Christian perspectives on mathematics

Talk about clean shows, videos, music, pictures, books, etc.
jonakel

Christian perspectives on mathematics

Post by jonakel » August 4th, 2016, 3:10 pm

Hi,

I am looking for articles, periodicals, editorals, and books that offer Christian perspectives on mathematical philosophy and mathematics. I have read Bertrand Russell's Introduction to Mathematical Philosophy. Also, I an skilled in differential and integral calculus, so I could handle math discussion at that level. However, I have not read any Christian perspectives on these fields.

Does anyone here have any suggestions? :-)
word count: 64

Gidget
CC Member
CC Member

Re: Christian perspectives on mathematics

Post by Gidget » August 4th, 2016, 5:09 pm

What would be different about a Christian perspective of mathematics then a secular one?
word count: 14

The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few;
therefore beseech the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into His harvest.
Luke 10:2

http://www.lifeofkilo.blogspot.com

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » August 4th, 2016, 5:44 pm

The fundamentals of God's design in nature! :)

There is an innate beauty in the simultaneous complexity and simplicity of mathematics, how everything in the world fits together in such wonderful ways, and the study and expansion of mathematics is foundational to admiring God's handiwork in many facets. Fibonacci sequences, waves, time, gravity, the fine-tuning of the universe...

Math is a fascinating language used to communicate amazing truths which God established from the creation of the world. Actively overlaying the Christian perspective not only keeps man from becoming consumed in pride with his discoveries, but it points man toward the originator of those things that already exist which are merely being touched on by our own minds.

As jonakel mentioned, mathematics and philosophy have an interesting overlap. There are depths to be plumbed! :D

Jonakel, I don't know of any books that tie in with Christianity, but with a Christian lens there is a lot of mathematical-philosophical hybrid information to be gleaned from general educational literature. (I was reading a book about the Prime Number Theorem 2 Christmases ago...)
word count: 182

Crosser
Steam Profile: crosser222

Post by Crosser » August 4th, 2016, 8:16 pm

word count: 11
I look at the world from a different angle;
People change; even Satan used to be an angel..

Eliter
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Eliter » August 6th, 2016, 11:11 am

AttolloDeus wrote:The fundamentals of God's design in nature! :)

There is an innate beauty in the simultaneous complexity and simplicity of mathematics, how everything in the world fits together in such wonderful ways, and the study and expansion of mathematics is foundational to admiring God's handiwork in many facets. Fibonacci sequences, waves, time, gravity, the fine-tuning of the universe...

Math is a fascinating language used to communicate amazing truths which God established from the creation of the world. Actively overlaying the Christian perspective not only keeps man from becoming consumed in pride with his discoveries, but it points man toward the originator of those things that already exist which are merely being touched on by our own minds.

As jonakel mentioned, mathematics and philosophy have an interesting overlap. There are depths to be plumbed! :D

Jonakel, I don't know of any books that tie in with Christianity, but with a Christian lens there is a lot of mathematical-philosophical hybrid information to be gleaned from general educational literature. (I was reading a book about the Prime Number Theorem 2 Christmases ago...)

That was just an awesome post. +1
word count: 191
~Eliter
Jesus wrote:father forgive them they know not what they do.

tk3soj
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: 0:1:38195806

Post by tk3soj » August 9th, 2016, 11:05 pm

+1 for surfing Reasonable Faith website. William Lane Craig is a smart philosopher and references some math, but I doubt that he is a mathematician. I bet you can find some useful articles or references to books there. When I read your post, my first thought was to surf RF for articles, but I'm sure you are better capable of finding what is interesting to you.
word count: 67
<><