Faulty GPU?

Problems with your computer or anything else? We have a lot of skilled members that are very knowledgeable and might be of help!
Dark
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:1711680

Faulty GPU?

Post by Dark » September 30th, 2019, 11:42 pm

Been having some problems today lol. My PC was booting with a black screen when my GPU was connected to the motherboard. This is an older build I just recently started upgrading. Today I got in a new CPU and when I went to boot the computer I would get nothing but a black screen, I couldn’t even get to the system BIOS. Without the GPU connected I could see the boot menu and even boot into Windows without any problems. I’ve updated the bios, I’ve unplugged/unseated the GPU to make sure it was installed properly, I’ve plugged the cables into the right spot. I finally booted the computer into safe mode while the GPU was unplugged and uninstalled the drivers. After that I plugged the GPU back in and was a actually able to see something. The only problem is that this is what I saw:

[Problem #1](https://i.imgur.com/0B3qbIV.jpg)

I thought maybe I’d try installing the drivers to see if that helped, that’s when I saw this:

[Problem 2](https://i.imgur.com/GlQs0us.jpg)

So, give it to me straight. Is it a bad GPU or a bad PCI slot on my motherboard? Obviously something is not right. But I’m out of ideas.
word count: 218
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 6:23 -

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Faulty GPU?

Post by NeoJabez » October 3rd, 2019, 2:19 pm

Hey Dark...

We have a person on Discord named Reverlence who has some advice...He was temporarily unable to login here because of a password issue, and because he was at work on his mobile. So, I am copy and pasting what he said:
Reverlence said:

Looks like VRAM/Buffer corruption. Likely failing GPU, but also could be caused by insufficient power delivery.

Recommend testing GPU in known working machine first, if it tests good, reinsert into PC and check voltage delivery on the 6/8 pin 12v rail. if lower then 11.8 under load, replace PSU. Otherwise test with known good GPU and replace if faulty.
He offers "besta luck", and please let us know if you have other questions, and whether you figured out the issue.
word count: 129
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Dark
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:1711680

Re: Faulty GPU?

Post by Dark » October 4th, 2019, 1:52 am

Appreciate the info. I went ahead and ordered a new GPU, however, if I still have problems I’ll look into replacing the PSU.
word count: 24
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 6:23 -