Something became legal yesterday and i wanna talk!!

Serious and MATURE conversations about Christianity
Paully
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: N1tr0us
Origin Profile: Nitrous1984
UPlay Player: Nitrous217
Battle.net Profile: LeoKinz

Something became legal yesterday and i wanna talk!!

Post by Paully » October 18th, 2018, 7:44 pm

So at my church my pastor loves doing these YouTube videos, where he uses the bible to answer difficult questions throughout life.

Found here:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... MO7bWR6zcb
As you can see there's a lot!!
What i want to talk about tho is this:

Reason being? Well i happen to live in Canada and weed just became legal yesterday!! O.o Honestly, I'm not sure what to think, it's like the prohibition in the 1920's with alcohol. I don't know what the early Christians did back then, but I'm pretty sure it didn't involve getting drunk as soon as alcohol was legalized! :D

So if weed ever did become legal where you live, how as a Christian would you approach it?
word count: 129

Zhies
Steam Profile: zhies
Battle.net Profile: zhies#1801

Re: Something became legal yesterday and i wanna talk!!

Post by Zhies » November 2nd, 2018, 6:18 pm

MEDICAL TREATMENT

The first question has to do with, is it being used as a "medical treatment" or not?

We had an individual in our church that has an immensely severe form of cancer in the throat, where he could barely drink and eat. There were very few forms of pain-killers that didn't make him "drunk" and so using marijuana was a merciful form of reducing the pain without having to submit to something more severe like opioids.

As I'm also an individual with a severe pain issue, I've found myself struggling over which meds to take, and in some cases I've made a personal choice to not take certain medications due to the severe side-effects - but that I was a personal choice that I did discuss with my doctor. I've actually had consultations with a Pain Management doctor, and I've used a variety of techniques to help manage my pain to include physical therapy, nerve flossing, heat/cold compress, elevation, and I even have a TENS unit (electric stimulation) that I use when it gets really bad. Besides all of the medical treatment, as a Christian I also have faith that God can and will heal me. I've asked God to heal me, and I've had people pray for me. I continue to believe and have faith of results that my situation will improve.

Not all medical issues are the same. Some people are in so much pain that there should be a way to extend mercy and give them relief. Whether through faith or medicine, we should advocate for helping people.

RECREATIONAL USE

The second question has to do with using a medical drug for "recreational use".

As some Christian faiths have different views on recreational drugs, you should consult with your church leadership to see what their perspective is. The bible of course has a variety of scriptures that can help us here. Proverbs 23 is a good place to start.

Many times recreational use of drugs can also be achieved by a variety of stress management techniques.

I work a stressful job, and so I understand the need to "deflate". There are a variety ways of doing this. I'm not a doctor, but all of the advice I've received from doctors and psychologists over the years focused primarily on nutrition and exercise habits. If those aren't in a healthy state, then of course focusing on improving those habits will help reduce stress levels most significantly.

People do a lot of things as stress management, which aren't healthy. This could include binge eating or any other unhealthy technique. So even besides exercising and good nutrition there are a variety of other good techniques that can be used for stress management to include breathing exercises, smiling, laughing, positive thinking, social support groups, and meditation. I personally find prayer as a good way to destress. Having a daily prayer life can help.

So if use of a medical drug for recreational purposes is absolutely necessary, it shouldn't be done in excess. Something to consider about marijuana specifically, is how it is going to be ingested. Smoking anything may not be healthy for the lungs, and I would encourage anyone to consider medical studies on implications whether or not the type of smoke could create lung problems to include anything from bronchitis to lung cancer. There is a lot of hype right now about vaping, and while I'm glad vaping has helped my brother to get off the cigarettes - I'm also hoping that the vape doesn't do anything worse to his lungs.

EXPENSES

Most importantly, regardless of how it is used it is going to cost something. There are many stress management techniques out there that would be more appropriate for a budget than going down the route of recreational drugs, and I said before not all situations are the same. However, my personal choice is that most drugs get expensive in the long-term, and so I try my best to minimize expenses with other cheaper and more efficient forms of relaxation.
word count: 691

Paully
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Paully » November 7th, 2018, 7:52 pm

Firstly i agree with everything your saying 100% and i don't think i coulda put it better myself!! :)
I'm just gonna get right into this now...
So as it stands i'm epileptic, sucks had an episode behind the wheel of my car almost killed me.
Medications i was on, were not working. I eventually i got on a working one and all was well. Now messed up thing is, since then my life has just gotten nothing but worse. :D . I laugh, but it ain't funny. This past year alone has seen the legalization of weed, me getting a toe amputated from a work injury, and having a relationship fall apart (cheating lvl), while trying to show Jesus!
So let's mix in the weed then, because of my epileptic nature this in Canada is something that would (medically) be available to me. But now it's legal now and i'm torn with this morality thing.
I dunno if any of that makes sense but lol :D
word count: 170

Zhies
Steam Profile: zhies
Battle.net Profile: zhies#1801

Post by Zhies » November 8th, 2018, 11:57 pm

I'm really sorry to hear about all of the trauma you've gone through this year Paully. I can definitely relate to the weight of life as this entire year I've had a medical issue resurface that has left me on my back and depressed for weeks at a time. Struggling just to get up and go to work with the fear of how much pain I'll be in, every day I have to make choices to not be defeated and to continue to believe in God for good things. It is a constant struggle for me, and I've found I need God more than ever before.

I'll be praying for you. Nothing is more difficult than having a relationship fall apart! With my friends that have had epilepsy all that stress can't be making your situation any better. :(
word count: 145

Paully
CC Member
CC Member

Post by Paully » November 9th, 2018, 9:27 pm

Appreciate the kind words, best thing you can do is exactly as you said. don't be defeated, get up laugh about it give it back to God and realize that your life is in his hands. Grass is always greener on the other side. Side note, i'm an extremely positive thinking guy, very patient and i got a tatt that reads "never give up" on my arm. Everyday i wake up, i see that. It's a constant reminder that no matter how difficult this life is I know that God will take me to where i need to be.

As for depression a wise man once told me "water off a ducks back bro" :thup:
Basically it means, water doesn't effect the feathers of a duck it just beads off, so should the problems and pain in this life, as we as Christians, are constantly giving our problems back to Christ. I dunno why but thru all my hardships in life, that line always stuck with me. Even in my deepest of depressions. When i lost my toe, it took me two weeks to give my depression back to God, not bragging, but the joy that i was filled with afterwards was beyond words. Something i wish more ppl in this world would choose to understand. Christ heals all wounds!!

Prayers right back at ya!! But to bring it full circle again, I know all the answers about alcohol and weed and drugs, but I honestly i find it so difficult to read in between the lines, where a christian fits, because my heart is sayin one thing and my gov is sayin another. I seriously think it woulda been easier being born in the 50's! lol.
word count: 291