BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Discuss things related to, or events for Counter Strike: Source.
AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Post by AttolloDeus » March 11th, 2012, 4:28 pm

DISCUSS THE RECENT CHANGES TO THE BIG SERVER HERE! ONLY 2 RULES:

1) Read the post below so you actually understand what changed and why. I will update this thread if there are relevant comments to add.

2) Do not make personal attacks, do not point the finger at individuals, and do not jump to conclusions. We reserve the right to edit your posts and notify you via PM. It is more important to keep things civil than to give everybody multiple warnings. Please, be patient.

----------------------

This is the thread to discuss future changes to BIG. We already have a a 14 page thread discussing the previous couple weeks of BIG changes. That went back and forth and had some attitudes that detracted from the whole point of the changes, so now we're trying again with a bit more structure and leadership involvement.

As you can see in yesterday's meeting minutes we (the people at the meeting) decided that we would actually give a fair trial period to the BIG server changes.

WHAT CHANGED!?

1) As per the meeting minutes we decided to remove several of the most popular maps. Dust2, Office, Westwood, and Office_extended was removed as well since it was deemed quite similar to office.

2) We also bumped RTV required vote count to 66% (two thirds) of the server.

NOTE: These changes WILL STAND until the next council meeting where we will evaluate the feedback in this thread.

WHY CHANGE BIG!?

We want to be more ministry oriented. How? By actually having our own community participate in the servers.

Right now the most popular comments about BIG are that nobody really plays there any more, and the "old crowd" they used to play with is the only thing that would draw them back in. The first thing to change is to figure out how to get our own community to participate.

THIS IS AN EXPERIMENT TO TRY AND BRING OUR OWN COMMUNITY TO THE SERVER!

We don't want to kill our server, but it's more important to have a server that fulfills what we stand for as a community than to have a full server all the time.

HOW CAN I HELP!?

As a registered user on these forums, we want your opinions. Realize, your opinions are NOT more valuable than any others, so we are trying to get AS MUCH FEEDBACK AS POSSIBLE! Be fair in your assumptions, don't jump to conclusions, and make sure you don't overlook the actual point of this thread:

How can we be more ministry oriented in the BIG fish? Do these changes help or hinder that?
word count: 443

Ladyhawke
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:16754293

Re: BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Post by Ladyhawke » March 11th, 2012, 5:16 pm

Thank you AD for making this new post for the Big server.

I would like to ask how people feel about adding "dead talk" to the Big server. This plug-in would allow everyone who is dead to talk to all dead people in the server....both CT and T. Anyone who is still alive could only talk to other alive teammates.
word count: 62
Love isn't what you say. Love is what you do.

DOrangeMango
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: brightorangemango

Post by DOrangeMango » March 11th, 2012, 7:35 pm

Ladyhawke wrote:I would like to ask how people feel about adding "dead talk" to the Big server. This plug-in would allow everyone who is dead to talk to all dead people in the server....both CT and T. Anyone who is still alive could only talk to other alive teammates.

As an anti-ghosting measure?
word count: 57
sig © BriGuy92 :)
I <3 BACON! :D

SARGE
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: sgtsarge

Post by SARGE » March 11th, 2012, 8:27 pm

With normal Alltalk OFF there are 4 "talk groups", CT, T, Dead Ts, and Dead CTs. Dead all talk makes it so that Dead CTs and Dead Ts can hear eachother. Not really an anti-ghosting measure. More of a social measure allowing for some voice based conversation across teams and a way to alleviate the time spent dead for some people.
word count: 62

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » March 11th, 2012, 9:03 pm

I'd prefer that...What ministry time we could be wasting NOT being able to talk while dead! (In my case, quite a lot!)

I think that's a fine idea, personally.
word count: 32
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Wolfeman

Post by Wolfeman » March 11th, 2012, 9:27 pm

I don't use mic. For personal and hardware reasons. So this doesn't effect me. However, I see a lot of ghosting in the server when I play. I've always played "Dead men don't talk" so it was a bit unsettling at first to see it so much a part of play in the server. But it does make the round go faster when everyone is telling their teammate where the last living person on the other team is so he can be flashbanged and killed quicker.

If we took away ghosting, it would open up a window of time for other conversations to be had. However, some people use the keyboard way more than the mic and visa versa. A way to keep dead keyboard players from talking to the living would also be helpful.

It would also be worth it for people to be more helpful in the server to those with lower scores. I once asked how I could pick up other weapons and was answered with Alt+F4. CS:S is a dying game with a shrinking player base. Any chance to bring in new or inexperienced players should be grasped with both hands and used to it's fullest. Even shutting down a server one day a week for CS:S classes (and ministry opportunities) would be something to consider.
word count: 228

Ladyhawke
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:16754293

Post by Ladyhawke » March 11th, 2012, 9:40 pm

Wolfeman, at least in the Big server, players that are still alive can not hear the dead players, so there is no ghosting that way. People who ghost in Big are using Vent or TeamSpeak and they hardly ever use the in-game Counter Strike mic chat. In other words, most ghosters never talk in-game.

If you ever play in the SAVED servers, they have all-talk on all the time. To me, any server with more than 12 people playing in it, to have all-talk on is very "messy".
word count: 92
Love isn't what you say. Love is what you do.

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » March 11th, 2012, 10:03 pm

@Lady: Depends on who is talking, but I definitely know what you mean by "messy".

Any comments about the actual map-related changes yet? Can we get a server advert telling in-game people to come over to this thread?
word count: 40

Dreadnaut
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Dreadnaut » March 12th, 2012, 6:29 am

I get as tired as the next guy at how often Office and Westwood in particular got played (although I honestly never really get tired of dust 2). However, even I don't personally think the maps should be taken off the server completely. Perhaps a good solution would be that the crazy popular maps (westwood, office and dust 2) are simply not options in the RTV list? That way, people cannot just RTV off of a lesser played map to one of those 3 all the time. I'm not even sure if something like that is possible, to only have certain maps be able to be brought up through nominate for RTV, but if it is then it might be worth considering.
As far as bringing people back in, we'll just have to wait and see. For myself, I still play CSS pretty regularly on the weekends, just not much during the week. (That's reserved for BF3! lol) Also, once CS:GO comes out, I am sure I will be playing CS again much more frequently.
word count: 180

Jibber
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: kyriake

Post by Jibber » March 12th, 2012, 12:03 pm

the biggest problem i can see, is people dont like change, i know you did this to try and help the server become a more user friendly environment but instead its usually dead. people like the good old maps, so im suggesting put them back in the rotation but take rtv off.

with putting say dust2,cpl_mill, cs office make sure there well mixed up in the rotation, also let them know on the motd that the server is changing to become a more user friendly environment.

the big server is our main focus in minsitry for css, the radical changes have left it dead, this needs to change otherwise the servers will all die. cc members wont play in the servers with maps they dont like therefore it ends up like a normal public server and we dont want that
word count: 142