What kind of music do you guys listen to?

Talk about clean shows, videos, music, pictures, books, etc.
Rivet
Steam Profile: Rivet

What kind of music do you guys listen to?

Postby Rivet » April 20th, 2017, 7:47 am

I was wondering what genres or artists you guys listen to. This doesn't strictly need to be limited to Christian music, but by all means please let me know. I play ukulele and I've been told I'm a pretty good performer, and I record covers of songs here and there. so I thought maybe it would be a good idea to do a cover of a worship song every week and post it here. Kind of like a mini worship ministry or something. And on top of that, I kind of want to just get to know what music you guys listen to, since music is a big part of who I am as a person, and it's one of the ways I get to know people :P

I listen to a lot of Christian metal, punk rock, as well as acoustic stuff, but my favorite bands are:
    Panic! At The Disco
    Memphis May Fire
    Jason Mraz
    MercyMe
    Gungor
    A Day To Remember
    twenty one pilots
    Basically anything you could classify as "contemporary Christian"

What about all of you?
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Cor. 13:13

Cptn Merika
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Cptn Merika
Battle.net Profile: CptnMerika#1723

Re: What kind of music do you guys listen to?

Postby Cptn Merika » April 20th, 2017, 7:56 am

I listen to mostly Classic, 90s and Hair Band Rock. I don't really like to many new era bands except for bands like Disturbed, Shinedown, etc.
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." - Deuteronomy 31:6

Combiseries
Steam Profile: combiseries

Postby Combiseries » April 20th, 2017, 8:10 am

I'm an all rounder as I play the bass guitar and used to play in an indie rock band before i became a Christian. I will listen to anything as long as it's not satanic.

Worship/Christian Contemporary
Newsboys
Bethel Music
Jesus Culture
Kari Jobe
Sandi Patti
Michael W. Smith
Matt Redman
Chris Tomlin
Justin Riddle
Jimmy Swaggart
Greg Coleman
Randy Knapp's
Sonic Flood
Switchfoot
P.O.D.
Ermmmm, and some others i can't think of right now (in work see).

Secular
Hawkwind
Ozric Tentacles
Iron Maiden
Metallica
Megadeth
Queen
Green Day
Motorhead
And some other rock bands which escape me

I have a generous Google music account so i also listen to epic/classical music too like

Two steps from Hell and movie scores etc

Oh and this probably sounds a bit geek, but i also listen to chip music which is based on the sounds of the old 8bit computers. There are CDs of upto date remakes of the old 8bit games theme tunes,from musicians like Daxx and Mind in a Box amongst countless others.

I'm a big fan of EA soundtracks game scores too.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Rivet

Postby Rivet » April 20th, 2017, 8:14 am

Disturbed is pretty good, I like a few of their songs. 90's is a big one for me too. A lot of Blink-182, The Offspring, Eve 6, and Sum-41. I think it's really cool that you listen to classical. I have a whole separate playlist dedicated for more instrumental songs, which can vary from EDM to orchestral pieces. Being in band for as long as I was kinda got me interested in orchestral video game soundtracks (the Zelda 25th Anniversary Orchestral CD is fantastic), as well as more traditional pieces. Is Shinedown still good by the way? I remember they got a little more popular back in like 2010 for "Second Chance" but I haven't heard anything about them since.

Also, Combiseries, EA and BioWare have fantastic composers with them. The Mass Effect soundtrack was amazing, as well as the Dragon Age scores. I completely understand the 8bit thing though XD there's a really cool Japanese EDM artist called YMCK and their whole style is based around using old Gameboy soundboards. It's pretty cool.
"And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love." -1 Cor. 13:13

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » April 20th, 2017, 8:27 am

Yeah, currently listening to the Mass Effect 3 tracks. Awesome.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » April 20th, 2017, 1:49 pm

Way back in the day we had a pretty strong artistic presence in the Christian Crew, and our digital artists would jump at the chance to make new signatures and avatars for new people on the forums to help welcome them, break the ice, etc.

We formed an art group called "[-=ACE=-]" which stood for Artistic & Creative Endeavors. We kept growing and before long we weren't just digital artists, but writers, poets, musicians of all kinds, sculptors, painters, photographers, and everything in between.

We had weekly and monthly competitions, galleries of people's work, and everyone was encouraged to share tutorials on how they achieved their artistic results, so we had plenty of tutorials as well.

(You'll find a couple of ACE milestones in the CC Memorial Timeline at https://ccgaming.com/media/history )

Anyway, quite a few of our members were artists of one stripe or another, and many of them were musicians. You should know that I'm VERY PICKY about music, and that I rarely, if ever, turn on a radio for any genre. Most of what I like comes to me through other means, which is important to this story...

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

A few of our members, notable for reasons other than their musicianship, released a few great tunes, and I've used those tunes in conjunction with our newsletters and things in the past. For example, one of our former Council Members, AttolloDeus, put out a couple of tunes that I've used more than once, and whenever he hears them, he's kinda like..."Oh gosh, those are bad." (Presumably because he could do much better now.), but I think most people would get a kick out of them anyway.

This one is sort of a tribute, and could fall into a couple of genres, including chiptune, (sort of.) (I'm not sure if this is the whole song, by the way.)

Attollo Deus - Zelda Remix:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anyway, recently Levamentum returned to our forums...When he was a little younger, the "Backstage Band" at his church in Lake Arlington, Texas released a few recordings which were excellent...The recording quality leaves a little to be desired, but they were a very decent band, and their vocalist at the time, a young woman named Kelly Pryor, was superb.

Backstage Band - Blessed Be Your Name:

We had a great, funny YAC guy (yet another Canadian) named "ThePackage" in CC for years who used programs like Sony Acid Studio to make music out of loops, even though most of his music was loop-based, his songs were great fun.

The Package - Adrenaline:

But then, one of the greatest musicians we EVER had in CC, one of my best friends on the internet, ever...Thamyris.

Thamyris grew up in a less than ideal situation, but he got a guitar when he was about 6 years old, and whenever bad things were happening, he would retreat to his room and his guitar. He's basically one of the best self-taught musicians I've ever heard, and he does all kinds of music, including cover songs. I'd love to try and get him to cover some good Christian music in the future. Anyway, here's:

Thamyris - In The Air Tonight:

I recently 'ran into' an old CC/ACE member who, for a good while, was the bass player in his local church's college worship band. This college worship band got so many compliments on their original songs and such, that the leader/vocalist/songwriter decided to see if he could fund recording their songs at a professional studio.

They surpassed their goal easily, and got recorded at a studio. This old ACE member happened to tell me about their music, and so I have their 5 song EP, which they recorded in 2015. These songs are so good, in my opinion, that they deserve airplay on Christian Radio, and should probably go viral! So, I got permission from the songwriter to use these songs in CC productions.

I wanted to create a slideshow of our members, as has been done in the past, but no one really seemed interested, (I only got photos from two people), so instead, I have been composing videos that show off the songs and their lyrics while having some CC related graphic in the shot.

When I get done with a couple more of the songs/videos, I'll release them, and I'm hoping that when I do, CC people will love the songs so much, they'll share them everywhere, and maybe cause this band's iTunes account to start getting hits. (Their songs are $.99 a piece on iTunes.) If we get them enough notice, they could maybe end up well known in Christian Radio if nothing else. Stranger things have happened.

I would just really like to see them blessed for their efforts, because their songs have blessed me, seriously. I rarely listen to music of this type, sort of a slow, Christian Contemporary, soft rock sort of sound...Definitely worship music, but their songs are phenomenal.

The only reason I haven't released any of them to CC yet is that I want to create a video for all the songs, so none of them get overlooked. I feel like, if I release one really good song/video, people will check out their music, and that's it. They'll let the other good songs on the EP fall through the cracks without giving them their due.

Whereas if I release a video with each one, that really ties what they are about into the video, it's possible I could make every single song interesting to people, in which case, they could go viral and something interesting could happen for them.
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Combiseries

Postby Combiseries » April 20th, 2017, 3:05 pm

Awesome, awesome super awesome, praise God, Amen.....

Rivet

Postby Rivet » April 21st, 2017, 8:01 am

I would totally watch them if you did post them :P I might have to go home from work today and give them a listen! But that's really cool that you guys listen and keep the music your members do, even if it isn't the best quality or whatever XD maybe I should make my mark here as well, maybe do a once a week worship song or something. Would you guys be okay with that?

Kurushii Drive
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Kurushii Drive

Postby Kurushii Drive » April 21st, 2017, 5:54 pm

You can check my signature below for my YT playlist of Contemporary Christian Music songs...but here are my favourite bands/artists (I generally prefer the Christian rock and 'classical' styles):

• Casting Crowns
  • Passion
  • Tenth Avenue North
  • Kutless
  • Kari Jobe
  • Natalie Grant
  • Matthew West
  • Jeremy Camp

My all-time favourite Christian songs are The Lord Our God by Passion, Lifesong by Casting Crowns, Love is Here by Tenth Avenue North, and Innocence by Jeremy Camp.

As far as secular songs go...I don't listen to any form of 'pop-culture' songs at all; but I do enjoy listening to game OSTs and well composed classical pieces sometimes (and admittedly...well, I like anime music, too. Though I don't necessarily listen to it nowadays >.<). Here are my favourites for those:

• BlazBlue Original Soundtrack (OST) by Daisuke Ishiwatari (I like almost every song from this game series)
  • Turkish March (Beethoven)
  • Humoresque by Dvörak
  • Most of Hans Zimmer's pieces
  • This Will Be The Day by Casey Lee Williams (RWBY Season 1 Opening Theme)
  • Time to Say Goodbye by Casey Lee Williams (RWBY Season 2 Opening Theme)
  • Teardrop by BOWL (Yugioh! GX Opening Theme (not sure which season))
  • 「no pain, no game」by nano (BTOOOM! opening theme)

I'm also in the process of making other playlists under these 'miscellaneous' categories, so yeah.

Grizz Gallant
Ark: SE Division Leader
Ark: SE Division Leader
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Postby Grizz Gallant » April 21st, 2017, 8:38 pm

Joy Electric
The W's
Demon Hunter
Skillet
Yoshida Brothers
Fold Zandura

Return to “Christian Entertainment”