BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Discuss things related to, or events for Counter Strike: Source.
Ladyhawke
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:16754293

Re: BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Post by Ladyhawke » March 12th, 2012, 12:22 pm

I joined a full Big server last night with 24 people playing. That's not "dead".

And Saturday night I joined Big to see 8 CC tagged members playing.
word count: 29
Love isn't what you say. Love is what you do.

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » March 12th, 2012, 2:10 pm

Plus, if we kill BIG CS:S, (which I don't see happening so far), we'll soon have CS:GO to start the ball rolling again, right?
word count: 28
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Nacho Cheese
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: NachoCheese

Post by Nacho Cheese » March 12th, 2012, 2:22 pm

I keep hearing people say that "people don't like the changes to the BIG server." And yet...we had a full meeting of 20+ people, none of whom opposed the changes, several of whom supported them explicitly.

It's not enough to make blanket statements like "people love the changes" or "people hate the changes"* - we'll have to see what happens over the long term. Maybe we'll lose some traffic to the servers. Maybe in the long run (of this 2 week experiment) we'll see increased traffic. This will take observation (hint: we can observe the changes by actually playing in our servers! I am number 1 most guilty of this, and will try to do a better job of being present).

Of the traffic that we lose, I wonder how many will be of the super competitive "pubstar" type - the type that might quit as soon as we try to provide anything more than a low-latency gaming server for him ("i didn't come here for the environment, i came here for the free kills").

--------------------------------------------------------------

The bottom line is, we can't know if the changes are good or not unless we make them and watch what happens. When changes were made earlier, they were revoked within days - NOT enough time to run an experiment!

Spoiler! :
And this is an experiment, so wear your safety goggles:

We're giving it 2 weeks to observe the effects of these changes on the server. At the end of those two weeks, we'll collect all the feedback we receive here and at the meeting, and determine how to proceed. We could leave them in place, we could revert them, we could make other changes.

* - that said, we'd LOVE to hear feedback like "I don't like the changes because XYZ." Be honest!
word count: 307

venom

Post by venom » March 12th, 2012, 4:17 pm

Ironicly I return to changes when I come back, which I have no real problem with, but it is a often mentioned topic from non forum readers of the changes, and their like / dislike so it is apparent to most.

I don't personally think its the best way to bring people back perse, however this previous Friday we had a good crowd of alot of the older people I remember playing with a while back, and we were talking about it in chat about possibly making it a weekly thing, get a bunch of people / admins / members and go in and goof off.

Maybe try setting more scheduled things like the weekly tf2 thing, if its still around (Maybe been gone a while).

Not sure what all still goes on around, but would love to see people still play in the servers, until CS:GO which well, should be all interesting of course.
word count: 154
Christian first, Gamer second.
"He who moves not forward, moves backward."

Ladyhawke

Post by Ladyhawke » March 12th, 2012, 4:30 pm

Update......3:30pm 5 CC tags and 18 ppl in Big. :P
word count: 11

Ladyhawke

Post by Ladyhawke » March 12th, 2012, 7:01 pm

Just a note...I had a regular ask me about the changes to the Big server last night. I sent him a link to the forums. He was most kind in saying he understood what we were trying to do with the changes.

Is it possible to list a link to the Big forum in the in-chat of Big?
word count: 60

Mouse
ACC Member
ACC Member

Post by Mouse » March 12th, 2012, 7:09 pm

Alltalk makes the server friendlier.
It also makes it easier for admins to back each other up.
It also sends the message, as soon as people join, that the goal of the server isn't hardcore competition.
word count: 37

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » March 12th, 2012, 8:23 pm

Sorry, didn't see AD place the link. xD

Any news, on how these changes are being taken?
word count: 17

Goatman

Post by Goatman » March 12th, 2012, 11:56 pm

I like dreadnaut's idea about non-RTV, but still in the rotation. Is there a plug-in that can control how often each map appears as an option? That could help this too.

I also like dead-talk. As far as live alltalk goes, I say we make it official policy to have admins run a vote for it every so often.

[ Post made via Android ] Image
word count: 67
"Reason and faith go together. Reason is itself is a matter of faith. It is an act of faith to assert that our thoughts have any relation to reality at all."
-GK Chesterton

Ladyhawke

Post by Ladyhawke » March 12th, 2012, 11:59 pm

Full Big server tonight.....people acting fine with the changes....one guy came into the server and said "WOW...an old fashioned CS server with stock maps...I like it."
word count: 30