Art software people use

Domtron Vox

Art software people use

Post by Domtron Vox » November 28th, 2016, 8:44 am

Just curious what software people use.

I am by no means an artist, but I dabble in the digital arts. I made my poor excuse for an avatar in Inkscape mostly just to try out vector art, it's a comma cat. :P I use Gimp fairly regularly to touch up screenshots for school and used it for pixel art for a few games I tried to make. Finally, I use Blender on and off trying to make 3D models.

I also do some stuff in CAD software for school though that isn't exactly art. I recently found a FOSS CAD program called Solvespace that looks nice and polished, but I haven't had a chance to really try it out because of school.

So I use all FOSS programs, mostly because I stay on linux most of the time. How about you guys? What programs do you like to use? :)
word count: 151

DragonStar Gaming
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DragonStarGaming

Re: Art software people use

Post by DragonStar Gaming » November 28th, 2016, 11:38 am

I use Adobe software (illustrator and Photoshop) but only because my school provides it to me. :D

If you're ever going to be serious about graphic designing, paying for Adobe products is the way to go. Otherwise the programs you're using are good substitutes.
word count: 45

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: MikeFed
Origin Profile: MichaelFedorai
UPlay Player: MichaelFedora
Battle.net Profile: MikeFed#1151

Post by Michael Fedora » November 28th, 2016, 11:59 am

I half disagree about Adobe; FOSS software is still really good, though only if you're a freelancer or your studio is extra special ;P Adobe is standard in the graphic industry though, yes.

I use Gimp for just about anything pixel related. Textures, gifs, photo-manipulation, etc.
Inkscape for vectors obviously :P And for things like labels or logos and other scale-able graphics.
Blender for 3D, sculpting, rigging, animating, rendering, vfx, and compositing.
Krita for some texture work, dunno if I like it enough or not :thinking:
Mypaint for general sketching with a tablet.

My profile pic, for example, was textured in Gimp and modeled/rigged/rendered/composited in Blender. ^_^

Finding a good FOSS CAD software has been interesting... I've used AutoCAD before but haven't found anything quite similar. Thanks for the tip off for that one!
word count: 140
[quote="Arca Jeth (SW Legends)"]"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light."[/quote]
On the Kingdom

"I didn't even know we had an army!" ~ Hunter, UK

Domtron Vox

Post by Domtron Vox » November 28th, 2016, 1:37 pm

Michael Fedora wrote:Finding a good FOSS CAD software has been interesting... I've used AutoCAD before but haven't found anything quite similar. Thanks for the tip off for that one!

Ya... apparently FreeCAD doesn't even have functional assemblies, but Solvespace's supposedly works well. However, solvespace could use some work in the export area as it only supports AutoCAD files. My school uses SolidWorks mostly...

DragonStar Gaming wrote:I use Adobe software (illustrator and Photoshop) but only because my school provides it to me. :D

School provided software is always nice! :P All my windows VMs for testing stuff comes from free school provided benefits.
word count: 106

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » November 28th, 2016, 4:05 pm

Oh, I'm hoping you guys are impressed with some news I'm posting in a little bit! (It's art and CC related, stay tuned!
word count: 26
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria