Are Violent Video Games Sinful?

Talk about anything and everything that is on that little mind of yours!
Paranoid-Glitch

Are Violent Video Games Sinful?

Post by Paranoid-Glitch » August 24th, 2016, 10:46 pm

Hello, i am relatively new to the group and also a new (sorry i cannot find a word to communicate the level of my faith in God), anyway i was wondering does playing violent video games or video games with sinful themes sinful (e.g. Battlefield, Call Of Duty, Destiny etc.)? Personally i believe in all we do we should challenge whether it passes the test of Philippians 4:8 "Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.". The bible tells us to to be like Jesus and follow him and hence fully communicate what it means to be Christian (followers of Christ). And so we ask ourselves "What would Jesus do?" OR "Would Jesus do this?". Most people might say "as long as it does not become an idol it is okay" but i do not think a single biblical scripture could outweigh another, they are all equal in the word they convey. My personal opinion is that whether or not something edifies God we could use our goodness to make it so and hence complies by Biblical principles. I find this question rather problematic and i am not certain about my answer? I'm hoping that i could get insight on this. What are your thoughts, are video games that are violent or have sinful themes sinful and hence wrong to engage in? Thanks :D :D
word count: 250

Imagine Wagons
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823

Re: Are Violent Video Games Sinful?

Post by Imagine Wagons » August 24th, 2016, 11:59 pm

Personally, I don't think that it is a problem. Also Good guys vs. Bad guys is pretty much what most video games grind down to, and that to me personally is a good thing, instead of going out and doing illegal things. I know that if it weren't for video games I would be in a very different spot in life. I lived in a very gang ridden city and drugs were everywhere.

Also let me ask you this, do you personally think that Christians can't be involved in military?
word count: 93

Paranoid-Glitch

Post by Paranoid-Glitch » August 25th, 2016, 7:31 am

i believe they can, but as long as they obey the word. If they kill (even if necessary) i don't think they should do so.
word count: 26

Gidget
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Gidget » August 25th, 2016, 8:23 am

Paranoid-Glitch wrote:i believe they can, but as long as they obey the word. If they kill (even if necessary) i don't think they should do so.

Why would it be against the Bible to kill if you are engaged in battle?
word count: 44

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 10:2

http://www.lifeofkilo.blogspot.com

Cptn Merika
Steam Profile: Cptn Merika

Post by Cptn Merika » August 25th, 2016, 8:41 am

I think anything can be defined into two categories: Does it bring glory to God or does it not. In all we do, regardless of the activity, our primary objective should be to bring glory to God. As far as video games go, it all depends (in my opinion) on how you view the game and if you are glorifying the game as an idol, or glorifying the sin within the video game (i.e. murder, sexual references, cursing). Not all games fit into that category.

The bible says in multiple verses that the spirit of God lives within us, so by definition and mere understanding we take God with us in everything we do if you are a believer. The question I ask myself knowing that the spirit of God is always with me is; am I exposing my heart to something that is tarnishing my relationship with Christ or is it reinforcing my relationship with Christ.
word count: 158
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6

Paranoid-Glitch

Post by Paranoid-Glitch » August 25th, 2016, 5:27 pm

Gidget wrote:
Paranoid-Glitch wrote:i believe they can, but as long as they obey the word. If they kill (even if necessary) i don't think they should do so.

Why would it be against the Bible to kill if you are engaged in battle?
I believe that despite the circumstance murder should not be justified and hence is sinful.
word count: 61

Ongurth
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ongurth
Location: doing fun and exciting things, such as praying, writing, shooting, or Krav Maga

Post by Ongurth » August 25th, 2016, 5:40 pm

Is all killing murder?
word count: 4

KustomElvis

Post by KustomElvis » August 25th, 2016, 10:05 pm

I believe it comes down to the heart of the matter. If you are not going to church, hanging out with killer and the mafia, AND doing multiple other intense things because of the influence of the games you play, then it may be time to stop plaything those kind of games and re-evaluate your life.

The way I see it is that these are only pixels and as such, I cannot take any of it seriously. I used to play League of Legends like a boss and even then some and it got to the point where I would swear and treat people like garbage for not being a team player and doing what they are supposed to do. I uninstalled and stepped away and I have not seriously played that game in over 2 years.

Listen to your heart and watch if your life changes for the worse after playing certain kind of games. This is how I will always see if a game is sinful in my life or not.
word count: 174

Reconize

Post by Reconize » August 26th, 2016, 8:22 am

Good stuff Ongurth. Let's see if you get answers.

Why is there so many "I believe..."? In God's eyes he doesn't really care what you believe to be truth. He expects you to follow his truth.
word count: 39

Paranoid-Glitch

Post by Paranoid-Glitch » August 27th, 2016, 6:08 pm

Ongurth wrote:Is all killing murder?
Hmm, i'm not sure. But Leviticus 24:17 says "Whoever takes a human life shall surely be put to death." and Romans 12:19 says "Beloved, never avenge yourselves, but leave it to the wrath of God, for it is written, “Vengeance is mine, I will repay, says the Lord." So no matter the context according to the bible isn't all killing unjustified?
word count: 71