YOU can help your game division!

News and announcements from The Christian Crew
NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

YOU can help your game division!

Postby NeoJabez » October 6th, 2017, 1:01 am

It was recently pointed out that our Division Pages really only contained:

A description of the game (With a link to buy the game, and a link to the game's forum section)
    A listing of the servers (if any)
    The Division Leaders' 'card'
    Game Night and Division Info
    Last 4 Forums Posts

Just wanted you all to know that there have been some php coding changes, which have added to our Division Pages.

There's now a "More Content" section for each Division Page. We can put anything you like in here...Including videos. On the PUBG page, for example, we don't just have an embedded Youtube video, we actually have MJCaboose's recent videos as well.

At the moment, Ark, Overwatch, Rocket League, and PUBG all have video content, but this is NOT all we are limited to putting in this section. I've included a link to the PUBG Tactical Manual on the PUBG page. And DT's "How To Paint An Image In Ark" forum post is linked on the Ark page.

If you have something you think should be added, linked to, mentioned, or showcased on a particular game's division page, just let us know, and we'll vet the content with our leaders and Division Leaders and YOUR content could make it up on these pages!

Ask yourself...if you were not a CC person, just a guest, and you happened on a Google search for Christian "Rocket League", as an example, and the first thing you saw was the Rocket League Division page...what impact would you most want it to have?

A little technical info for those so inclined:

Spoiler! :
I have tested or can likely include:

Media: including videos, mp3 audio, images, etc.
Links: to outside resources which will open in a new tab, or if you have enough links; I can do a nicely laid-out mini-version of the Link Library you see in our Resources Section, specific to your Division, of course.
Timelines: Very much like the one used in the "Memorial Timeline" found in the Resources Section, specific to your Division.
Responsive Accordion Content: Responsive Accordions are the collapsible systems used in the Link Library, and on our About Page for our "Rules and Guidelines". I'd have to check to make sure if there are restrictions on which content they can show (like forum spoilers), or if they are only for text, I haven't tested this yet.)
FAQs: There is no reason we couldn't have a FAQ or even a mini-WIKI of sorts for Divisions, though I would caution you that this would create a large job for you, as you'd have to come up with the questions and answers I'd publish in there for you.
iFrames: iFrames are basically-

WhatIs.com wrote:An IFrame (Inline Frame) is an HTML document embedded inside another HTML document on a website. The IFrame HTML element is often used to insert content from another source, such as an advertisement, into a Web page. Although an IFrame behaves like an inline image, it can be configured with its own scrollbar independent of the surrounding page's scrollbar.

In other words, we can embed content from other web pages inside division pages. (The pages have to be secure though, meaning the URL starts with 'https:' rather than 'http:').

An example of what I mean? I tested this out by embedding our CCG Calendar into the PUBG Content area...

Because of iFrames we could also technically include on Division Pages:

Calendars specific to Divisions and their game nights/events. Or just the main CC Calendar as seen in the above graphic.
    Forms (think of the submit a prayer, questions, member interviews, or Member Surveys forms.) We could tailor it to a particular division's needs. Our Join Apps and Admin Apps are forms, just for example.
    A "CC Sub-Store" that only carries items or apparel specific to that game division and CC in general.
    And lots of other things that can be placed on a webpage.

What's Your Idea? (It might be possible!)
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: YOU can help your game division!

Postby NeoJabez » October 6th, 2017, 1:08 am

Just to be clear...The Division pages are to help each Division keep up interactivity, popularity, and interest in their games.

We don't have a problem with a nice highlight video of you playing a game, but the More Content section of the Division Pages will not host entire multi-hour stream recordings, or entire external websites, or your personal blog. (Though we COULD have a division specific blog for each division, that would be up to the people who frequent those divisions to decide with their leader.)

These pages are not about any one person, but about the fans and participators in any particular and popular CC game. We want these pages to be a place where a guest, a friend you've been telling about the CC, or just someone who finds us on Google might say..."Wow, there's lots to look at here, there's ENTERTAINMENT here! There's fun things to see and do! This website and it's people ENGAGE ME! I didn't know Christians could have this much fun!"

Let's not make anything in the CC about "I", but instead about "WE".

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Postby DynamiteTiger » October 6th, 2017, 3:03 am

Honestly I had no idea this was part of the site. When I joined months ago I went straight to the forums. I have several ideas that could be included on the Ark division page and a couple that could be included for all.

For all division pages, it might benefit guests if they knew whether or not they can play the game on their PC. At first I thought for the Ark page to include the topic that is linked to PC Gamer's site about what the performance of Ark is like with different graphics cards. viewtopic.php?f=148&t=23473
However, it would be more useful if someone knew how their specific setup performed with the game. With that in mind, maybe we could include a link to System Requirements Lab's "Can I Run It?" page. Here's an example for Ark: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... lved/12631
We could have similar links on all the division pages so guests and members can see if their PCs will run the division game well enough to play.

Something else that might be useful on each division page is a link to game updates. Ffootballl has been posting them in the RL and PUBG forums and I think this would be beneficial for all divisions to do. However as it is currently, these updates just go into the general discussion of the division. Maybe create a sub-forum for game updates and then link that to the division page similarly to the Recent Topics? You could then have a section above Recent Topics labeled "Game Updates" which would show the 4 most recent "game update" posts in the updates subforum for that division. Or could make things easier on DLs and post a link to the official sites for these updates on the division page. I'm not quite sure that would work however cause, I know for Ark as an example, those links can change.

Ark Division Page Suggestions:
Ark description on top needs updating:
Current:
The ultimate survival action game, where man against nature or man against man is the rule. Dinosaurs and natural hazards are everywhere, and the player must gather food, build shelter, and even clothe themselves through crafting natural resources. An early access game that is a proven favorite of CC Members, and is about to go LIVE.

My suggestion:
The ultimate survival action game, where man against nature or man against man is the rule. The player must use their cunning and skill to kill or tame and ride a plethora of dinosaurs and other primeval creatures, while gathering food, building shelters, or clothing themselves through crafting with gathered natural resources, and teaming up with other players to survive. The game was released on August 29th, 2017 after being in 'Early Access' for over two years and is available on Steam, Xbox, and PlayStation 4 with continually new updates in the open-world dinosaur survival game.

Division information: Playing on private servers in Ark can not only be complicated to those who are not great with PCs, but there is also a ton of servers running many many different types of setups. Players are often first looking for specific types of settings or mods to see if they will enjoy playing on these servers or not. Instead of simply a couple links to the server banners, there should be a description about our servers settings and what mods are being used, and what day of the week we play on.

I have a whole bookmark folder of useful Ark links that I use often when playing, cause Ark has so many things to try and remember. Links to things like taming calculators, often used crafting recipes and more. We could have a section labeled Useful Ark Links with several of these listed.
* For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever
will lose his life for My sake shall find it. Matthew 16:25 *

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » October 6th, 2017, 3:43 am

1) THANK YOU! Your enthusiasm for this is obvious, and I'm really happy to see someone throw out some ideas.

2) Already updated the ARK Division page with your description. Obviously, the original description had not been updated in some while, as it stood.

3) Multiple 'themed' bookmarks could be thrown into a link library-driven Responsive Accordion system, just like the main link library in the Resources section. We could break down some of your Ark Resources into special categories, and have descriptions for each link. (Including but not limited to "CanYouRunIt?" sites and similar.) The very first thing you could do to prepare for this is to categorize all those links you have, consolidating them into segments that would be easy to follow for even the blandest internet user, and make sure you have a one or two sentence description for each and every one. Setting up a new library is not totally simple, but it's much easier when all of the 'content' is ready and waiting to be plugged in.

Thanks again for the suggestions, I'm going to hope that we hear from our DLs here on your suggestions. See what they think. Also, I want it to be clear that DLs don't have to do ALL THE WORK of adding these wonderful things to their respective division pages, they just need to sign off on it. I'm going to be available to assist at every step, and I honestly believe that some of our members from each division might use this as an opportunity to volunteer some of their time to making these pages TRUE resources. We'll see.

The approval process for most content shouldn't be too major. The DLs and I will generally approve most everything with any Leaders or Staff who want to speak up, unless it straddles a questionable or controversial line, in which case it will be tossed up to our entire Council for vetting and approval. We'll play it by ear at first, but I really don't expect it to be a big deal as I think most of the content will be entertaining, fun, or just plain useful.

Speaking of fun...Anyone that has thoughts on what our pages could use to make them more fun, speak up! I believe much of the humor and such will come in the form of videos, but the sky's the limit! Share your ideas, please!

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: DynamiteTiger
Origin Profile: DynamiteTiger
UPlay Player: DynamiteTiger

Postby DynamiteTiger » October 11th, 2017, 4:24 am

Info for Ark division page:

Link Library:

How does this game perform on PCs?
Ark has the ability to go from very low resolution graphics to HDR depending on your hardware. Here are a couple links that may help you determine if your PC is capable of running this game.

• Can I run it? - System Requirement Labs has a simple website that allows you to download an app that will scan your computer hardware and tell you exactly how it compares to the recommended hardware for this or any other game. https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/c ... lved/12631
  • PC Gamer's Ark Performance Review - An extensive review of the best graphics cards on the market and how they perform with Ark Survival Evolved. viewtopic.php?f=148&t=23473

Taming Creatures
In Ark Survival Evolved the player can tame over 100 different types of creatures each with their own food preferences and taming methods. These links should help you tame just about anything.

• Wiki on Ark Taming - A general information guide on taming with tranqs and non-violent, how to do it, and many other useful details. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Taming
  • Dododex - This is one of the most comprehensive websites on the creatures in Ark. Other links it provides is a Stat Calculator, Torpor Timer, and extensive charts for comparison. It is also available on mobile via Android, iOS, and Google Home. http://www.dododex.com/dinosaurs
  • Survive Ark Taming Calculator - A thorough calculator for taming that includes information about how many tranqs it will take to down the creature, starve timer, torpor timer, kibble recipes and more all on one page. http://www.survive-ark.com/taming-calculator/
  • Troodon Taming - The troodon in Ark has one of the most unique and difficult taming methods. In order to tame it, you must let it eat some of your tamed creatures. The Ark Wiki page goes into detail about how to do this, and which creatures are most effective. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Troodon
  • Domestication - Most creatures in Ark have special abilities that make them unique in some way. Many make farming easier while others are specialized killing machines. The Ark Wiki page on Domestication goes into detail about which creatures or tools are the best method in harvesting resources. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Domestication

Recipes and Crafting
With hundreds of saddles, dyes, foods, and more to craft in Ark, you have to have a photogenic memory to remember it all. Here are some Official Ark Wiki links you can bookmark so you can find those important recipes in a hurry.

• Kibble - The most effective taming food is kibble made from eggs. Linked are recipes for every creatures preferred kibble. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Kibble
  • Dyes - Almost everything in Ark is paintable including the player, creatures, armor, and building materials. Linked are recipes for every color of dye available in the game. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dye
  • Sweet Vegetable Cake - Veggie cakes are the preferred food for taming Ovis (sheep) and Achatina (snails) but have a much greater use. When force fed to a tamed herbivore, it restores the creature's maximum Health. An extremely valuable recipe to know. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Sweet_Vegetable_Cake
  • Bug Repellant - This reduces the aggressiveness of certain insects and other creatures towards the player. It can be extremely useful for survivors that venture into caves, as it greatly reduces the threat of being attacked by a variety of dangerous cave creatures. It's also necessary for the taming process of those very same creatures. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Bug_Repellant
  • Recipes - Linked is a chart with every food recipe in Ark from soups to Mindtonics and Broth of Enlightenment. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Recipes
  • Saddles - Most creatures in Ark require a saddle to ride them. It also gives them a little bit of armor when you're up against wild creatures. Linked is a page with all saddle recipes, at what level you can craft them, how much they cost and more. https://ark.gamepedia.com/Saddles
* For whosoever will save his life shall lose it, and whosoever
will lose his life for My sake shall find it. Matthew 16:25 *

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Postby NeoJabez » October 11th, 2017, 5:02 am

DynamiteTiger
CC Member
CC Member