Wallpaper Engine

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Wallpaper Engine

Postby NeoJabez » March 18th, 2017, 11:04 pm

I've written a review, and highly suggest, (for those who have computers meeting the minimum requirements) Steam's most popular app for this week:

Wallpaper Engine!

System Requirements:
Spoiler! :
Minimum:
Processor: 1.66 GHz Intel i5 or equivalent
Memory: 1024 MB RAM
Graphics: HD Graphics 4000 or above
DirectX: Version 10
Storage: 512 MB available space
Additional Notes: Windows N versions require the 'Media Feature Pack' from Microsoft. Aero must be enabled on Windows 7. High contrast mode is not supported. Max video res. Windows 8, 10: 4K, Windows 7: 1080p

Recommended:
Processor: 2.0 GHz Intel i7 or equivalent
Memory: 2048 MB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660, AMD HD7870, 2 GB VRAM or above
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 1024 MB available space

This small program, which right now is still being called "Early Access", is only $3.99, and is the latest in a long line of Windows Desktop enhancements that have been around for years.

Stardock's Object Desktop, the open source RainMeter, and the invention of 'dreamscenes' in the Windows Vista days, (still supported through Stardock's "Deskscapes 8", are all great, but now there's a new giant on the block...

Wallpaper Engine not only allows video to be used on the desktop, but also GIFs, WEBMs, javascripts, small interactive 'games' written on the Unity Engine, and pretty much anything you can create using HTML5.

This means that wallpapers can be interactive, respond to audio, and visualize it, or even stream large amounts of data on to your desktop. (Do a search in Wallpaper Engine's workshop for "Norse" to see what I mean. (Norse is a real-time cybersecurity tracker that tracks global hacking attempts in real-time.)

You can even set a website as your desktop. I put https://ccgaming.com into the app and I kid you not, the website was my desktop, but was still fully operational...My mouse caused the cool 'parallax' effect of our homepage to do the same as my desktop, how cool is that?!? (And I was still able to check the Teamspeak viewer and everything!)

Besides my review, and further, this post, I have also decided that anyone who wants to suggest cool, community or user specific ideas for this app, I will do my utmost to produce them! So, in other words, if you want a cool custom desktop, and have bought and use this software, I will try and help set you up!

An example of what I can produce would be some logo-like stuff I had in our RL Tournament stream this weekend:

For ACE:

Cptn Merika:

And Ffootballl:

Wouldn't you love something like this as YOUR desktop?

Also, the app comes with 12 'achievements', which include uploading your own stuff to the workshop. If you own this software and I make you something, it doesn't have to be shared on the workshop, I can simply send you the relevant files, but...I wouldn't mind learning how to make a reactive CC Seal, for example, that you can turn in 3D with your mouse...Just thinking out loud.

This is another great way to get CCG out on the web, and particularly on Steam, so anyone that wants to help create this sort of stuff, step up! I'd be glad to have some neat ideas!
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

SwitchbackXP
Steam Profile: hunter_edwards619
Battle.net Profile: legolas2340

Re: Wallpaper Engine

Postby SwitchbackXP » March 18th, 2017, 11:14 pm

Those are SIIIICK! I'm definitely going to have to check that out!
"Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
--Matthew 11:28-30 [ESV]
--God Bless You All! :)

Hektonamus
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Hektonamus
Origin Profile: Hektonamus
UPlay Player: Bluey616
Battle.net Profile: Hektonamus#1179
Formerly Known As: KawaiiCrab

Postby Hektonamus » March 19th, 2017, 7:09 pm

I have Wallpaper Engine and I can say, it is amazing.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » March 19th, 2017, 8:11 pm

Check this out:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =857093804

Or more importantly, this one: (It needs upvotes to be approved for monetization, which will make the author money! ((AND THE AUTHOR IS OUR OWN MICHAEL FEDORA!))

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... =884402402

I absolutely love the idea of having the playlist built in!

Jman
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Jman

Postby Jman » March 29th, 2017, 9:23 am

Neo, Did you make the ACE, Cptn Merika, and the Ffootball ones. Cause they look fantastic and I would love to have one of my own.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » March 29th, 2017, 12:29 pm

I put those three together for that Rocket League Tourney, yeah...If you watch the stream back, I had others, too.

I will see what I can come up with, J!

Jman
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Jman

Postby Jman » March 29th, 2017, 1:12 pm

Sweet Thanks!

Return to “Arts & Graphics General Discussion”