa7h3r Mik3 » March 21st, 2011, 6:56 pm

Prov 11:13 NIV

13 A gossip betrays a confidence, but a trustworthy person keeps a secret.

I wanted to touch on this for a moment. I think that this is something that all of us need to reflect on. Even here, on TS or at work, school ect.. or when we come home from work and talk to our spouse about our days. Who do we talk about. What did they do or how did they act? Does their behavior stop there or are we dragging it into our lives, homes and hearts by communicating that to others?

The writer in Proverbs also goes on to say

14 Where there is no counsel, the people fall; But in the multitude of counselors there is safety.

I believe that the two verses tie in together. The difference between venting and seeking advice on how to handle situations or people is in the heart. Do I come home and complain to Michelle how Scott and Frank acted today or am I seeking her Christian heart and management skills on how to better react at work tomorrow when the "crisis" isnt over?

James teaches us in chapter 3 that the tongue can be compared to the rudder of a ship. That it can control our ships, our lives, into calm seas or stormy sailing. What direction are you taking today?

Return to “Serious Talk”