Greetings!

New to CC? Introduce yourself so we can get to know you!
NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Nils Sargon
Origin Profile: Nils Sargon
UPlay Player: Nils Sargon
Battle.net Profile: Nils Sargon

Greetings!

Post by NilsSargon » August 27th, 2018, 7:07 pm

Greetings to you all!

My name is Derek, known online as Nils Sargon (and I was using that gamer tag long before the Youtuber Sargon of Akkad started using it).

I grew up in a christian home, and made an empty profession of faith as a child. I was your typical "good christian kid," even went to bible college for four years and came out of it all just as empty and lost as I went in. It wasn't until just about 6 years ago that I finally admitted to myself and everyone around me that I was in need of salvation and broke down and cried out to Christ forgiveness and begged him to save me. And I thank God that he did!

He has also blessed me greatly in life, I have an amazing wife who at least understands that gaming is how I blow off steam and relax, even if she doesn't always agree with it. Three beautiful kids that are all 4 and under, but already working on forging them into the next generation of gamers (and christians).

I currently work as a business systems analyst/configuration analyst/systems tester/developer/whatever-else-my-boss-needs-that-week for a health insurance company, but I have done a little bit of everything in the past, from working security at the maximum security state mental health institute, to landscaping, masonry, construction, and warehouse inventory and delivery's. I also run my own blog, tellingepicstories.com in my "free" time, and am hoping/praying that someday I will be able to make that, or another endeavor a full time position so that I can work independently.

Gaming wise, I have been a PC gamer since I first watched my dad build his own PC when I was about 8 years old and was playing Oregon Trail and minesweeper. Since then I have graduated to building my own PC and playing a little bit of every genre, mostly focusing on strategy games like Total War, survival games like ARK interspersed with some shooters here and there like Ghost Recon, Overwatch or Destiny.

Contrary to what you might believe after reading that wall of text, I am an extreme introvert, so it may take me awhile to get fully comfortable in this crew so please don't be offended if I don't jump in with both feet right away, I am truly excited to find a group of fellow Christians and gamers to hang out with!

Thanks for letting me join and taking the time to read this lengthy intro!
word count: 433
"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Greetings!

Post by NeoJabez » August 27th, 2018, 9:06 pm

Ack!

Pay no attention to that deleted post. (I'm an idiot.)

Nice to meet you, Nils! Where did you get your nickname?

I hope you pull up a chair and stick around a while! There's lots to do and see around here! Feel free to check everything you can on the site and check out all of our content. :)
word count: 61
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member

Post by NilsSargon » August 27th, 2018, 10:05 pm

Haha no worries, saw that first post and was thinking that it was a bit odd to be laying it all right out there in the open like that 😀

Nice to meet you as well, thanks again for the assistance earlier!

As far as my nickname goes, I came up with it back when I first started playing games online and realized that I needed something that would be unique enough that I could use it in any game without worrying about it being used already. Nils is my middle name, which I have always thought was rather unique and exotic, and since I was the perfect child it hardly ever got used lol. Sargon I added to it because I was both a huge fan of the Rock in the movie Scorpion King, and a bit of a history buff, so I researched who the akkadians really were, and took the name of their most famous king, Sargon. Putting the two names together, they sounded good to me, was definitely a unique combination, but also seemed to be a fairly universal type of name that would work well in any game.

How about you? How did you come up with your online handle? I am always interested to hear how others picked out their own unique names.
word count: 218
"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » August 27th, 2018, 10:28 pm

Well, needless to say, I've had many online monikers, having been a computer guy for as long as I have, but NeoJabez is an interesting one.

Basically...I hope you've read the story of Jabez in 1 Chronicles?

1 Chronicles 4:10 - Jabez called upon the God of Israel, saying, “Oh that you would bless me and enlarge my border, and that your hand might be with me, and that you would keep me from harm so that it might not bring me pain!” And God granted what he asked.

I like the simplicity of it. God granted him what he asked. Well, "Neo" is from the Greek "neos" which means "young" or "new" or "recent".

So, I'm the New Jabez.

Plus, I'm a fan of the Keanu Reeves character from the Matrix movies.

In fact, many years ago, a leader here drew and inked in a drawing he thought symbolized me by name:

So, I try to be Biblical, but I also know Kung-Fu. lol

ENOUGH ABOUT ME! Welcome again! heh
word count: 177
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » August 28th, 2018, 5:29 am

Welcome Nils. I hope you enjoy your stay here. I know that three preschoolers can keep a person quite busy.
word count: 20

NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member

Post by NilsSargon » August 28th, 2018, 11:15 am

Hey Grizz, thanks for the welcome!

Three little ones certainly do keep me busy... Seems most of my gaming sessions lately are played one handed because I am either holding a sleeping baby or one (or both) of the older ones that wants to watch dad play :biggrin:

So since a common theme of this thread so far seems to be discussing the origins of our usernames, what is the story behind yours? Judging by your profile pic I am guessing that Grizz is short for grizzly bear :wink:
word count: 87

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » August 29th, 2018, 5:54 am

I started gaming back in the ye olden NES and Atari days and I needed a name that could be spelled with three letters. So I started using GRZ as a handle. Eventually games started allowing five letter names so I upped it to Grizz. Then when the internet became a thing for me I needed to make my name more distinctive, so I took the last name of the main character from Ogre Battle 64. To me that name combination showed what I saw myself as, and what I hoped to one day be. Grizz being associated with an animal with a bad temper and with the word grisly which means causing horror or disgust. While Gallant means to be brave, something I wanted very much to be. Looking back God has done alot for me since then. I praise the Lord for how much I am not the person who made that handle any more. And I know He will keep working on the parts of me that remain broken. Anyway that is the story of my handle.
word count: 180