Christian Crew TeamSpeak Theme

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Christian Crew TeamSpeak Theme

Post by NeoJabez » July 22nd, 2017, 7:30 pm

So, DynamiteTiger was in the meeting tonight and mentioned that he used a nice dark theme for his TS, instead of the default many people use.

He sent the link to the one he currently uses, which is now replaced with our old TS2 CC Theme: https://ccgaming.com/downloads/CCgaming ... me_1.1.zip

So...I like the theme, but it obviously has some very specific graphics and things for the people who made it. Plus, it might be TOO dark in certain places.

The purpose of this thread is for people to come together and help me decide on our own color palette and graphics choices for our own theme.

CC used to have it's own back in the TS2 days, but those files are not valid anymore, I don't think. Either way, it's high time we had something new. Interested?

First...

We have control over many things. The QSS file, which is readable in NotePad, contains code very similar to CSS code, so we have control over colors, margins, padding, many of the same types of things that CSS contains.

Also, we can superimpose graphics over the chat window, or other windows, use custom arrows and more.

My next post will give some graphical and coding examples, so that you can follow along, and help develop the theme! I hope you'll take part and help us design something that will cohesively match our current branding well, and look great. Not to mention, easy on the eyes.
word count: 253
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Christian Crew TeamSpeak Theme

Post by NeoJabez » July 22nd, 2017, 7:35 pm

Okay, QSS code is basically "Qt Style Sheets", a near equivalent to CSS or "cascading style sheets" which some people know from website design.

QSS files for TS generally contain declarations of margins, padding, colors and exactly WHERE these items belong.

So, for example, a piece of the QSS from the above download concerned with the "info frame" of our TS theme might look like this:

Code: Select all

InfoFrame {
	background-color: transparent;
	border: 0px solid transparent;
	color: #FFFFFF;
	padding-top: 2px;
	padding-bottom: 2px;
	padding-left: 10px;	
	padding-right: 2px;
}
In our case, for example, we might not want color: #FFFFFF, as this is total white, maybe we'd rather use another color, perhaps more grey, or even a highlight color such as neon green or orange. (Just thinking out loud.)

The point is...Anyone that has any grasp of CSS, colors or color palettes, you are more than welcome to help us design our colors. We'll have separate posts for graphics and such.
word count: 165

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » July 22nd, 2017, 7:46 pm

So, graphically speaking, the above downloadable theme, (which we'll call our 'base' theme since we'll learn from it), basically includes a few graphics. Some of them are images related to the theme or the makers itself...We would place "CCG" graphics in these image spots. Some of them are actual "tree view" graphics which effect how the channels and separators look on our left control pane in TS.

Like so...

These are the tree view graphics with arrows pointing to their actual usage in the theme, live:

An example of 'images' (where we'd use CCG custom graphics), would be like so:

I'm more than happy to come up with something good for the "OFFICIAL" CC TS theme...But I can tell you that everyone won't be happy with the result...There's always someone who doesn't like at least one detail.

If we work together to work on these details, there's no guarantee we'll please everyone then, either, but there's more chance everyone will get their say, and be able to share their thoughts and ideas.

So, anyone interested?
word count: 188

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » July 23rd, 2017, 6:49 am

This is not something I know anything about. But I am excited for the outcome. I did not know this was something I wanted till now. But I definitely do.
word count: 30

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » July 23rd, 2017, 2:20 pm

I think I still use the CC theme. I'll look when I get home.
word count: 15

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » July 23rd, 2017, 2:40 pm

Thanks Josh!
I found the old theme you're talking about, and it's a MUCH better blank for us to use as our BASE, so....

Anyone that wants to use the old CC 1.1 Teamspeak theme, (while we develop our newer one), please download: https://ccgaming.com/downloads/CCgaming ... me_1.1.zip

You'd basically take the styles folder from that zip and merge it with your styles folder in

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files\TeamSpeak 3 Client\
The included instructions refer to a "Plastique" style, this is from TS2, pay no attention to that line.

Anyway...The QSS file in this theme is pretty long, and not very well 'commented'...so, if we do change things, or update it, I want to add comments into the file for those in the future that might want a little instruction. Either way, this particular theme/style does NOT include any graphics, so we're free to do some tree view graphics, and some CCG specific images, as noted in an above post.

What would YOU like to see in a dark CCG theme?

The same colors and feel as our forums? Something else? Would you like very subtle branding graphics tucked away in corners, or atmospheric, magical backgrounds that have startling effects?

Examples:

Very stylized Battlefield 3 TS Theme: Image

More Subtle, Clan-Specific Theme:

I'm relatively certain most of our users would prefer a more subtle, design-oriented approach to this, rather than a gaudy, game-specific type of feel. But I would love your opinions!

This would also be where people would chime in with ideas on color palettes, such as...let's say we stick with this dark theme...Do we want all the window borders in brighter colors? Maybe we want all of the chat and explanatory text in the chat window to be in 'coding colors', like you see in codepen?

Like so?

Just let me know your thoughts, on even the smaller of the details, and we'll try it out.

In the meantime, I'll keep track of our downloads as we progress, and try and make sure the latest one is always on offer in this thread, if not on the downloads page of the Resources section of our website.

This is like ANY of my community projects...If there is zero participation or very little interest, it will not happen. If people participate and help make choices, this project will end up looking quite cool! Up to you!
word count: 419

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » July 27th, 2017, 2:27 am

So, no opinions then?

Perhaps someone might want to play around with color palette ideas?

http://paletton.com
word count: 18

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Post by DynamiteTiger » July 27th, 2017, 1:27 pm

In the theme I use the biggest issue is that links appear blue and are hard to decipher in front of a dark gray background. I don't know the code, but wonder are you able to change the colour of links that appear in the chat box? If not it would be best to at least keep the chat box a lighter colour.
word count: 64

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Post by DynamiteTiger » July 27th, 2017, 1:41 pm

NeoJabez wrote:So, no opinions then?

Perhaps someone might want to play around with color palette ideas?

http://paletton.com
Wow that is a very cool and useful program! I'll def be bookmarking that for myself. Here's a palette that could work: http://paletton.com/#uid=75C1i0kpWdDxGv3rglgnT8ImW3X
word count: 49

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » July 27th, 2017, 1:47 pm

I'm doing a sort of 'process of elimination' search for that line, Tiger.

What I mean is...there *should* be a declaration in the theme specific QSS file, but I noticed that some theme QSS files say, "loaded in addition to default.qss." or something similar...So, I'm pretty sure that link color is defined by TeamSpeak's own default settings first. Once I change it there, it may STILL be declared in the theme QSS files, I have to run through each of them and find it. It's a little laborious.

This is why I said that if NO ONE cares or is involved in this, it will die a swift death. I have lots of other projects I can work on, I'm not going to spend time on something that seemingly no one really cares about. heh

If this is something that only 3 people want, that's not really what I call 'a demand'.
word count: 161