Streaming questions/support

Have questions about streaming or video production? Want to discuss CC's Streams or YouTube videos? Here's where the magic happens!
Noctis
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: ccNoctis

Streaming questions/support

Post by Noctis » April 23rd, 2017, 2:48 pm

Hey everyone! Sorry I haven't been active at all lately, but this morning at church, we had a great sermon and during the message, I got to thinking about the Christian Crew. I also started thinking about what I've been doing with my free time, and I realized I'm not maximizing my potential or doing anything truly worthwhile at the moment, which was very sobering and humbling. Related: I have two friends who will be leaving for/returning to Taiwan soon to continue a two year ministry there. During there time back home, their commitment to one another and to God, and to me as a friend who wasn't even in their inner circle has really begun to open my heart back up. It's making me want to make a difference in even the smallest ways. It's also inspiring me to think of how I can minister to others using my skills and passions. Rather than trying to be like someone else, how can I be the best version of myself for God's kingdom and use the current tools at my disposal (while trusting God for whatever He has in store next).

TLDR: Recent events have inspired change.

All of that to say this: I've created a Twitch channel that has no real focus. During church today, I realized the best use of my creative skills, my free time, and my faith would be to use this channel as an opportunity to reach others. I would appreciate any prayer and feedback you can offer. Right now, this is a hobby of mine I'd like to pursue, but I want to make sure my motivations aren't clouted by fame or money (which has been a major struggle lately). I have quite a few scenes and overlays ready to go in OBS Studio and am pretty happy with how far my technical knowledge has come, but I still haven't quite found that "Aha" moment.

https://www.twitch.tv/krisishuman

P.S.

Some of you may remember that I struggled with determining a "good gaming" username for the future of my accounts. I still struggle with this, but I've determined I want to use my first name as part of my outreach.

I don't know if we can create polls here, but I'd love feedback regarding the name of the channel. Other ideas I've had are KrisSavesHyrule and other names, but I can't seem to find one I'm happy with (that also is available in social media).

If this helps, some of the more well-known streamers have included:
LeahLovesChief (minus some language, very positive streamer)
MissEllaCronin (minus some language, very sweet streamer)
BennyFits (cookie monster twin)
PastorSouzy
HaydnOSmith
SanchoWest (love his commentary style and clean streaming)
word count: 471
"As iron sharpens iron, so a friend sharpens a friend."
Proverbs 27:17 NLT

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Streaming questions/support

Post by NeoJabez » April 23rd, 2017, 3:44 pm

Not a bad stream test!

Personally, I kind of like krisishuman.

What else did you want comments on? The 'aha' possible purpose or focus of your stream?
word count: 27
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Noctis
CC Member
CC Member

Re: RE: Re: Streaming questions/support

Post by Noctis » April 23rd, 2017, 4:19 pm

NeoJabez wrote:Not a bad stream test!

Personally, I kind of like krisishuman.

What else did you want comments on? The 'aha' possible purpose or focus of your stream?
Thanks for that! Not really sure regarding the "aha." Maybe it's something I that has to grow in me. Just looking for feedback and advise at the moment. How does the design of everything look? I feel like it's lacking a lot of personality, but I don't want anything g super fancy either, seeing as I still prefer minimal/clean designs.

I'm also considering the name change for here in CC too if I still have that option, in order to get everything more consistent.

I have boys for mods at the moment and set up stream labs follow alerts. While I'm not looking to make this an income earner, I wanted to make the stream as fully fleshed out as possible. I'm not sure how my personality will shine as I don't much like being on camera, but I feel it's a worthwhile challenge nonetheless.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
word count: 189

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » April 23rd, 2017, 4:29 pm

Not sure what you're referring to with 'boys for mods'? But the first thing I would say is that I'm not really a camera person either...

Start with playing games, as you're doing, but I'm starting to realize that followers usually show up for SHOWS and EVENTS more than just watching gaming. So, if you stick with gaming streams, you have to be on the bleeding edge...Play betas not everyone is playing, buy games the second they come out, that sort of thing.

The most views I ever got on actual gameplay streams were when I played Assassin's Creed Syndicate when it first came out, and when I played the beta for the upcoming "Lawbreakers". People hadn't seen much of either before I streamed so they found those interesting to watch.

I think most people just find their "niche" as they go.

CC rules stipulate one name change, ever. heh (To avoid confusion, mostly.)

Please drop any questions you've got, we have some great and knowledgeable streamers in the community! Our guys are really excellent and testing streams for settings and the like, and I'm always available to help with logos, video, and other sources. I love to brainstorm new stuff.

(And by the way, I agree that Rise just wasn't as engaging as the original reboot for some reason. The tension is different.)
word count: 234

Noctis
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Noctis » April 23rd, 2017, 4:35 pm

NeoJabez wrote:Not sure what you're referring to with 'boys for mods'? But the first thing I would say is that I'm not really a camera person either...

Start with playing games, as you're doing, but I'm starting to realize that followers usually show up for SHOWS and EVENTS more than just watching gaming. So, if you stick with gaming streams, you have to be on the bleeding edge...Play betas not everyone is playing, buy games the second they come out, that sort of thing.

The most views I ever got on actual gameplay streams were when I played Assassin's Creed Syndicate when it first came out, and when I played the beta for the upcoming "Lawbreakers". People hadn't seen much of either before I streamed so they found those interesting to watch.

I think most people just find their "niche" as they go.

CC rules stipulate one name change, ever. heh (To avoid confusion, mostly.)

Please drop any questions you've got, we have some great and knowledgeable streamers in the community! Our guys are really excellent and testing streams for settings and the like, and I'm always available to help with logos, video, and other sources. I love to brainstorm new stuff.

(And by the way, I agree that Rise just wasn't as engaging as the original reboot for some reason. The tension is different.)
Bots for mods, sorry.

I must have hit the wrong key (typing on phone atm).

I'm not terribly worried about tons of followers, even a few would be nice once I get going. And I have actually considered IRL streams for things like cooking dinner or even prayer requests at the end of a stream maybe.

Regarding the name change, I figured that much. Just didn't know if when I had my name "changed" from n0ctis to noctis that counted or not. Lol

word count: 327

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » April 23rd, 2017, 4:48 pm

I would say no, that said change didn't cause any confusion, it wasn't completely different. heh
word count: 18

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » April 23rd, 2017, 4:53 pm

You should share what you used to get your 3 minute countdown...

Samuraid recently asked me for a countdown, and I just sort of forgot all about it. (Though I found a few places that offer nice ones, yours seems pretty straightforward and minimal.)
word count: 44

Noctis
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Noctis » April 23rd, 2017, 4:53 pm

NeoJabez wrote:I would say no, that said change didn't cause any confusion, it wasn't completely different. heh
Haha ok. Well I won't request a change yet. Still want to give this a test run before I cross that bridge.

word count: 49

Noctis
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Noctis » April 23rd, 2017, 4:57 pm

NeoJabez wrote:You should share what you used to get your 3 minute countdown...

Samuraid recently asked me for a countdown, and I just sort of forgot all about it. (Thought I found a few places that offer nice ones, yours seems pretty straightforward and minimal.)
Snaz. It's a bit of a mess, but I just use the Chrono tab and then copied the text file it generates. You have to run snaz and manually trigger the countdown to get it to work. It's fairly straightforward, but I wish I could find a simpler way, like a browser or embed plugin (which exists somewhere I believe).

Google search has a an easy to use guide somewhere. If I find it, I will send it to you.

word count: 134

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » April 23rd, 2017, 6:00 pm

One of the ones I saw was at a site I would suggest to you anyway...

www.nerdordie.com but even more specifically, his scene maker: https://nerdordie.com/free-resources/free-scene-maker/

He has interesting free resources all over the place, so look around, and back through his older posts, too. You can learn a whole bunch about how best to use OBS by watching how this guy develops his apps.
word count: 73