Multiple Fortnite Crashes a Night

Problems with your computer or anything else? We have a lot of skilled members that are very knowledgeable and might be of help!
Dark
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:1711680

Multiple Fortnite Crashes a Night

Post by Dark » January 4th, 2019, 9:58 am

I’ve been having some issues trying to run Fortnite on my PC. I get multiple game crashes a night and an error dialog box will come up saying “An Unreal process has crashed: UE4-Fortnite Game.” I’ve sent in the report every time it has crashed and I reached out to Epic for tech support but have not received a response. I’ve tried several different things to fix this problem. I’ve googled and done fixes that people have posted online, I’ve tried updating my graphics drivers, I’ve tried reverting to old drivers as some pages have suggested, I’ve tried reinstalling the game, but nothing has helped. I am considering buying a new GPU to see if that helps, but I’d rather not sink money into a new GPU if I don’t have to. My specs are:
-Processor: Intel i5-4590 3.3 GHz Quad Core
-Motherboard: MSI H81M-P33 Micro ATX LGA 1150
-HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200 HDD
-SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB
-GPU: XFX Radeon R9 380X 4GB DD XXX OC
-Power Supply: EVGA 500
-RAM: 16 GB DDR3 1600
-Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
word count: 199
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- Romans 6:23 -

Imagine Wagons
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823

Re: Multiple Fortnite Crashes a Night

Post by Imagine Wagons » January 4th, 2019, 7:23 pm

Is it doing this with any other game besides fortnite? To me it sounds like there is something wrong with the game cache, try verifying it to see if there is an issue with that then if worse comes to worse go with a new graphics card.

Also in the Error Dialog is there a code or anything that pops up with it if so could you post it or a screen shot of the dialog?
word count: 76

Dark
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Dark » January 6th, 2019, 2:28 am

I've definitely had a some games just exit completely out for no apparent reason, usually with no crash report.

Here is a screenshot of the Error Dialog box I took: https://imgur.com/a/SGsoIGH

Here is what appears to be a crash log file: https://imgur.com/a/nTn61WE
word count: 51
For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 6th, 2019, 5:27 pm

I'm not absolutely certain this is your problem, but based on your errors I think that you use Norton Antivirus, and that it is picking up a false positive trojan warning on Filename: pakchunk0-windowsclient.sig in the game's directory.

So, Norton is removing that file. If that file is removed, the Unreal engine in Fortnite can't run properly.

So, if you ARE using Norton, restore that file, and ignore future warnings. This has been a HUGE issue for lots of players, according to everything I could find.

I think Epic Games even mentioned on their Twitter at one point that they were working with Norton to resolve the issue.

If you don't use Norton, it's still possible that this file is drawing a false positive trojan threat warning and removal from your antivirus.

There have also been reports of "Chrome issues", but I have no further information on that.

If this doesn't help, I apologize, but it's the first step on the 'process of elimination' towards finding the problem.
word count: 177
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Dark
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Dark » January 7th, 2019, 1:42 am

I have verified the game through the Epic Games launcher and then tried to play the game again. Crashed in the first match I played.

Neo, I searched that file in the game directory and it's still there, so that doesn't appear to be the issue either.
word count: 49

Dark
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Dark » January 11th, 2019, 4:24 pm

Well, a new problem has presented itself. I was playing last night when I got this blue screen. I fear I may need to just format my computer and try from there.

ext/dmzx/imageupload/files/fdf21ddb8547 ... 61e76.jpeg
word count: 39

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 12th, 2019, 3:18 pm

KMode is usually a driver issue.

Try this:

Disable Win10 Fast Boot.
  • Go to the Control Panel
  • Click on System and Security
  • Choose Power Options
  • Click on Choose what power buttons do
  • Click on Change settings that are currently available
  • Uncheck the box that reads Turn on fast start-up
  • Save the changes
You can also, alternatively, update your drivers, and/or scan you system. There are lots of ways to update drives and boot Windows 10 into safe mode for testing and stuff, so I'll just tell you how to scan...

Scanning:
  • Open the Command Prompt by either pressing the Windows Key + R simultaneously and typing cmd in the box that shows up, or by pressing the Windows Key and typing cmd into the search box. (You might want to right-click and choose "Run As Administrator" so you'll get an 'elevated command prompt'.)
  • Type in the command sfc /scannow and press enter
  • Wait until the process is finished. It might take a while
  • Restart your computer
The sorts of problems you're having are almost always driver related, so...Have you updated your graphics drivers recently? Let's say you have an Nvidia GPU...are you running a Dell or HP computer, or something like that? Sometimes the GPU drivers will not play nice with the same drivers released by your computer manufacturer. So, instead of using the latest Nvidia driver package, you might want the latest Dell or HP package, for example.

If all else fails, there are other options, such as booting into safe mode and using the recovery system, turning on and sharing your minidump error logs, and more. But let's save that for 'only if you need it'.

I had similar problems with a different error code recently, and turning off fast boot helped.
word count: 303
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » January 12th, 2019, 4:27 pm

Dark sir, is it you who recently joined the Discord? Be sure and bother staff there about getting your tags. =)
word count: 20

Imagine Wagons
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823

Post by Imagine Wagons » January 16th, 2019, 10:40 pm

Neo beat me to it. I had the same issue before, my motherboard comes with a default fast boot up and it was conflicting with Windows 10 fast boot up and kept throwing up this error. Always check to see if you need to update and let us know if this is working. I was looking through out the past several weeks on what would be causing this issue.
word count: 69