[Solved] BSOD's galore

Programming, Servers, Hardware, Software, Tech Talk!
Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: MikeFed
Origin Profile: MichaelFedorai
UPlay Player: MichaelFedora
Battle.net Profile: MikeFed#1151

[Solved] BSOD's galore

Post by Michael Fedora » January 3rd, 2017, 7:59 pm

Hello technical peeps!

I've been having quite a bit of bsod's these days. Most of them happened after installing new RAM quite a while ago, but my system has been fairly stable, crashing only 2 times in the first month (october) and once in December, but then once I got a new processor... things have been going kaplut. 9 BSODs in 4 days, average about 2 a day, though 4 happened today.

I thought it might've been RAM so I reduced those down to stock settings (they ship as 1866mhz, but I had to add the XMP profile to get them to that, bios defaulted them down to 1600), and the processor I got was an Atholon X4 880k (upgrading from an A8-7600 if I recall correctly).

BSOD history from the last few:

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a (ntoskrnl), happened at 6 hours apart, most recent one was 30 minutes ago.
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b (ntoskrnl), happened 10 am this morning.
A whole series of 0x00000139 codes from this morning to the day I installed the new processor.

I've done sfc /scannow, not problems, also ran a memtest (included in windows), no problems.
Currently I have cool'n'quiet on, turbo off, overclocked to 4.2 (stock is 4.0 turbo 4.2), memory settings should be reset.

I think bios drivers are good to go but I should probably double check.
(It's also been running a little sluggishly, with scvhost taking up a good 25% usually)

Any tips? =P

Here's an image from bsod viewer
Spoiler! :
.Image

-----------------------------------------

Edit (1/9/2017): Older mobo's don't support extra-new processors! I used a Godavari processor on a standard ol' Kaveri supporting mobo... didn't go so well. Solved!
word count: 292
[quote="Arca Jeth (SW Legends)"]"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light."[/quote]
On the Kingdom

"I didn't even know we had an army!" ~ Hunter, UK

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: BSOD's galore

Post by NeoJabez » January 3rd, 2017, 8:11 pm

Sometimes the MEMORY_MANAGEMENT 0x0000001a can pop up if your virtual memory settings aren't the way they should be...Or your page file is corrupt...

People generally let Windows decide on the size of the page file, and how much memory it uses, but you can go in and tailor it yourself? Have you already done so?

Very highly suggested reading: http://www.deskdecode.com/memory_management-0x0000001a/

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION 0x0000003b is, from what I know, almost always RAM related.

I suggest you not overclock until this is resolved, as per the above webpage.

Are there any items in your device manager that have the yellow exclamation point?
word count: 110
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Michael Fedora » January 3rd, 2017, 8:41 pm

Ran driver verifier, and it's all good.

Adjusting virtual memory is actually what I'm looking into right now, currently it's just 16gb, which is the same amount as I have physically installed. Dunno what I should set it too... was thinking a little less though. :shrug: .

I'll un overclock :(
word count: 53
[quote="Arca Jeth (SW Legends)"]"The enemy has found me, Ulic, but the enemy knows only darkness. I know something that enemy does not… I know the Light."[/quote]
On the Kingdom

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Michael Fedora » January 3rd, 2017, 9:09 pm

Un-overclocked and immediately got a bluescreen on bootup, another KERNAL_SECURITY_CHECK_ERROR (the 0x00000139). After the reboot we're up and running again.

sigh

RAM has been working fine this whole time, so I don't think that's the issue.

Mobo drivers are up to date...
word count: 48
On the Kingdom

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 3rd, 2017, 9:50 pm

I'm double checking but I think the page file should usually be 1.5 the size of your ram, or 20GB in this case.

However, when you start talking about large numbers like 16gb, it's really not as important as it used to be. I don't think most people use more than 1 or 2 gb of page file space at any one time unless they have a bazillion apps running at once.

Have you installed any new drivers recently?

Do you know how to access your minidump logs? That might help. The error you mentioned *(139)* happens sometimes when a newer program is trying to overwrite data that belongs to another program. Or, at least, that's what I understand could cause it. I'm still looking into this.

Also, please list your specs, like OS and BIOS, etc.
word count: 143

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Michael Fedora » January 3rd, 2017, 11:06 pm

Win10 x64, latest updates, latest bios, stock settings, GTX 1060 latest driver, 16gb 1866 ram... everything ran fine with old cpu. That's what I fear the most, that it's the new cpu.

I hiccuped in installing the new cpu, where I... had to wipe off all the pre-applied thermal paste and apply some of my own. But I don't think it's overheating.

svchost is constantly using up ~20% of my cpu, and "System" is also using 10-20. Even when gaming, which is really annoying.

Here are my bsod minidumps, the 139 and the 1a, for your perusal.

Thanks for yer help Neo!
word count: 108
On the Kingdom

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 4th, 2017, 12:46 am

Well, I've only looked so far at the first dump file, and EVERY SINGLE ERROR it threw was associated with chrome.exe

(Chrome is also known for hogging memory.)

Perhaps try another browser for a day and see if the crashes continue? Chrome may simply be mishandling memory somehow.

If you don't use Chrome, I'm not sure what to say next. heh
word count: 65

Michael Fedora
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Michael Fedora » January 4th, 2017, 10:20 am

It is odd how chrome is doing it... thanks for your help. I could either go to another chromium based browser or switch to edge/ff. _sigh_ :P .

thanks

-------

got another bsod last night, seems like I need to do a repair install. I'll try doing one of those too
word count: 50
On the Kingdom

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » January 4th, 2017, 1:48 pm

Let me know how it goes.

Just because the minidumps mention chrome doesn't mean it is the root of the issue.
word count: 22

shadowsbane
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:0:9248565

Post by shadowsbane » January 4th, 2017, 3:47 pm

NeoJabez wrote:Let me know how it goes.

Just because the minidumps mention chrome doesn't mean it is the root of the issue.

Agreed. It's entirely possible it's a hardware memory issue that's exacerbated by the way Chrome addresses memory. It wouldn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with Chrome, just unique in the way it operates.
word count: 61