I know nothing about server hardware...

Problems with your computer or anything else? We have a lot of skilled members that are very knowledgeable and might be of help!
ThE_RevelationS
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Fred56789

I know nothing about server hardware...

Post by ThE_RevelationS » August 27th, 2016, 3:01 pm

Ok so im looking at buying a cheap server to a few game servers. Ark, Starbound, and possibly one other. Im looking at xeon processors and such but I don't know what is good and what is old...
word count: 39
--
For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.
2 Corinthians 2:4

Eliter
CC Member
CC Member

Re: I know nothing about server hardware...

Post by Eliter » October 2nd, 2016, 10:40 pm

"Tech Talk" would be a better place to put this post.
word count: 11
~Eliter
Jesus wrote:father forgive them they know not what they do.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » October 2nd, 2016, 10:54 pm

I apologize on Eliter's behalf for quite possibly the most unhelpful post ever.

Rev, an in-home server? If you're looking at Xeon's I can tell you that the easiest way to tell if something is brand new is that the newest Xeon's are like $5,000. heh If I'm not mistaken, the E7's (version 4) are the latest and greatest, but if you found a good deal on like an E5, you'd still be using what's considered 'current technology'...The E5 and E7 families are what are running pretty much everything right now.

A decent Broadwell, or E5, would run close to $500. Can you share the specs on what you've looked at so far, or what your budget might be? That would help a lot.

This page is 10 months old, but sort of gives you an idea of the progression of the modern Xeon's....

About a third of the way down the page, nice little chart: http://wccftech.com/intel-broadwell-ep- ... processor/
word count: 176
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

MJCaboose

Post by MJCaboose » October 2nd, 2016, 11:15 pm

This might be a helpful place for hardware: http://www.servermonkey.com/

Server requirements for Starbound are hard to find. Most places recommend similar specs for a Minecraft server.

Server requirements for ARK can be found here: http://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Serv ... quisites_2

Prerequisites

Your OS must be a 64-bit OS (ShooterGameServer is a 64-bit executable and as such will not run on a 32-bit install of Ubuntu or Windows). The server has been tested on Ubuntu 14.04[1] and should also support any Windows host where the prerequisites found in _CommonRedist can be installed.
Hardware

The server requires at least 6GB of RAM to start. Memory requirements increase as the number of connected players increases. On Windows Server 2012 R2, the client uses 2.3GB of RAM without any clients. On Linux, the installation uses 3.2GB of RAM without any clients.

I've got x2 E5's in a workstation and they've seem to run anything I throw at them decently.

It looks like RAM is going to be the greater concern over CPU.
word count: 180
US > China. NEVER forget Pearl Harbor. Today is the 100th year anniversary of the day china nuked pearl harbor. Never forget. RIP.

ThE_RevelationS
CC Member
CC Member

Post by ThE_RevelationS » October 3rd, 2016, 1:45 am

OK well currently I am running a server computer with a Pentium-D 2.5ghz processor and 4gb of ram running a cut version of windows 8.1 and an ssd it works alright running an ark server And I have had 5 clients connected at one time. So I'm not too worried about horsepower but I would like to be able to run 2 servers and possibly a media/file server in the background. I have been looking at i3s e3, and e5 processors. I'm looking at cheap and used ebay lots. I just have never run actual server hardware. I have always used old computers or run them either as a background task or in a vm on my main computer.
word count: 125
--
For I wrote you out of great distress and anguish of heart and with many tears, not to grieve you but to let you know the depth of my love for you.

bobc36
Steam Profile: bobc36

Post by bobc36 » October 3rd, 2016, 6:43 am

Rev,

Ebay is the way to go for the processors, just make sure you get some that are C stepping and above. Rev B processors tend to have some problems wit boards, and arent entirely stable (speaking from experience). AMD also has some nice server options with their 12-core Opteron's. If this guy still has his for sale, then they are a steal: https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-48-cor ... y.1908904/ In fact, those are steal of deals, and if I didnt have a little one on the way (or if i had another body to play games with) I would pick one of those up.

I used to do some F@H with some of those multiprocessor beasts, and I sold my last one a few years ago.

bob
word count: 133

ThE_RevelationS
CC Member
CC Member

Post by ThE_RevelationS » October 3rd, 2016, 7:27 am

Thanks bob
word count: 2
--

bobc36

Post by bobc36 » October 3rd, 2016, 7:48 am

No problem, I have have a 2P E5 xeon system right now that is my everyday PC. It works well and the only problems I had were getting my RAID to work on the initial startup.

Supermicro makes good boards too if you want to start from the ground up. Wiredzone.com usually has the cheapest prices for boards.

A couple of things to note are heat-sinks and PC cases. On the newer Xeons, you can get away with consumer heatsinks. I've got some Corsair H60s on my 2P system. When I had the 4P Opteron systems, I had to modify some CM Hyper 212+ to make sure they fit on the board. As for the PC Cases, these 4P monsters are just that, freakishly large monsters. I ended up getting a Bitfenix Shinobi XL case and drilling and tapping new holes to fit. Others have just run them in cardboard boxes. There are 2P motherboards that will fit in ATX and EATX cases.

Lastly, I never thought about it, but these boards are expensive and sometimes they require a signature for shipping. Do yourself a favor and ship it to a UPS/Fedex store, or if you can send it to a receiving department at your work, that is also a possibility. I didnt realize this and it was a headache getting my first mobo.

Sorry for rambling on,

bob
word count: 233

ThE_RevelationS
CC Member
CC Member

Post by ThE_RevelationS » October 3rd, 2016, 1:03 pm

No problem. I'm probably looking in a used under $300 range just to get my feet wet. Soon enough I will retire my main computer and that will work great for my needs. But for the meantime a multi cpu xeon or am would be nice. What do you think about something like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/351767341485
word count: 61
--

bobc36

Post by bobc36 » October 4th, 2016, 10:08 am

That would be the way to go since you are budget strapped. As for the linked server, you have to keep in mind that the HDD and OS are not included. Be careful with that server as it will be loud.

Also if you are in the following states, you will be charged sales tax per the ebay link: Missouri, Arizona, Nevada, South Carolina, South Dakota, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Texas customers will be charged State Sales Tax.
word count: 78