BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Discuss things related to, or events for Counter Strike: Source.
Ladyhawke
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:16754293

Re: BIG Fish Changes: Discussion Thread

Post by Ladyhawke » March 15th, 2012, 3:02 pm

I have been watching the map changes in Big.....these maps tend to kill the server when they come up. I was wondering if we could remove them? Your thoughts on this?

cs_assault
cs_miami
de_dusttech
de_eminence
de_forest ---wow, my favorite map, imagine me asking for it to be taken off
de_ipadu
de_meatfactory
de_nanotech -----got to get this one off the rotation----yuck
de_paradigm
de_tides

Any comments?
word count: 66
Love isn't what you say. Love is what you do.

SARGE
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: sgtsarge

Post by SARGE » March 15th, 2012, 3:24 pm

I have wanted to get assault taken off for a while, I've never been on assault for more than a minute before it gets RTVed ( when it was on). I already took off assault_2005 or something since it was the exact same map with older visuals. This was something I wanted to do awhile ago, keep the good maps and hunt out and remove ones that kill the server or get RTVed in under 5 mins of play. I just didn't know what maps other than assault were like that.
word count: 93

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » March 15th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Do we have an in-game announcement for this thread / the changes? We need some more feedback from people who actually play on the BIG server.
word count: 26

Paully
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: N1tr0us
Origin Profile: Nitrous1984
UPlay Player: Nitrous217
Battle.net Profile: LeoKinz

Post by Paully » March 15th, 2012, 7:18 pm

AttolloDeus wrote:Do we have an in-game announcement for this thread / the changes? We need some more feedback from people who actually play on the BIG server.

I've heard in game talk where some ppl didn't even know bout the changes. Was a surprise to em. Only by word of mouth ppl found out! If there are in-game announcements i haven't heard of any.
word count: 69

Dreadnaut
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Dreadnaut » March 15th, 2012, 9:30 pm

I have been playing in Big quite a lot lately. Every evening this week I've been on for 30 minutes or so, and I've seen the server with plenty of people each night. The change seems to be going well so far, although I still think having the popular maps in the rotation just without the possibility of nominating them to come up would be absolutely perfect.
As far as all talk goes, I have to admit that I am 100% against it. I understand your point Mouse, but I think there are other ways to show that the server is about having fun without completely gutting any chance for teamwork and strategy, which is what all talk does, in my opinion. Also, if we allow all-talk I think there is a MUCH higher probability of people trash talking each other, and we have enough to admin already...
Finally, I don't know about getting rid of ALL the maps Ladyhawke mentioned...we wouldn't be left with very many. Although I do agree that nanotech should go (it's huge) and forest should go (it's confusing), and assault should go (it's laughably imbalanced). The others seem ok to me, and some (like meatfactory) are actually quite good I think.
word count: 215

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » March 15th, 2012, 10:10 pm

@Dreadnaut: Your arguments against alltalk seem to be that it would cause trash talking and it would prevent teamwork/strategy. What about dead alltalk as Lady suggested? Doesn't effect teamwork (you're dead and it's only to dead people) and if you're dead then it's really not hard to admin. Easier than when you're alive :)

We have full alltalk on the TF2 servers until 12 players are in the server and it makes the environment much more enjoyable (and cuts out before it gets too noisy). Of course, this doesn't affect main gameplay...
word count: 99

Dreadnaut
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Dreadnaut » March 16th, 2012, 11:12 am

I have no problem with dead all-talk. Sounds good to me.
word count: 12

Ladyhawke
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:16754293

Post by Ladyhawke » March 16th, 2012, 11:43 am

One thing I have been trying is, if there are less than 10 players in Big, I put up an All-Talk vote....it passes 90% of the time and the server is more fun. If more people join the server, I just keep the All-Talk on, tell the players it will go off with the next map change. This seems to work and people like it.
word count: 68
Love isn't what you say. Love is what you do.

SoulWinner
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:22756490

Post by SoulWinner » March 16th, 2012, 3:26 pm

Hey all......
Phew been out for a while studying for a promotion test and digging deeper in the Bible...
I am semi-back now and i too came back to the changes.....

Here I go!!!!!

Spoiler! :
I LOVE IT!!!!

I know I have been gone for a while and my 'op' may not matter but I will put my 2 cents in anyways.
I Do not like the fact of Dust2, Office, and WW being removed from the rotation. With the nomination feature out of the equation i dont see them being over played. Last night I watched the mapvote for several maps and I only seen 2 maps come up 2 times in a row. I agree with lady about the maps she listed that needed to be removed. Maybe though keep forest, eminence, and meatfactory

Alltalk, Deadtalk etc. I personally think that Alltalk should be on all the time. Like others say the environment is definately more relaxed and less competitive so to speak. With this...giving more non-believers a friendly environment to come and making them feel relaxed possibly enough to ask questions about God and Christianity. Which is why this community exist! (at least i still hope so) But if alltalk on all the time isnt an option, I beleive there was a plugin we used in Big2, which was alltalk until the server hit 10 'Souls' then the server automatically switched AT off.

Can someone list the current maps in rotation?

That is all i think of atm. I will put my more 2cents in as I deem necessary :D
word count: 264

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » March 16th, 2012, 6:14 pm

SoulWinner! So glad to see you posting. :) Haven't talked to you in forever, hopefully I see ya online later!
word count: 20