Computer issue...

Problems with your computer or anything else? We have a lot of skilled members that are very knowledgeable and might be of help!
NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Computer issue...

Post by NeoJabez » October 2nd, 2016, 6:01 pm

Okay, so my wildly expensive PC is doing something weird today, and a quick search of the net shows me this might happen relatively often.

Let me start off by saying I'm pretty hardware savvy, so I have looked up this issue and understood most of the posts made about it, but I'm mainly posting here to sort of ask what others would do, as a next step in the process of elimination for this problem.

Okay, I have an MSI X99A Gaming 7 motherboard, and it has this little digital debug code thing on it. I keep getting a cycle of 04, 60, 55. Which, according to almost everywhere I've looked they either say some of the RAM is faulty or the CPU pins are bent. Since my computer has been running faultlessly for months, I have to assume it's not the CPU socket pins.

So, the only 'big' change since I got the computer is that the Win10 Anniversary update was earlier this week.

I have dual BIOS and have tried starting with both, I have gone all the way down to one DIMM, up to 3 and 4, and all configurations do not work, in fact, with a couple of RAM configurations I get a whole lot more error codes.

The only thing I can think to do at this point is literally use only one RAM slot, with only one DIMM, and check each stick I have until it boots. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with two DIMMs in, etc.

This is exasperating, and I'd really rather not have to RMA any parts if it's not something that requires that much trouble.

Any ideas?
word count: 288
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

The Winged Scribe
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ChronicleStone
Battle.net Profile: WingedScribe#1340

Re: Computer issue...

Post by The Winged Scribe » October 2nd, 2016, 6:15 pm

*blinks*

word count: 1

"But that's a house!" ~ Michael Fedora
"Always good to have a plant." ~ Ongurth

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » October 2nd, 2016, 6:39 pm

The most helpful post so far!

Thanks Scribe!
word count: 8

Globalkoas
Council Advisor
Council Advisor

Post by Globalkoas » October 2nd, 2016, 6:45 pm

It's got to be the ram... does it do it from the start or after the comp heats up.. by this I mean is the ram overheating causing an issue
word count: 31
#RomansMissYa!
https://youtu.be/ea5A8wEIwIg

Globalkoas
Council Advisor
Council Advisor

Post by Globalkoas » October 2nd, 2016, 6:47 pm

Also trying the ram one at a time
word count: 8
#RomansMissYa!
https://youtu.be/ea5A8wEIwIg

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » October 2nd, 2016, 7:00 pm

It doesn't even get as far as BIOS...This started the first time I cold-booted earlier today. PC had been powered down for hours, so---not overheating.

Doing various RAM configurations I've ended up with all sorts of codes, still no video response or proof BIOS is even running though. (Because no video response.) Finally got the keyboard to light up, before only Mouse would.

All the different possible RAM configurations in the manual all start with a stick in the first slot, what if the first slot is bad? lol
word count: 94

KustomElvis

Post by KustomElvis » October 2nd, 2016, 7:30 pm

clear cmos, take out the battery, do what it takes to reset everything back to stock from factory and then try the ram sticks and so forth until it is determined to be the ram or the ram slots.

I was watching Jayz2cents and he built this EPIC water cooling build and he even tested it before starting the process of putting the blocks and water all together, but when he finished one of the ram slots was bad, soooo all the work for nothing I guess. Thankfully with computers you do not have as many parts as a new car with computers and sensors, so getting to the root cause should be simple enough.

Oh and I will not get Windows 10 until someone puts a knife to my throat and I am FORCED to download and install it. No one here or anywhere can convince me that it is better, than my near perfect pc build with Windows 8.1.
word count: 162

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » October 2nd, 2016, 7:40 pm

I will make sure I'm looking at the correct jumpers and clear cmos...I hope it helps, I dread even the idea of RMA. I hate bureaucracy and anything that even feels like it. (Warranty returns, blah blah blah) heh
word count: 41

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » October 2nd, 2016, 8:27 pm

Cleared cmos, also tried bios b again, no change.
word count: 9

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » October 2nd, 2016, 8:51 pm

I'll settle for making the 2nd most helpful post... stay clear of live wires. :wink:

Spoiler! :
word count: 16