The move to Discord.

News and announcements from The Christian Crew
Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

The move to Discord.

Post by Kratos » March 20th, 2018, 11:00 pm

Hey CC folks! We are pleased to announce we will be moving to Discord as our voice communication program. There are multiple reasons, but the important ones are as follows:

1) We feel this is best for our community to continue to grow. The stats are very, very heavy for Discord. The other night we were talking and there were 92k people using Team Speak and 14 million using Discord. Those numbers just can't be ignored.

2) We are a community run off of donations. The people who donate trust that we will make the best decisions possible with their money. This move will save us a substantial amount of money a year. Along with this move we will also be taking away our TF2 server and moving our Ark server from a server box we own, to a singular rented Ark server. As of right this moment, to run our TF2 server, Ark server, and Team Speak server it costs us roughly $86 a month. With cutting our TF2 server, Team Speak server, and renting our Ark servers we will be cutting our monthly cost from $86 ($1032 a year) dollars a month to $30 ($360 a year) dollars a month. That's a substantial savings. We must continue to be strong stewards of our community's money.

3) Discord allows for safer game play. You can't join it without an invite. Once we ban you, you're banned. Your IP is banned, your account is banned. It's much easier to get around a ban in TS, than Discord. Sure, you CAN get around a ban, but it's more difficult. SkyRanger has worked tirelessly on creating a few different bots to make it as secure and fun as possible for it.

4) Our community is basically split on it. Discord did win the poll, but by a very slight margin. However, the general feel outside of our MEMBER base was that they preferred Discord. We spoke to a ton of people on Team Speak, on Discord, during meetings, outside of meetings, and everything in between. We did not take this decision lightly, and we feel this is the best one for us.

We understand that some of you are going to be displeased with this decision. Please, give Discord a real chance. Keep in mind, it's the people we are hanging out with and talking with that make the program. Not the other way around and the same people should be there, also.

Hopefully this move allows us some more financial freedom, allows us the opportunity to welcome even more new people to our community, and if we do both of those things we can try some new and exciting things around here. (stay tuned for some of that info)

The transition date as of right now is March 31st. That is the day our next bill is due and we have until April 5 to have moved. If we wait past then, without paying our next bill, we will be offline. This gives us six days to start switching and to be switched. Should be fun! As soon as we have the ARK info, we'll post another announcement.
word count: 536

KustomElvis

Re: The move to Discord.

Post by KustomElvis » March 20th, 2018, 11:49 pm

I posted this in the discord when talking to Sky and what it comes down to is giving it an honest to goodness chance in trying it out. If you just come into discord for 10 minutes and think it ALL SUCKS, then I would have to say your criticism of discord holds no weight and should be ignored. Now if you come in consistently for a good 7 days total, does not even need to be 7 days straight, just 7 different days and say that discord is junk and have your negatives about it, then hey much love and respect to you because at least you really gave it a fair shot.

The big thing people need to keep in mind is that this is an online community and instead of meeting at X building you all are now meeting at Q building. It is still a place to meet up, but this time, it has a place for cookies, drinks, and MORE. :3
word count: 166

GingerAvenger
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ccGingerAvenger
Origin Profile: ccGingerAvenger
Battle.net Profile: GingerAvenge#1819

Post by GingerAvenger » March 21st, 2018, 12:30 pm

Perhaps we should just leave at "give it a chance" instead of adding the "if your opinion isn't mine it has zero value".
word count: 24

Cal-Hobbes
Steam Profile: Cal-Hobbes
Battle.net Profile: CalHobbes#1941

Post by Cal-Hobbes » March 21st, 2018, 12:35 pm

I don't see why this transition shouldn't be smooth. I hope we'll see some more traffic from this :thup:
word count: 21

Ongurth
Council Advisor
Council Advisor
Steam Profile: ongurth
Location: doing fun and exciting things, such as praying, writing, shooting, or Krav Maga

Post by Ongurth » March 21st, 2018, 12:38 pm

This is an exciting! Hyped to have a chance at bringing some new people in here!
word count: 16

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » March 21st, 2018, 5:57 pm

Guys, I was showing Chef how to use Discord today and couldn't find a link to our Discord server anywhere on the website, except in the Members section (which he can't see) and one of the pre-meeting discussions. I'll make sure he gets an invite link, but could we have one out front somewhere soon? Thanks!

(If there's an obvious one and I missed it, please disregard between laughs.)
word count: 74

FutronBob
CC Member
CC Member

Post by FutronBob » March 21st, 2018, 6:38 pm

I think there should be an announcement about the move on the TS login popup (like the vote was) as soon as possible. People who don't frequent the forums need to be made aware so they can plan accordingly and not get left behind. :)
word count: 45

KingSteve032
Tech Support Director
Tech Support Director
Steam Profile: KingSteve032
Origin Profile: KingSteve032
UPlay Player: KingSteve031
Battle.net Profile: KingSteve032#1134
Formerly Known As: The Boss Man

Post by KingSteve032 » March 21st, 2018, 7:52 pm

FutronBob wrote:I think there should be an announcement about the move on the TS login popup (like the vote was) as soon as possible. People who don't frequent the forums need to be made aware so they can plan accordingly and not get left behind. :)
Done
word count: 48
He said to them,“...if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."
Luke 22:36

Kratos
Council Member
Council Member
Steam Profile: joshfitz08

Post by Kratos » March 21st, 2018, 9:22 pm

Kesarahk wrote:Guys, I was showing Chef how to use Discord today and couldn't find a link to our Discord server anywhere on the website, except in the Members section (which he can't see) and one of the pre-meeting discussions. I'll make sure he gets an invite link, but could we have one out front somewhere soon? Thanks!

(If there's an obvious one and I missed it, please disregard between laughs.)

Yes, we will have it posted as soon as we actually move. Once our admins frequent it a bit more (officially move) we will openly post the link. :)
word count: 104

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Post by NeoJabez » March 21st, 2018, 9:48 pm

I corrected KS' atrocious spelling in the popup. heh
word count: 9
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria