Worth upgrading CPU now, or wait?

Programming, Servers, Hardware, Software, Tech Talk!
Post Reply
User avatar
NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member
Posts: 21
Joined: August 26th, 2018, 8:23 pm
Steam Profile: Nils Sargon
Origin Profile: Nils Sargon
UPlay Player: Nils Sargon
Battle.net Profile: Nils Sargon
Location: Maine, USA
Contact:

Worth upgrading CPU now, or wait?

Post by NilsSargon » December 27th, 2018, 12:53 pm

Looking for some other's thoughts and input here on my current rig, and whether I am better off upgrading my CPU now, or waiting until I can afford to upgrade the CPU, MoBo, and RAM all at the same time. or if there is something else that should be upgraded first that I am not thinking of.

Currently I have the following setup:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 555 Black (8 years old)
MoBo: Asrock 970 (6 years old)
GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 970 (3 years old)
RAM: 12 GB DDR3 (4GB 8 years old, 8 GB 4 years old)
PSU: Antec HCG750 - 750w (6 years old)
HD: 1TB HDD (8 years old), 250 GB SSD (3 years old)

My main issue right now is that the Phenom is to old to run the recent Ubisoft games (Assassins Creed Origins/Odessey, and Far Cry 5, I am sure that there are other games as well but those are the only ones I have run into the issue with so far) due to their requirements that the CPU support SSE 4.1 or higher.

So from what I have seen so far, I have three options,

1. Upgrade the CPU to a FX series

2. Upgrade the CPU to a Ryzen series, which would require also upgrading the MoBo since I will need an AMD4 socket, and upgrading the RAM as DDR3 is not supported on any of the MoBo's that I saw for AMD4 sockets

3. Wait a year or so and then go with option 2 and hope that both prices have come down and that my budget has gone up, as currently option #2 doesn't look very realistic.

for option #1 I am currently looking at the FX 8350 for around $100 which would equal about 20% increase in CPU power, but still leave me with an older system that will still need a major upgrade at some point in the next couple of years.

For option #2 I am looking at either the Ryzen 7 2700X for around $300 or more likely the Ryzen 5 2600 for about $170, and then a new MoBo for around $100-120, and 16 new GB of DDR4 RAM for about $100, so it would be about $400 for everything, but I would get about nearly a 100% increase in processing power plus a new MoBo and 33% more RAM and I would likely be all set for the next 4-5 years at least with that type of set up. :)

Take a look and let me know what your thoughts are, probably won't be doing anything for at least the next month or two as my budget recovers from the holidays ;)
word count: 455
"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

User avatar
NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations
Posts: 10609
Joined: June 5th, 2005, 7:00 am

Re: Worth upgrading CPU now, or wait?

Post by NeoJabez » December 28th, 2018, 3:11 pm

Honestly, Ryzen has come a long way at balancing out the war between Intel and AMD.

I run an Intel system, but I just upgraded my son to a Ryzen 7 2700x and this thing SCREAMS. I have more GPU power and RAM than he does, but other than that, his system is technically faster.

The Ryzen 7 2700x package is basically closing on benchmarks with the Intel Core i9!

There are other considerations...If you buy the 2700x rather than just a plan 2700, you get a Prism RBG cooler with the processor, and there are quite a few bundle deals on all of this at NewEgg, by the way.

If you went with the full upgrade, I don't think you'd wish you'd gone any other route. I will say that if you DO upgrade, the very next thing you'd want to look at is probably your GPU.

There are people here who know far more about Ryzen vs Intel and all of that, so hopefully they will chime in, but I would probably go for the full upgrade, if I could.
word count: 187
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

Image

User avatar
Imagine Wagons
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1204
Joined: July 16th, 2013, 3:22 pm
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823
Location: Somewhere on the interwebs
Contact:

Re: Worth upgrading CPU now, or wait?

Post by Imagine Wagons » January 3rd, 2019, 8:40 pm

Spec for Spec we pretty much had the same build, before Christmas.

Honestly. The FX series (specifically the 8 core processors) are a good call still, they still have the same clocks as the current gen Ryzen processors however don't have the same architecture. I got a AMD FX-8350 Black Edition for Christmas and it can handle anything I can throw at it. Not only that it doesn't require a memory refresh saving money for that upgrade that will be needed down the road. Granted don't expect to run most current Triple A games such as AC: Oddessy at ultra. With light over-locking you can pretty much get a Ryzen spec computer from a FX processor. The thing with FX is that it relies on core speed alone, not RAM unlike Ryzen so with that in mind the harder you push it the more you get out of it (keep in mind though overclocking may void your warranty so get a good cooler, preferably either the Coolermaster hyper 212 evo or a dual rad AIO liquid cooler, cost is going to be high though if you go with the latter.) However if leaks are correct and since CES is coming around the corner if Ryzen 3 has hyper-threading this might be a game changer when it comes to intel vs amd.
word count: 227
Image

User avatar
NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member
Posts: 21
Joined: August 26th, 2018, 8:23 pm
Steam Profile: Nils Sargon
Origin Profile: Nils Sargon
UPlay Player: Nils Sargon
Battle.net Profile: Nils Sargon
Location: Maine, USA
Contact:

Re: Worth upgrading CPU now, or wait?

Post by NilsSargon » January 6th, 2019, 8:53 am

Thank you both for the input. And yeah, I am not expecting to run all the new AAA titles on ultra with 60+ FPS with my current rig, even with a new CPU :) I am usually pretty happy with medium to high settings and 45-50 FPS lol

I have only done some minor overclocking in the past, how technical is the process to get the extra clock speed out of the FX? is it just a bios setting, or do you need a 3rd party software or something like MSI afterburner?

My current cooler is a SilenX EFZ-120HA3, which seems similar to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, one less heatpipe but ~20 more CFM, does that seem sufficient in your opinions or should I upgrade to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?

What are the odds that the prices drop after any CES announcements? ^_^

Thanks again for all of the input and feedback!
word count: 156
"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

User avatar
Imagine Wagons
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 1204
Joined: July 16th, 2013, 3:22 pm
Steam Profile: STEAM_0:1:32234823
Location: Somewhere on the interwebs
Contact:

Re: Worth upgrading CPU now, or wait?

Post by Imagine Wagons » January 9th, 2019, 6:03 pm

NilsSargon wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:53 am
I have only done some minor overclocking in the past, how technical is the process to get the extra clock speed out of the FX? is it just a bios setting, or do you need a 3rd party software or something like MSI afterburner?
You can use both but I usually find better luck with direct bios editing rather than software editing.
NilsSargon wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:53 am
My current cooler is a SilenX EFZ-120HA3, which seems similar to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, one less heatpipe but ~20 more CFM, does that seem sufficient in your opinions or should I upgrade to the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO?
I would upgrade as they are under $12 right now I believe? Not only that they do support AM4+ sockets as well. So it would be helpful for that future upgrade.
NilsSargon wrote:
January 6th, 2019, 8:53 am
What are the odds that the prices drop after any CES announcements? ^_^
Maybe? Don't know. Haven't checked prices they did announce Ryzen 3rd Gen however.
word count: 187
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests