Hello from Minnesota!

New to CC? Introduce yourself so we can get to know you!
SilverHoudini
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: silverpages

Hello from Minnesota!

Post by SilverHoudini » January 4th, 2019, 7:53 pm

Hello all! I go by Silver or Houdini or SilverHoudini. (I am a female)

I'm a horticulturalist and herpetologist from Minnesota who is a recreational gamer. I play mainly on PC, but we do have a PS4. I guess technically we have an Xbox360 as well, but we haven't even plugged it in in 2 years.

I generally play open world games, sandbox is my favorite (Sims, Terraria, etc). I did recently discover Elder Scrolls Online (PC). I tend to get REALLY into a game for a while, and then stop halfway through. Destiny was one of those. We'll see if I pick it back up. I don't generally enjoy competitive games as I get frustrated far too quickly.

A little about me. I mentioned I am a horticulturalist - I LOVE plants. Houseplants and Trees/Shrubs to be exact. I work at a local garden center managing the plants there. It's pretty awesome. I am also a herpetologist - a reptile keeper. My husband and I keep and breed a few different species of reptiles (Ball Pythons, Crested Geckos, Nicaraguan Boas are what we breed, we also keep Corn Snakes, Bull Snakes, Pacman Frogs, a Spotted Python, and a Leopard Gecko.) We love what we do, they are absolutely our babies. We also have 2 cats - Marshmallow and Bearclaw.

I have been searching for a church family for a while now. My job in retail means I rarely get to go to church. I do work for a Christian Company, but our company has made the decision to be open on Sundays, so I usually have to work. I get some fellowship at work, but I have been craving more. A gentleman that does our advertising for us mentioned this group, so I thought I'd check it out! (I'm sorry! I forgot your handle!)

I'm a fairly open book, so feel free to get to know me!
word count: 324
:ninja:
​"He made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment--to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ." Ephesians 1:9-10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8kgbpR1fSc

NeoJabez
Council Operations
Council Operations

Re: Hello from Minnesota!

Post by NeoJabez » January 4th, 2019, 11:07 pm

What a great welcome post, Silver! Great to meet you! I noticed you are getting to know people on the Discord server as well!

Hopefully you'll see or hear me around, but either way, welcome!
word count: 36
If serving is below you, leadership is beyond you. - Anonymous

Coram Deo, Soli Deo Gloria

SprinklesMiner
CC Member
CC Member
Origin Profile: sprinklesminer
UPlay Player: sprinklesminer
Battle.net Profile: sprinkydinky

Post by SprinklesMiner » January 5th, 2019, 8:04 pm

hi silver ! was nice saying hi to u on discord too. I hope we can play games together / maybe even draw together in the future :D

you said u were an open book , is it okay if i ask whats your story? how were you met? when did you surrender your life over to God?
word count: 54

Kesarahk
Council Member
Council Member

Post by Kesarahk » January 5th, 2019, 8:07 pm

I'm betting you were referred by Ongurth! =D Welcome!
word count: 10

Grizz Gallant
Steam Profile: †<CC>< Grizz Gallant
Origin Profile: GrizzGallant
Battle.net Profile: GrizzGallant#1761

Post by Grizz Gallant » January 6th, 2019, 6:33 am

Hello and welcome. Is it hard to keep your critters warm in Minnesota? Do you breed any feeder insects?
word count: 19

NilsSargon
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: Nils Sargon
Origin Profile: Nils Sargon
UPlay Player: Nils Sargon
Battle.net Profile: Nils Sargon

Post by NilsSargon » January 6th, 2019, 8:15 am

Hello and welcome! I am curious does the snake market seem to be growing? I had never heard of someone breeding snakes as a hobby/business but you are the second person that I have heard of doing it now in the past six months or so (the first being my brother-in-law who just started). Not sure if that is just anecdotal evidence of a growing trend or not though.
word count: 72
"He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8

SilverHoudini
CC Member
CC Member
Steam Profile: silverpages

Post by SilverHoudini » January 6th, 2019, 3:31 pm

Wow, didn't expect this kind of welcome. Thanks guys!
you said u were an open book , is it okay if i ask whats your story? how were you met? when did you surrender your life over to God?
Absolutely! The only time I "hide" things is because I could talk for hours if I didn't, or I want to be sensitive to other people. Plus, some details are pretty boring. ha ha ha. I grew up in the church. Going to church every sunday, Wednesday night youth group, that whole gambit. When I went off to college, I tried to keep up the faith, but the local chapter of CREW wasn't very welcoming. Lots of cliques and such. As a tom-boy type of girl, I wasn't super welcomed by the guys. So I stopped going. It was around that time that my depression and anxiety kinda hit a high. I had been dating a guy who wasn't the right fit for me and it turned into a very bad situation very quickly. After a round of bad mornings with him, he finally left me (best thing he ever did for me). I attempted suicide a few days later. Thankfully my father found me (I had moved back in with them) and I was immediately put into therapy. I also started going back to church with my parents. I dropped out of school for the year to help regain my footing. I met my husband during that time actually. Fast forward 6ish years, I'm out of therapy (and now back in it, but that's a different story), off meds, happily married, graduated from college and starting year 3 at my full time job. So essentially I've always had my life in God's hands. There's been ups and downs, but if the last few years have taught me anything, it's that we can try our hardest to get away from God's plan, but He's got the most curious ways of pulling back onto His path. Sometimes it's a simple nudge, other times it's a shove off a cliff. I would say my life motto is "Sometimes, when God closes a door, He opens a window. Other times, He points you towards a wall and tells you to run."
I'm betting you were referred by Ongurth!
Very well could have been! Like I said, I forget his handle. I didn't write it down and didn't see it written, so unfortunately I'll never actually remember it. Whoever it was, I'm glad he did!
Is it hard to keep your critters warm in Minnesota? Do you breed any feeder insects?
It can be difficult, yes. We have a dedicated reptile room that we keep the door closed to. Thankfully it only has a single outside wall. It stays approximately 75* in the winter. I wish it would be a touch warmer, but I don't want to run a oil heater in there. It's actually more difficult to keep them cool in the summer. Our apartment doesn't cool down very well during the hot days. :( The species that require higher temps are all on what's called heat tape (essentially specially designed heat emitting sheets) that are all connected to thermostats so we can monitor the temps. We check them on a regular basis to ensure that everything's running correctly. We do breed a few feeder insects. Dubia roaches are our main feeder. I am in the process of setting up some mealworm colonies. I also keep several species/varieties of Isopods as a curiosity and clean-up crews in my bioactive enclosures. We used to breed our own rats with another reptile breeder, but we recently split off from him, so now we buy in frozen rats and thaw them out as needed.
I am curious does the snake market seem to be growing? I had never heard of someone breeding snakes as a hobby/business but you are the second person that I have heard of doing it now in the past six months or so
I think it's becoming a bit more popular, yes. People are starting to realize that reptiles aren't inherently evil. I believe they're also becoming more available. You see them at Petsmart and Petco and Pet Supplies Plus more often now than you did 10 years ago. (I do NOT advocate buying from them though). I think it's also becoming less of a stigma to own a reptile. Used to be only the fringe of society owned them. Only the big and the tough. But that's not the case anymore. It's not a black market, but it's a hidden market. I think you'd be surprised how many keepers there really are. We're coming out into the open a bit more. It all boils down to educating people about the reality of these beautiful creatures.
word count: 839
:ninja:
​"He made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ, to be put into effect when the times reach their fulfillment--to bring unity to all things in heaven and on earth under Christ." Ephesians 1:9-10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8kgbpR1fSc

corilus 763
CC Member
CC Member

Post by corilus 763 » January 7th, 2019, 9:21 am

hello,
nice to have you in here, I'm from Minnesota as well, I'm from the Anoka area, if you ever want to game let me know, I need to try and be on here more but work nights so I'm on more on weekends, it's super cool you like reptiles.
word count: 54