Discuss things related to, or events for LoL
Tonywryip
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Tonywryip
Battle.net Profile: Tonywryip #11658

Where's love in the league channels?

Post by Tonywryip » March 13th, 2016, 12:36 am

Never uses the forums, this seems super complex...
anyways, how do I say this?
I have noticed that over the past few months, league players in the CCGaming league channels have being getting increasingly frustrated at the game and letting out their anger in negative ways.
This is my first experience in an online gaming community so I have never faced something like this before, but I don't think it's healthy for us to spill out our anger and lash out at the rest of the community in or outside of the teamspeak. I want change but I don't know where to start, and since I have the next two weeks off, I want to kick start something to bring the league community back to a Christian, loving one. Can someone point me in a direction to work towards?
word count: 142
Imagesomeone teach me how to use dis... plox

KustomElvis

Re: Where's love in the league channels?

Post by KustomElvis » March 13th, 2016, 12:49 am

AND this is why I retired from LoL. It made me nasty and I was doing REALLY nasty things to other people. I stepped away for many years and have never looked back. I would say my gaming life has gotten A LOT better after stepping away from all the anger, hate, and raging in general.

Best of luck on trying to bring the love back to LoL
word count: 68

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » March 13th, 2016, 2:57 am

Thanks for being honest about this, Tony! We need to have open discussion about what's going on in the community, and this is something not talked about enough. Here are a few of my suggestions:

1. We need contagious positivity. Positivity on how we talk about the game, how we talk about the players (whether we play or not), how we talk about the other team, how we talk about our own teammates...

2. We really need to ask ourselves what is our main motivation when we get in that game. Are we playing to rank up, to win, to be the star of the game, to be accepted by our peers, etc? Even if we don't always play like that, it is something that can grow and fester if we don't check ourselves.

3. As a community we need to spread the attitude of keeping each other in check. Nobody is perfect in their attitude, but if we never tell each other to cool down it just keeps happening.

4. Don't play chain-games. Most people queue into a new match the SECOND the new one is done. That's not a good habit, because you carry on the emotional stress of the last game. Even a quick 5-minute mental/emotional decompress is a great refocus.

If none of that works, we can just ban 'em ^^ (mostly sarcastic)
word count: 234

Tonywryip
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Tonywryip
Battle.net Profile: Tonywryip #11658

Post by Tonywryip » March 13th, 2016, 2:28 pm

I really liked the no chain queue idea, I think that is a good starting point.
How have CCGaming dealt with similar problems in other games? Surely it is not JUST the league community that is toxic right?
perhaps we could just learn from the past and apply it to the present?
word count: 52
Imagesomeone teach me how to use dis... plox

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: MikeFed
Origin Profile: MichaelFedorai
UPlay Player: MichaelFedora
Battle.net Profile: MikeFed#1151

Post by Michael Fedora » March 13th, 2016, 7:54 pm

Is this why we don't have many forum members? Are they just too complicated? :P . Back in my day...

I haven't been around when we were all busy with CS:S servers going crazy, but I can guess what Tolley suggested is what was done; ask people to cool down, and if they can't (after much grace, mind you), ban them for a set amount of time; i.e. time-out.

Again, the focus on why your gaming; if you're doing it for fun, socialness, then a toxic environment should be one of the last things on the list (and a fantastic loosing streak on top :D); whereas if it's all for winning, then environment is totally based off of how well the team is doing, etc.

This is why some of us have left LoL, and have moved to more social games like RL and Brawlhalla -- which, while can be competitive, have modes that make them more fun and less competitive.
word count: 165
[quote="Arca Jeth (SW Legends)"]"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light."[/quote]
On the Kingdom

"I didn't even know we had an army!" ~ Hunter, UK

The Winged Scribe
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ChronicleStone
Battle.net Profile: WingedScribe#1340

Post by The Winged Scribe » March 13th, 2016, 10:56 pm

I've never played League, but I think I can appreciate where this is coming from. I'm naturally a rather competitive guy when it comes to game (even if I don't play in competitive leagues), so I can get a little...intense. But a lot of it comes down to personal responsibility and knowing your limits. If you can feel yourself getting frustrated, it might be time to step away for a bit, as Tolley advised. It's especially dangerous for you if you stop having fun. That's the point that you need to pull yourself out. And this is a Christian community. Most of us here are Christians, meaning our example is that of Jesus Christ Himself. If we can't honor Him through our activities here (which are supposed to be fun and light-hearted), then perhaps our focus is in the wrong place.

I don't mean to come down as critical here; that's not my intent. But we are self-proclaimed "Christians first, gamers second." It just seems to me that if anger and frustration are the prevailing emotions when we play, then perhaps we have those in the wrong order.
word count: 199

"But that's a house!" ~ Michael Fedora
"Always good to have a plant." ~ Ongurth

Cal-Hobbes
Steam Profile: Cal-Hobbes
Battle.net Profile: CalHobbes#1941

Post by Cal-Hobbes » March 14th, 2016, 12:54 pm

You know, I'm really competitive in games like LoL, and CoD back in the day. But I've had a really great example of Christian gaming attitude from one of my old clan leaders. Saying "ggwp" or "Nice shot/kill", etc and MEANING IT, is really big thing you can do to keep positive attitude.

Humans have a big sense of self-entitlement, I think we actually talked about this the other day in a discussion related to suffering/the book of Job. And we're not entitled to a good day/game/event/moment, EVERY good thing comes from God and we're called to praise and honor him in the good and bad.

Does saying "bg" or being salty bring praise/honor to God? Certainly not. In the end, this all comes down to where a player's heart is at, and I think it would be good for us to keep each other accountable and let the salty one know via pm/voice "hey man, let's try to chill/be more Christ like."
word count: 178

ShaddaShk
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: ShaddaShk

Post by ShaddaShk » March 14th, 2016, 2:45 pm

Tonywryip wrote:How have CCGaming dealt with similar problems in other games? Surely it is not JUST the league community that is toxic right?
I don't think it got to the same level of toxicity that you are talking about, but something similar was starting to happen in the Rocket League group. Higher skilled players were starting to get annoyed, frustrated and even angry at less competitive players. Now the higher end players should be able to go play competitive without having to always hold back, we all need challenges. But it was getting to the point that no kindness or grace was being shown to less intuitive players.

When situations like this come up I always want to start asking questions - why are we getting angry? Is it the game? Or is it because we had a bad day and this is the outlet for our frustration? What is this anger doing to us?

One thing that the clan did during the Christmas gaming nights was have a little Bible verse and prayer before starting off the games. I felt that it was very helpful to myself in setting the tone of the game and reminding me about Christ first, gaming second. Perhaps that is something you could do for yourself and maybe the rest of your group. When you get together, before queuing up for a match, share some Bible verses or say a prayer.
word count: 238
"We've just put a hit on the man that just got married." ~Winged
"Get a Sunder and run people over. That always makes you happy." ~Kes

KustomElvis

Post by KustomElvis » March 14th, 2016, 3:44 pm

If people are doing such things in Rocket League, then no one is doing it when I am there. I always ask the super pros in custom games to hold back because if every game is 10 to nothing, then no one has fun and the pros will NOT get better at the game. I focus on fun and IF I am there I can take care of it and WHEN I am not there I can do nothing. If no one talks to me, then nothing gets done. When issues have come up in the past, sure we have a chat to clear the air, but more times, than not the atmosphere stays fun, people are competitive, they are learning the game the easy way or the hard way and overall, I do not have people coming to me raising issues.

Again this is all in the perspective of WHEN I am there, but if I am not I know nothing until someone steps up to the plate to say their piece.
word count: 173

AttolloDeus
Steam Profile: AttolloDeus

Post by AttolloDeus » March 14th, 2016, 11:26 pm

It definitely has happened in Rocket League, Elvis. (And unfortunately I've been a part of it, as well.) It's not specifically a LoL problem, but it is most often in the more competitive games.

Yes, Shadda!!! Bible verses and prayers mixed in with the games really help me get my head in the right place.
word count: 57