Re: Daily readings 2011

Postby AttolloDeus » January 12th, 2011, 11:37 am

Nice stuff, Billy! Great point.

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Postby AttolloDeus » January 13th, 2011, 3:56 am

(Chunks of Matthew 9 that I'm too tired to reference properly):

And when Jesus saw their faith, he said to the paralytic, "Take heart, my son; your sins are forgiven."
-------------
But that you may know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins"—he then said to the paralytic—"Rise, pick up your bed and go home." And he rose and went home.
-------------
As Jesus passed on from there, he saw a man called Matthew sitting at the tax booth, and he said to him, "Follow me." And he rose and followed him.
-------------
For I came not to call the righteous, but sinners.

Christ says it. It is done. There is no second-guessing, just the reaction.

I'm more a fleece-layer myself, so I've got a long way to go :S

Nacho Cheese
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: NachoCheese

Postby Nacho Cheese » January 13th, 2011, 1:24 pm

(I'm a couple days late on this one, but it's important to me. Please excuse the snowboarding-trip-induced lateness.)

Proverbs 3:5-6 "Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths."

I'm a pretty smart guy (super humble, too). I've usually been able to rely on my own wits, guts, or whatever I need to get me through every situation I find myself in, whether it be classes, job applications, internships, mountaineering, martial arts...whatever. Most of all, I've been able to rely on my own wisdom and intelligence for the most part to make sound decisions.

So when I came across this passage at first (and ever since), it really hits me hard to think that I, in fact, cannot rely on my own understanding. No matter how smart or wise I am, God is infinitely smarter, wiser, stronger, etc...

It's hard to give up on what I think has gotten me safely to where I am today, but we see here that true wisdom comes from completely surrendering everything we have to God's will and direction. After all, "the fear of the LORD", not the wits of Nacho Cheese, "is the beginning of knowledge" (Proverbs 1:7a).

AttolloDeus

Postby AttolloDeus » January 13th, 2011, 4:26 pm

(Better late than never, Nacho. Thanks for sharing!)

Today's Proverbs:

Proverbs 3:11-12
My son, do not despise the LORD’s discipline
or be weary of his reproof,
for the LORD reproves him whom he loves,
as a father the son in whom he delights.

The necessity of discipline.
In order to purify the gold, one must melt the impurities; they must be burned off and separated from us.

AttolloDeus

Postby AttolloDeus » January 14th, 2011, 10:20 pm

Matthew 10:8
"You received without paying; give without pay."

The whole "pay it forward" mentality has always fascinated me. How amazing would it be if just one of us helped 3 people, and then those 3 people each helped 3 people, and so on? Within weeks that person could have reached thousands of others.

If you were the one that started that chain, you would really want people to continue, right? On the flipside, how ashamed would you be if you were the person to break that chain by doing nothing?

We have all been given a gift, freely from God. We have a required duty to pay it forward, not a mild plea or hollow offer. God has given us the eternal salvation of our souls! How can we demand anything in return for our help, or ask payment for our good actions?!

In fact, how can we even take credit for our actions? Nacho makes a great point on this topic. Prov 3:5-6 is used a lot, so sometimes people miss it's true power. God is responsible for our good acts because He first gave us the ability to do them; "We love because he first loved us." (1 John 4:19)

Do not seek reward from mankind, do not seek recognition your peers, "but seek first his kingdom and his righteousness" (Matthew 6:33). "The fear of the Lord—that is wisdom, and to shun evil is understanding" (Job 28:28) "for the gain from [wisdom] is better than gain from silver and her profit better than gold. She is more precious than jewels, and nothing you desire can compare with her."

~AD / Steve~

AttolloDeus

Postby AttolloDeus » January 15th, 2011, 12:44 pm

Psalm 13

For the choir director: A psalm of David.

1 O Lord, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
2 How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul,
with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?
3 Turn and answer me, O Lord my God!
Restore the sparkle to my eyes, or I will die.
4 Don’t let my enemies gloat, saying, “We have defeated him!”
Don’t let them rejoice at my downfall.

5 But I trust in your unfailing love.
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
6 I will sing to the Lord
because he is good to me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AT7wa0tPVU&fmt=18

AttolloDeus

Postby AttolloDeus » January 16th, 2011, 6:25 pm

Gen 14:22-24 (Lot)
Gen 22:2, 12-13 (Isaac)
Gen 31:6-12 (Laban)

When Abraham rescues Lot by defeating the allies of King Kedorlaomer, he has complete control to loot whatever he chooses. However, after the promise he made with God he takes no plunder for himself, no reward except what his men have already eaten. In fact he leaves the plunder for the king of Sodom. After Abraham has rescued Lot, Melchizedek comes to bless him, and Abraham in turn gives a tenth of all he has.

After God promises Abraham a vast nation to him and his descendants, Sarah (Sarai) is unable to have children. God proceeds with a further promise, and Isaac is born unto him. God calls Abraham to bring his son Isaac as a sacrifice, and Abraham says in faith that God will provide a ram for the sacrifice, knowing God cannot go back on his promise. Abraham gives up his own son unto God, and is blessed in Gen 22:15-18.

When Laban tries to cheat Jacob out of what he had worked for by removing all speckled and spotted goats that were promised to him, God causes all the goats to give birth to speckled and spotted young in accordance with the promise to multiply his belongings. After Jacob received these vast amounts of livestock, he in turn offers much of them to his brother Esau before meeting him.

When God promises good things, in time the situation will inevitably turn in our favor. Sometimes God calls us to act contrary to that promise to see if we actually trust in Him, to see if our faith is in God's understanding of the situation or in our own. But if we follow that path, God will touch our lives a hundred-fold to any effort we make to glorify Him.

Praise be to God Almighty. He is our unchanging Rock, the Salvation in which we are able to stand.

Nacho Cheese
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: NachoCheese

Postby Nacho Cheese » January 25th, 2011, 8:55 am

Matthew 16:24 "Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me.”"

We haven't exactly been given an easy charge. Jesus does not promise a calm, easy, peaceful life for us (in the traditional sense). In fact, he compares it to one of the most excruciatingly painful deaths known to man - crucifixion. In order to follow after Jesus, we are instructed to put our old selves to the death, and put on the new life in Christ instead.

Take heart when you are enduring all kinds of troubles. This is the life that was promised. God has not abandoned you; rather, he is supporting, uplifting, and maintaining your soul in these times. Rejoice in our source of eternal peace; Jesus Christ, the first one to take up the cross on behalf of us.

Fa7h3r Mik3
CC Member
CC Member

Postby Fa7h3r Mik3 » February 16th, 2011, 6:04 pm

Couple of quick thoughts over the last couple days in the OT.

* It been hard to read over the last few days the repetition that Moses describes in the instruction in the building of the tabernacle and then having to reread that each piece was completed. Makes me glad that I didnt write it or it would just say... "and they did it".

I do believe though that it makes reading it more of a form of dicipline for me.

* I also love the way God fortells of Christ's sacrafice at the cross by requiring the lambs, sheep, ect...
to be perfect and without blemish (in his case without sin) and in the earlier verses that the bones not be broken.

God showed the nation of Isreal what he would except as an atonement for the sin of man many generations before Christ was born and then in the end of Matthew the once and for all final sacrafice.
Be the kind of man that puts his feet on the floor first thing in the morning and the devil says.. " Oh crap, he's up"

AttolloDeus

Postby AttolloDeus » February 16th, 2011, 8:26 pm

I had someone talk to me recently about not feeling worthy of salvation. When we know in our heart what the Bible says is true but still act against it, it feels like we have failed unforgivably. The passage of time while God is explaining all of these laws and instructions to Moses is a prime example. While Moses is up on the mountain, God gives him very detailed instructions on how to act and what to build in order to glorify Him.

Meanwhile, back in the dwelling of the Israelites, they have constructed a golden calf with the gold jewelry they plundered from the Egyptians, they have built an altar in front of it and sacrificed to it, and they have indulged themselves in drinking and revelry.

Exodus 32:7-8 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Go down, because your people, whom you brought up out of Egypt, have become corrupt. They have been quick to turn away from what I commanded them and have made themselves an idol cast in the shape of a calf. They have bowed down to it and sacrificed to it and have said, ‘These are your gods, Israel, who brought you up out of Egypt.’

“I have seen these people,” the LORD said to Moses, “and they are a stiff-necked people. Now leave me alone so that my anger may burn against them and that I may destroy them”

In order that God may be glorified, He rescues us beyond what our incompetence can contradict. He saves us despite our foolish and repetitively sinful ways. He gives us hope in our hopelessness so that we may give Him the glory He deserves.

Return to “Serious Talk”