Operating Systems/Peripherals of Preference

Talk about anything and everything that is on that little mind of yours!
Kurushii Drive
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Kurushii Drive

Operating Systems/Peripherals of Preference

Post by Kurushii Drive » January 2nd, 2017, 10:40 pm

I'm just curious of what type of equipment you guys use to play video games. I'm on the rather mellow side of things when it comes to computer specs, since fighting games have very low minimum requirements anyway, but I'm sure there are those of you who are loaded up with your GTX 1080s and Razer Game Boosters --ahem, ahem, NeoJabez-- ^.^

Do you guys fall under Windows 10/8.1/7/XP, Mac OS X, or Linux (whichever type you have)? Do you prefer peripherals from Razer, HyperX, MadCatz, Asus, Acer, Alienware, what have you? Also do you favour AMD or Intel as your processor of choice? AMD or NVIDIA as your graphics card? Anything else you are proud of (but don't value over your relationship with Christ lol). Or even if anyone here plays any games at the professional level?

After all, this is a gaming guild. These questions shan't be avoided, ay?

Intel Core i5-6200U @ 2.3GHz (turbo 2.8GHz) 3M Cache
8GB DDR4 SODIMM @ 1600 MHz (I think)
NVIDIA GeForce 940M 2GB DDR3 VRAM
1920x1080 Full HD touchscreen display
MadCatz Street Fighter X Tekken Arcade FightStick PRO Tournament Edition (controller for fighting games)
Sony Headphones w/ built-in mic (they were only 40.00 USD lol)
Windows 10 x64 version 1607
word count: 217

DragonStar Gaming
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DragonStarGaming

Re: Operating Systems/Peripherals of Preference

Post by DragonStar Gaming » January 3rd, 2017, 12:02 am

Ugh. I wish I had hardware worth bragging about. My computer is decent, but it lacks a graphics card (I have built in graphics on my CPU :/ ) My headset is cheap as cheap can get and only the mic works. My monitor is a Dell 4:3 with a 1280x1024 resolution (I changed the resolution to 1280x768 cause I prefer widescreen). Everything else, except my computer, is of similar low quality.

I can say that I do prefer Intel over AMD, so therefore Nvidia over AMD. I would love to own Razer equipment, but until then, I might be getting a Logitech headset, controller, and later probably a keyboard and mouse. Logitech seems to be a good choice for decent equipment without being too much money.

What are your guys' opinions on Logitech, just out of curiosity?
word count: 137

Kurushii Drive
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Kurushii Drive

Post by Kurushii Drive » January 3rd, 2017, 12:54 am

Logitech is stellar. The key is that they use fewer parts in their mice and keyboards than does Razer. Razer I've never been a fan of, since honestly, they're just a name in the gaming world and they boast high quality when in reality their products will last you a month.
word count: 53

Reconize

Post by Reconize » January 4th, 2017, 7:43 am

I think it really comes down to personal preference through trial and error. Me I have a main rig that is about 3-4 years old now so it's pretty outdated, but still does a good job. But I also have several other machines throughout the house performing tasks. My server is linux. My Pi's are Kodi and Linux Plex. I dual boot my laptop depending on what I want to do with it. And then I have several virtual machines running on a server for different functions on the network. So each "machine" has it's purpose and through trial and error, I have come to use the OS it deserves. With peripherals it comes down to what you want to pay and how well it fits your style. You said you prefer Intel, but AMD wins in the cost side. Both Nvidia and AMD have a different outlook on architecture right now so we will see who wins out.

Point is. go with what you like. If you dont like it when you get dont get it again.

Rec
word count: 183

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 5th, 2017, 12:46 pm

Razer Game Booster? Don't have that. (Not using any Razer equipment at the moment, though I used to use a Chameleon mouse. (It's still around here somewhere.)

I was skeptical, (always skeptical of new Windows OSs) but I did build the latest machine with Windows 10 Pro in mind, and am glad I did. I COMPLETELY understand those who don't want to go beyond Win7 right now, but 10 is very much like 7 in my opinion, in the sense that 7 was a decent OS that fixed all of the horrible problems of Vista, but kept some of the new goodies. 10 is like that for Win8. It keeps a couple of interesting things they added, but gets rid of the weirdnesses of 8.

I use MOST of the same software I used on 7 on this machine, all my programs didn't suddenly break down and refuse to work or anything. Of course, I might not be saying any of this if I hadn't built "Overkill" (what I call this machine, yes really)...

Not really going to go into all the parts/peripherals at the moment, just wanted to put in my two cents about 10. I mean, everyone will have to upgrade eventually, why not now while the OS is still relevant and supported, rather than two years after the next one comes out and they stop supporting this one? (You'd be amazed how many people flat refuse to use Win10!)
word count: 249
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Eliter
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Eliter » January 6th, 2017, 12:47 am

Ubuntuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Linux!!!!

AMD and Intel are synonymous, in my opinion. AMD fits budgets though.

NVIDIA has a lot more support (software wise), though.

Intel is just SLIGHTLY higher than AMD, but it's hardly noticeable what you can't do on an AMD machine.
word count: 44
~Eliter
Jesus wrote:father forgive them they know not what they do.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 6th, 2017, 1:34 am

It is generally a myth that AMD is cheaper. It depends on what level you're purchasing at. If you're going high end, they are about the same, but...I mean, on the low end, AMD has a chip that costs $30, where the Intel costs $45, but the Intel is faster, and you get more computing power per dollar spent.

If you want the best performance and price doesn't matter, turn to Intel. Intel chips rank consistently better in CPU benchmarks, but Intel's processors draw less heat as well.

This is probably mostly owed to Intel's usage of hyperthreading, which has been part of its CPUs since 2002. Hyperthreading makes sure existing cores are active rather than letting any of them remain unproductive.

AMD, on the other hand, historically takes pride in its focus on increasing the number of cores in its chips. On paper, this would make AMD's chips faster than Intel's, if it weren't for the hugely negative impact on heat dissipation.

Intel also works better with a high-end GPU. Intel chipsets take better advantage of both Radeon and NVidia graphics packages than AMD. When I say take advantage, I mean the difference could be over 30-40 frames per second.

Again, all depends on your usage. I play all my games on ultra settings, and do a lot of graphics and video work. I have seen a MASSIVE improvement in render time and special effects processing time since switching to the Intels from the AMDs. (My last system was AMD.) Of course, part of that massive difference could be chalked up to having lots more RAM, more than one GPU, etc...

When the conversation runs to OSs, I would just like to make a point...

Windows, Linux, and Mac all have their uses, and you should use the right tool for the job.

Most LAMP web development uses Linux across the board. (Lamp= Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP These are all technologies the CC uses on its servers.)

Macs are just as likely to be used by college freshmen, or moms, as graphic designers.

Windows machines can do a little bit of everything, the OS has been pretty stable for a few years now, and you can use Windows in a CAD, pro graphics, or 3D environment pretty easily, as easily as you can on a MAC now. Obviously there is quite a bit more commercial software and games available for Windows, but my point again:

Use the right tool for the job. For me that means using Windows. For others, it means other OSs. No reason to debate which is better, they are all good at various uses.
word count: 450

HangGlyder
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: CC_HangGlyder

Post by HangGlyder » January 6th, 2017, 11:41 am

I use Linux on my machines - using Fedora 25 for my main machine at home (Dell Optiplex 1020) and Mint 18 at work. My laptop is on CentOS. NVIDIA videocards have always been my favorite. My current machine has an older GT960 card, been wanting to get the 1080 after tax refunds are back. As a note, updates in Fedora can be a pain since it sometimes renders my videocard useless (kernel incompatibilities) - have to install non-proprietory stuff to get video working. Otherwise I'm glad to be free from Windows.

Hang.
word count: 93
Thanks Thammy for this sweet sig!

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: MikeFed
Origin Profile: MichaelFedorai
UPlay Player: MichaelFedora
Battle.net Profile: MikeFed#1151

Post by Michael Fedora » January 6th, 2017, 8:44 pm

Win10 Home, MSI mobo, AMD Athlon X4 880k, NVidia GTX 1060 6gb, WD Blue 1tb drive and some recycled drives, g.skill blue memory...

I used utechsmart for periphials, which are fine but pretty cheap. Only lasted me 2 years so far and need to be replaced by next year in the least. Their pretty solid though, just don't last forever :shrug:

AOC ultrawide is pretty nice, Logitech speakers are great, hypercloudx for headphones are great, really comfortable, took them a while to stretch to my head size though (I have a big head .-.).

Once I get the money I want to upgrade to intel & ssds, unless RyZen is nice. Intel is *really* expensive, but an i5, even if it's slower, would be really nice...
word count: 127
[quote="Arca Jeth (SW Legends)"]"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light."[/quote]
On the Kingdom

"I didn't even know we had an army!" ~ Hunter, UK

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 6th, 2017, 9:11 pm

I've heard some good stuff about RyZen, Mike. I can confirm that SSDs are pretty great if you can afford them. I will try to always buy them bigger in the future though. I'm constantly deleting stuff off of my system drive since it's a little smaller than optimum, but it's cool cause I have a total of 13.79TB of HDD space anyway. :D

(On active drives, there's a bunch of others lying around here and there.)
word count: 82