Civilization V: Yes, it's back.

Discuss games other than CC Divisions here; web based, pc, or console
Amroth
Council Member
Council Member

Civilization V: Yes, it's back.

Post by Amroth » January 8th, 2018, 4:52 pm

For all of those who were wondering (Ongurth), yes Civilation V is making a small but valiant return.

I decided to bring this back on New Year's Eve since all my plans fell through for me.

There are a couple of games that have been going on, and I may start planning a special event night here in the near future. (Initial thoughts are 1/2-city game, tiny but massive amount of players, or long play on certain era)

If you want to coordinate games, use this thread or something else you prefer for recording who is playing with who in what game. :)

Cheers!
word count: 106

Swift-GODisGOOD
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: 76561197964789427

Re: Civilization V: Yes, it's back.

Post by Swift-GODisGOOD » January 9th, 2018, 1:19 am

Hey thanks for sharing this Amroth. I enjoy playing this game every now and again.

One thing that seems to happen a lot (for myself and others I've heard from) is that Civ 5 games are often started (played for a few hours perhaps) and then not finished due to time constraints or the game simply taking too long. I am not sure how many multiplayer Civ 5 games others in this community have finished playing by picking a saved game back up on a different date from when it was started, but for me, it has hasn't happened yet, which leads to unfinished games. Sometimes this is fine, and those playing may not mind much, however I wouldn't mind finishing a game with friends here and there lol. I believe setting up a game night/event for this game could help with this.

You mentioned some "initial thoughts" for certain game types/settings and I am wondering what yourself and/or others may be able to suggest as a good game type/settings that can be played by around 3-5 players (perhaps more), who are relatively familiar with the game, within a shorter time frame (perhaps an hour or two). I am basically wondering if anyone can share any game types/settings that could help a foster a quicker game, which is more likely to actually be finished in one sitting of a couple hours. I am newer to the community and am not sure how games have been set up in the past, if they were often finished over 1 or more sittings or more often than not were simply not completed. Would love to hear some feedback that may help with coordinating some future games ;D
word count: 293

Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8

Amroth
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Amroth » January 9th, 2018, 4:23 pm

I would say about 95% of the time we would not finish the matches. Usually the main contributor to games not being finished has been people not being online the finish the game, or choosing to play something else.

I think the best way to actually FINISH games is to set max number of turns. If you were to do a score based victory and give people only 100-150 turns then you could potentially finish it in one sitting. You could also set the game to start in a later era and then do only 70-80 turns in that era (turn down era speed to something really slow).

I think a regular game time for a longer game would be ideal though. I personally like playing the same game and digging myself out of problems and keeping myself ahead of other people.

With that in mind, everyone who reads this, I am going to create a new post and ask people to vote for a night to try and play a continuous game.
word count: 175

Swift-GODisGOOD
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: 76561197964789427

Post by Swift-GODisGOOD » January 10th, 2018, 12:05 am

Thanks for your response bro! I actually don't know if I really knew there was those options, but they sound like they would certainly help shorten the length of a game.
word count: 32

Anyone who does not love does not know God, because God is love. 1 John 4:8

mario
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: marioeknecht
Origin Profile: marioeknecht
UPlay Player: marioeknecht
Battle.net Profile: marioeknecht

Post by mario » March 31st, 2018, 9:45 pm

even though I don't really know yet how to play this game I'd like to try and play it with you guys as well : )
word count: 26