computer question

Problems with your computer or anything else? We have a lot of skilled members that are very knowledgeable and might be of help!
Matirum
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Matirum

computer question

Post by Matirum » January 4th, 2016, 6:54 pm

today I reorganized my computer desk and to make things look less cluttered, I moved the computer into a cabinet below the desk. its closed into a space that is just a little bigger then the tower itself, but the back panel I took out to run cords into. I noticed that when I open the cabinet door it feels decently warm and I wasn't sure if I was keeping the computer in a too enclosed space and if I need to worry about it over heating.
word count: 88

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: computer question

Post by NeoJabez » January 4th, 2016, 7:01 pm

You *DO* need to worry about that, especially if this is a store bought computer like an HP or a Dell.

A friend of mine has one of those 'cubbies' in his desk and it killed his computer. (Opened up, it was also CHOKED with dust from being so confined with no ventilation.)
word count: 53
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Capt_Crunch

Post by Capt_Crunch » January 4th, 2016, 10:04 pm

If it were me, and I wanted to keep the tower in the current position, just remove both side panels of the tower and remove the front cabinet door. That should give you plenty of airflow. Modern motherboards shutdown before damage when the processor gets overheated. If you have an older pc you could put a clip-on fan to increase airflow.
word count: 62

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Post by shadowsbane » January 5th, 2016, 10:00 am

To clarify what Capt_Crunch said, most modern hardware, when functioning correctly, will shut down when it detects heat levels that approach the threshold for causing immediate damage. Moderately elevated temperatures over long periods will still cause damage, just more slowly. Heat is a major killer of computer components.

Keep the front door of the cabinet open while the computer is running, and check where the fans are on the tower. Give them as much clearance as possible. That means if the fan for the CPU cooler is drawing air from the left side of the case, put the PC against the right side of the cabinet to allow unrestricted airflow to that fan.
word count: 114

Matirum
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Matirum

Post by Matirum » January 5th, 2016, 3:49 pm

thanks for the help
word count: 4

Alex Mercer

Post by Alex Mercer » August 21st, 2016, 9:35 am

Nothing much could happen but it's good to stay safe. You don't have a heating issue today but, keeping it this way, you might have one someday. So, you better find another suitable place.
word count: 36

MJCaboose

Post by MJCaboose » August 21st, 2016, 1:33 pm

Yes.

Computers in enclosed spaces with no airflow = bad times.
word count: 10
US > China. NEVER forget Pearl Harbor. Today is the 100th year anniversary of the day china nuked pearl harbor. Never forget. RIP.